PDA

View Full Version : Cooper 57m First Impressions

birch
12-11-2016, 10:24 PM
I did some horse trading over the weekend and ended up with one of my dream guns: a Cooper 57m LVT in 17hmr. I have fondled a couple in my local gun shops, but this is the first time I have spent some quality time with one.

In short, I think this gun is a masterpiece! I have always considered the pre-64 model 70 to be the epitome of production line semi-custom firearms. I think Cooper has the 70's beat hands down. There is not a single flaw anywhere on the gun. The wood to metal fit is astonishing and the Cooper has hand checkering second to none. This gun has AA+ alnut, but I feel that the flame, figure and tight grain could easily be AAA+ if it were graded outside of the industry.

Accuracy:. We are in the middle of a cold snap with a bunch of snow, so I am not able to do 100 yard testing. However, I set up a target at 40 yards, and once I zeroed in the scope, I made a series of three shot groups and each group was one hole. There were no cloverleafs--there was only one hole that was a bit fuzzy on the edges. I have had a bunch of high end rifles and pistols, but the trigger on this Cooper is unbelievable. I have never felt anything that breaks so cleanly with no overtravel. I have felt nothing like it.

I am hoping to hear some other thoughts and opinions from other Cooper owners.

Doc Highwall
12-12-2016, 12:54 AM
I have a 57M left hand in 22lr. with AAA wood top off with a Shepard scope made for 22. Nice rifle that shoots as good as it looks.

birch
12-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Once I see how the groups open up at 100, I will see if I am getting the 22. I am hoping someone will chime in on the center-fire Cooper rifles. I think a 22-250 would be a neat rifle if it shoots anything like this 17hmr.

snowwolfe
12-12-2016, 10:30 AM
I also own a LVT in 17 HMR. If it doesn't shoot 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards it is my fault. Also own a Custom Classic in 22 LR and a JSR in 22 mag. Once the wife seen how good they shoot and look she wanted one as well. Her's is a 22 LR JSR. About 2 years ago picked up a 7mm/08 Classic for deer hunting but haven't used it yet.
They make a great rifle and stand behind their product.

birch
12-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Have you shot the 7mm-08? If so, is the trigger similar to the lvt? I should have mentioned my 17 is the lvt model.

lefty o
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
ive owned a trp3 for quite a few years now, dang hard to beat a cooper for the money.

snowwolfe
12-13-2016, 12:26 AM
I have shot it. Trigger is very crisp and breaks at about 3 pounds.

rbertalotto
12-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Now you need a "Proper 17HMR Bore Guide"....Beautiful rifle!

17hmrboreguide.com (http://17hmrboreguide.com)

joesig
12-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I have a 21 in .221 Fireball and a 22 in 6MM BR. The Fireball shot sub MOA with the CB load I threw together. (Way more reload than handload)

I haven't shot the 6MM much but either are quick to tell me if I miss, it's ALL my fault.

Christmas is coming up. Treat yourself to a real present.

birch
12-24-2016, 02:22 AM
well, I can put as many rounds as I would like inside an inch at 100 yards. That is good enough for the girls I go out with. If anyone is considering a Cooper for Christmas, I think you will enjoy the rifle. I am hooked. I am thinking 7mm-08 would be the ticket.

Merry Christmas all.