PDA

View Full Version : Ruger gsr 5.56

mike corbett
12-11-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm think about buying a gsr 5.56 .And was wondering if anyone cast bullets for this gun ,if so what is the best weight bullet , nose shape and what size sizer die . I would need. I know it's a 1 and 8 twist. I know I could wait and check it myself , but I can't ! Want it bad and need to reload for it as soon as I get it. You know it's a addict thing!!!

5Shot
12-11-2016, 10:48 PM
1:8 seems pretty fast for cast... hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

W.R.Buchanan
12-18-2016, 05:48 PM
I'd try to run the largest .22 cal. bullets I could find, but the .223 isn't a real good cast boolit caliber to begin with. That gun will shoot best with 55-67 gr jacketed bullets. and when you can get jacketed bullets for .07-8 cents each messing with cast is a big unnecessary PITB.

Cast also have to be gas checked in order to shoot at all, so that's another PITB and expense.

I'd go to a few of the major outfits like Midway or Mid South and see if they still have the Hornady 55 gr FMJ's they had a few months back for that cheap price.

Just my .02

Randy

Jack Stanley
12-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm with Randy on this one , .22 cast can be done but I'd say that two things are required in a persons personality , patience and ruthlessness . To be careful about what you do and be ruthless in inspecting the bullets .

Me ? I cast for the .223 and make low velocity plinking loads mostly . But I did buy a case of Hornady FMJ's from Midsouth for a very good reason .

Jack