PDA

View Full Version : A task for us all

rl69
12-11-2016, 06:36 PM
For the most part the bible study I use is from Greg Lowry. (He doesn't send one out on Sunday's) He did send this out today

Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."—Matthew 1:23 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=0d5509f54e&e=3dd732485b)Ronnie,

Has anyone wished you a "Merry Christmas" yet, or is it still too early?

I prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays," but I don't get confrontational about it. Instead, I want to be gracious. After all, Christmas isn't always a happy time for everyone. For someone who has lost their job, this is not the most wonderful time of the year, because so much emphasis is placed on a merry Christmas being a materialistic one.

There are also those who have lost loved ones. I am one of those people, and things that once made me happy at this time of year now often make me sad, because they evoke memories of times we spent together. Christmas has become a difficult time for some people.

There are many who are in need of encouragement at this time of year. They don't need a Christmas present; they need His Christmas presence. They need to be reminded of what this season is all about. It is not about things. It is not about presents.

These things have their place, but we need to remember the essential message of Christmas, which is Immanuel—God is with us. And for the hurting person, the lonely person, the sorrowing person, this is the time of year to bring the gift of encouragement to them and say, "The message of Christmas is: God will be with you. God will help you. God will strengthen you."

Ronnie, I'd like to encourage you to look for opportunities to share the love of God during this season, because it is a time when we seem to be more open to engaging in conversation with others. Now is a great opportunity for you to bring encouragement to someone who is struggling.

Merry Christmas!
Greg

Boaz
12-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Ronnie our thoughts are much alike . Emmanuel ...I started to make a post this morning based on that and the meaning . I agree with your commentary , we are to set an example . Our lives are a testimonial . Thank you !

USMC87
12-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Agree, Amen.

Pine Baron
12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks for a very timely reminder. Our task should be to lighten the burden and spread the joy. Merry Christmas, indeed.

dverna
12-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Yes, losing a loved one can make this time of the year difficult.

Let us be grateful for those we love and those who love us. Let us also rejoice in those we loved and those who loved us but are no longer with us.

Don Verna

Preacher Jim
12-12-2016, 12:37 PM
my mother died December 23rd three years ago family joke, She loved Christmas so much she wanted to spend it with the Lord.
thanks Rl

Blackwater
12-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Amen to all the above. And it's a reason why we need to be ever mindful of those about us, and how we might, at least sometimes, be given the words that some need to hear. It's about our essential character, and our willingness to go upon the errand of those for whom this time brings sad memories to the fore. Sometimes, a gentle smile, and an "I understand, but I hope you have a good Christmas anyway, for the memories they left you," is all it really takes. But you have to MEAN it. Folks know intuitively when you're saying something lightly, and not really meaning it deeply. So just nod, acknowledge their sorrow, and a respectful smile anyway, and let them know, however it comes to you to do so, that you really DO understand, and that you wish them the best anyway.

Many feel their own happiness is connected to those around them that they love, when it's NEVER been granted to any of us that it be that way. We're given loved ones to care about, and are entrusted with their love and their meaning in our lives, but when we lose one or more, it's difficult, but it's really up to us to be grateful that we had these wonderful people in our lives, and that we learn to appreciate their presence in our lives, for as long as they're given us to have them there. These are the people that have simultaneously given us a bit of insight in how Heaven will be, and they make us better people at the same time. Loss of one like this leaves a big hole in our lives, but that's no reason to stop living, loving and honoring our Lord. And it's time to take stock, and realize all the OTHER things God has blessed us with in our time here. It's awfully humbling to lose someone close to you at this time, but God always has His reasons, and we often don't understand them unless and until we learn to trust him fully and wholly, and surrender our own wills to His. Again, that's not easy. It's NEVER been easy. But it'll always be the best, and probably ONLY way we can effectively and gracefully deal with these things in life.

And the good part comes from the assurance given us that "All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord." He never takes something from us, without giving us something in return. But it's up to us to realize that, and simply LET Him work His "magic" in our lives. Our wills blind us to so much in this world. Sometimes, a loss is the key to becoming what God always intended and wanted us to be. In all things, and at all times, we're to praise God, even when we're hurting and saddened. This doesn't eliminate the loss, but it does give it some real meaning, and without meaning in our lives, what would we be like? I don't believe I even want to imagine that!

So Merry Christmas, folks, whatever memories this season brings to you. It's about the Christ Child's birth, that assures us that we'll all meet again one day. What greater assurance could we possibly ever have than that?

shoot-n-lead
12-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks for posting that reminder.