PDA

View Full Version : Info needed for a flintlock lock

labradigger1
12-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Decided I'm going to build a full stocked flinter in the near future. I bought a bunch of stocks and green mountain barrels a year or two ago and sold all of it at gun shows and kept out enough to make one for myself.

I've always had caplocks and inlines so a rock lock will be new to me.
As I'm looking around on different sites I'm seeing all types and impressive prices for locks.

What I'm looking for is advise on what to look for. I would like something of good quality and easily tuneable but don't have any idea as where to begin or possible brands.
New or used would be acceptable as long as the quality is there.
Thanks all.

Themoose
12-11-2016, 06:50 PM
I'm by no means an expert. I've had 4 flintlocks, all with different locks and my current is the best.. it has an L & R... works well for me..

reivertom
12-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I would seriously consider a Chamber's lock if I were you. I have several and they perform great. You do not want to save your money on locks.....especially on a flinter. These may be a bit more money, but this is where you want to spend it. They also stand by their products. A poorly performing lock will sour you quickly on a flintlock.

http://www.flintlocks.com/locks.htm

Another company I would consider is R.E. Davis. I have one of them that is nice and haven't heard any bad about them.

http://www.redaviscompany.com/locks.html

rfd
12-11-2016, 08:22 PM
i'll second a jim chambers lock as well - always my first choice and what's going into a new rifle and smoothbore that are being built right now.

also, do consider a chambers white lightning touch hole liner.

mooman76
12-11-2016, 08:34 PM
I agree with weivertom. I don't know that much about flint locks but I know enough that this is the last place you want to skimp. The lock id the key to the whole gun working right. With a caplock you can get by with a cheap(er) one.

labradigger1
12-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm definitely looking for a quality lock.

waksupi
12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
I like Chambers, good geometry. I would avoid the small Queen Anne lock however, as I have had part failures on two of them, with not more than a few hundred rounds through each. One cock failed, and I've had a broken mainspring and frizzen spring. Something wrong metallurgically they need to work out. Don't ever say anything bad about them on ALR, though, the post will be deleted and your *** gets chewed. Why a board would want to shield a defective item, I don't know. I do know when I build a rifle or smoothie, Chambers is still my first choice.

labradigger1
12-11-2016, 09:49 PM
I like Chambers, good geometry. I would avoid the small Queen Anne lock however, as I have had part failures on two of them, with not more than a few hundred rounds through each. One cock failed, and I've had a broken mainspring and frizzen spring. Something wrong metallurgically they need to work out. Don't ever say anything bad about them on ALR, though, the post will be deleted and your *** gets chewed. Why a board would want to shield a defective item, I don't know. I do know when I build a rifle or smoothie, Chambers is still my first choice.

What is ALR?

StolzerandSons
12-12-2016, 12:00 AM
ALR = American Long Rifle Forum

First choice would be Chambers locks, second would be R.E. Davis. My alternate choice used to be Siler but Siler is now owned by Chambers. And in a definitive last place is L&R or as they are sometimes called Loose and Rusty.

Chambers locks almost never need any tuning, just normal polishing.
R.E. Davis are usually very good but sometimes they need a little tuning.
L&R almost always need a bit of work and they are almost always loose right from the start.

Hope that helps.