PDA

View Full Version : Poodle Lube

many ponies
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Dont want to start nothin, but is there anyone here that remembers the recipe for poodle lube?:castmine:

leftiye
06-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Can't remember the recipe (never knew it). So, what bore are yuh gonna shoot them poodles out of? I never liked them neither! Crisco ought to work OK though. Usin' B.P?

dromia
06-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits many ponies. :drinks:

Poodle lube? better be careful the RSPCA doesn't see that, they may be onto you for unnatural practices mate. :-D

Ricochet
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Tried KY?

AZ-Stew
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome, Many Ponies.

Wow! You're going to think we're a bunch of smart @$$e$ here. I just ran a search on the site and couldn't find anything. I also ran a Yahoo and a Google search. The only thing that turned up was this thread.

Sorry.

Stew

many ponies
06-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually it was sort of a humurous sort of thing, looong time ago on one of the boards, not sure which one, might have been the old bcpr forum, some one told the story of how his wifes pet poodle was scooting his rear end across the carpet, and his daughter (that knew about these things) decided that the glands under his tail needed drained, got a rubber glove on and drained em.
whoever it was, might have been a guy that posted under the handle "grandpa xx" hated to see the oily substance go to waste, so he put it in a batch of felix lube he was cooking up.
It seems this batch of lube was the best lube ever made in the whole world, but was never duplicated due to the fact that the oily substance had not been measured correctly.
Any way that was back in the "day" and in the meantime i sort of got away from shooting for a few years, but have got out the boolet molds cleaned my pot and rifles, and planning to start again.
many thanks for answering the thread

MP

454PB
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Ahhh....so this was a test of sorts?

many ponies
06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
To answer the question about what i shoot,
Yes I shoot black in a 45/70 sharps 74, that is a custom made rifle and a 50/90 rolling block antique that someone converted to a underlever type rifle,
I also shoot a lot of surplus powder of various kinds in a high wall.

MP

many ponies
06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Ahhh....so this was a test of sorts?

Sort of, i wanted to find out if my poster was up and running,

MP

Ricochet
06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Might be easier to make some "skunk lube." It'd help to clear out the smartalecky black rifle shooters (shooters of black rifles, I'm not making any racial comments here) on the benches downwind...

JIMinPHX
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
One of my little brother’s pit bulls had that same glandular problem a few years ago. When the vet expressed his glands, that dog made some of the most unusual noises that I have ever heard come from an animal.

Morgan Astorbilt
06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I know when my leg is being pulled. [smilie=1:
I posted the same thing about ear wax one time. Had to do with the occasional unlubed bullet you find when loading, and if sticking it in your ear and spinning it a time or two, would add enough wax prevent leading.:-D
Morgan

leftiye
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I think that "lube" you get from your dog rubbin' its a$$ across the rug is more the stinky brown "lube"?

BOOM BOOM
06-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi,
Skinned A Skunk Once.
Prob. Will Not Do That Again!
Did Not Pop The Glands, And It Was Still So Bad. I Decided Not To Cook & Eat The Skunk.
By The Way Skunk Oil From The Glands Is Used (modified ) In Some Very Expensive Perfumes. Back In The 60's It Could Be Sold For $100/oz.
Heard Of Cat Lube, Some Here Have Even Used It As A Flux.
Neighbors Complain About The Yellowing When You Drop Them In The Pot :-d Though.

BOOM BOOM
06-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi,
Skinned A Skunk Once.
Prob. Will Not Do That Again!
Did Not Pop The Glands, And It Was Still So Bad. I Decided Not To Cook & Eat The Skunk.
By The Way Skunk Oil From The Glands Is Used (modified ) In Some Very Expensive Perfumes. Back In The 60's It Could Be Sold For $100/oz.
Heard Of Cat Lube, Some Here Have Even Used It As A Flux.
Neighbors Complain About The Yellowing When You Drop Them In The Pot Though.

hammerhead357
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Boom Boom, ROTFLMAO at the last one of yours. Bet you have to really be careful of them kicking hot lead around. I have a bunch of the darned things around here and would like to find a good use for them. However my 9 year old daughter thinks otherwise....Wes

randyrat
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Whats wrong with ear wax. It just takes longer to wax a lot of bullets. I think Poodle lube is made from the nether region of Canin type (dog).. It saves going to the Vet and having them squeeze those glands empty. I give my dogs a couple peices of bread once or twice a week and they squeeze them when they....well you know:???:

jhrosier
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I know when my leg is being pulled. [smilie=1:
I posted the same thing about ear wax one time. Had to do with the occasional unlubed bullet you find when loading, and if sticking it in your ear and spinning it a time or two, would add enough wax prevent leading.:-D
Morgan

Morgan,

I heard, somewhere, that the toughest of the old buffalo hunters could lube and size the bullets by pushing them in flush.[smilie=1:

Jack

pjh421
06-21-2008, 01:45 AM
There used to be a website called People Against Poodles. It was really funny because folks would write in about why they hated them. I was hoping this thread would illuminate the need for ground poodle, but alas, it does not.

Paul

randyrat
06-21-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't know how many times the large poodle has won the world championship in hunting. They are good.

Ricochet
06-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know how many times the large poodle has won the world championship in hunting. They are good.They're good, huh? Got any recipes you'd like to share?

StanDahl
06-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I just stumbled across this thread, and almost let it go until I saw my story being attributed to xxgrampa. He and I are good friends, but I couldn't let him take credit so easily. This was on the old Shooters.com Cast Bullet board. Stan

31710: Poodle Lube
04/01/01-3:43 AM Posted by: StanDahl
The other day as my wife’s little rat poodle was scooting its butt across the floor, (just about for the last time, I thought) my mother-in-law pointed out that it needs to have its glands squeezed. (The anal glands clog up, causing discomfort and keeping other dogs from getting the whole story when they come sniffing around.) I reluctantly held the dog while she squeezed it out, and instead of a foul smelling turd based crud, out came a tacky cheese the color and consistency of liquid alox! The smell wasn’t as bad as I had expected either, kind of musky. Nothing I’d want to wear, but not awful.

I collected a small amount of this stuff and melted it up about 1:3 with beeswax, enough to hand lube about 20 bullets. I used it on the Lee 7.65/303 (straight ww) in my 1891 Argentine Mauser at approximately 2500 fps with no leading, and it left the bore clean and shiny too. Accuracy with 40 grains of H380 wasn’t incredible, but I’m sure I’ll be able to work something up when more butt squeezings become available. Luckily my mother in law has a whole herd of the little vermin and she gives them way better food than we do. We’ll see if Eukanuba produces better poodle cheese than the Road Kill ‘n Rice we serve our little Jacques.

Some tips: Don’t wait until they scoot, you’ll lose valuable goo. Get your finger in there upstream of the gland to make sure none of it gets away. Wear face protection in case there is a sudden loosening of the blockage! Give the dog an enema if you are concerned about fecal contamination of your lube, but keep in mind that the process isn’t fun for the dog and they have sharp little needle teeth. Don't use an enema that is too warm or it will over soften the cheese - not too much water either or you might launch Fifi across the yard - see Ultramag44’s post on the cat topic a while back. Shave the dog’s backside first, but never use your own razor. Don’t cook up this lube or shoot it with other dogs nearby. By nearby, I mean within 1 mile, or you’ll have more attention than you can cope with.

I’m sure someone with more time on his hands and more curiousity will want to experiment with this new and exciting lube base and post some results. Maybe someone who works at a local dog pound can provide a steady supply? Felix should be able to analyze a sample and explain just how it works so well. Enjoy. Stan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
31711: Poodle Lube
04/01/01-7:59 AM Posted by: dawallace45
StanDahl, Just read your post , almost spraypainted the computer with regurgitated beer , this whole concept is a bit rough , know all about dogs and their glands , had to do it last week and not for the first time either , I am still gagging at the thought of it as I write this , Regards , David
------------------------------------------------------------------------
31713: Poodle Lube
04/01/01-8:37 AM Posted by: beltfed
Yes,and APRIL FOOL TO YOU, TOO
BELTFED

many ponies
06-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Stan:
Thanks for clearing up the poodle lube story.
I didn't remember all the particulars of the poodle lube, but kind of thought it might flush out some of those guys, Yourself, xxgrandpa, and the rest that sort of got me started casting, and cost me so much buying guns.
I still have the guns, a box of boolit molds, and enough lead to last years.
I really enjoyed shooting back then, and enjoyed the daily postings by that bunch, and am really looking forward to getting started at it again.

MP

uncle joe
06-22-2008, 10:25 PM
that story didn't sound any better the second time
yuk:groner:
I'll keep buyin my lube from Lars
:-D

many ponies
06-23-2008, 07:39 AM
that story didn't sound any better the second time
yuk:groner:

Heh, heh, heh,,Uncle Joe said BUY LUBE,,,heh heh heh:mrgreen:

MP

many ponies
06-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Well, I'm going to Michigan for a visit with my sister and her bunch.
While there I will search for the famous PETOWSKI stone.
It is rumored that if you have one of these stones in your pocket while casting 100% of your boolits will be keepers.
I will check with you fine folks when I return 1st week in July.

MP

sniper
06-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Yeah, but what do he use in his lube??? :mrgreen: