PDA

View Full Version : Brrr cold.

jeepyj
12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Member PMG, two other site stalkers plus myself went shooting this morning.
7 degrees outside with a mild wind. Some say we're crazy but being dressed properly it's not unbearable. We each put a couple hundred rounds down range and for the most part hit remarkably well given the conditions.
For the most part this bunch of guys along with a few others has only missed a very few Sunday mornings in the last couple years mostly due to rain.
So out of curiosity what is your weather cut off point?

182520 182521182522182523

Ithaca Gunner
12-11-2016, 07:33 PM
About 50 degrees F! My joints just don't work well colder than that.

Bzcraig
12-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Mine isn't temp, it's wind! if it's 25 overcast and windy, no go. If it's clear, sunny and 10 no worries.

Bob in Revelstoke
12-11-2016, 08:26 PM
It was -10C here today with light snow. No wind. Hot rifle barrel makes good hand
and finger warmer even with gloves on.

runfiverun
12-11-2016, 09:49 PM
I cut off at about negative 20.

lightman
12-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Probably a lot warmer than yours! Our temperatures don't get as cold as yours but the high humidity makes them seem worse. I Duck hunted yesterday with the temps starting out around 24 and a light wind around 7 mph. The humidity was in the 90's.

jeepyj
12-11-2016, 10:25 PM
About 50 degrees F! My joints just don't work well colder than that.
Heck, if we waited untill it was 50 again we wouldn't shoot again till spring. Haha. Maybe in a few years well relocate to a bit warmer climate.

jeepyj
12-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Mine isn't temp, it's wind! if it's 25 overcast and windy, no go. If it's clear, sunny and 10 no worries.
Bzcraig, your dead on with the wind. That's exactly how we feel. We generally try to get out early before the wind picks up only trouble with that it it usually a bit more chilly early. All good just getting out for a few hours.

runfiverun
12-11-2016, 11:24 PM
revolver time..:lol:
I hate picking up brass in the snow...unless it's someone else's.

dragon813gt
12-11-2016, 11:34 PM
It easy to keep the body warm. No matter what my hands get cold and stop working. I'm forced to work outside in the elements. So I don't subject myself to the cold unless I absolutely have to. Cuts down on shooting time. But wearing thick gloves while shooting is not something I like to do.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-11-2016, 11:44 PM
7º ..."Brrr cold" is right.
I don't go out plinking unless it's at least 20º and sunny, or 40º and cloudy.
but that is good wood cuttin' weather :)

MaryB
12-12-2016, 12:25 AM
Now about 40 is my limit. To much arthritis in my spine and below that I stiffen up badly. Back when I was younger we pheasant hunted in Iowa when it was -20f with a -40f(-40c also!) windchill! We were crazy back then... then age caught up with us.

edler7
12-12-2016, 12:27 AM
When I see a Democrat with their hands in their OWN pockets, then I know it's too cold.

runfiverun
12-12-2016, 01:45 AM
I hate to even tell y'all this but when it's cold I generally only shoot handguns.
I pull up next to the pistol bay set up my target on my target frame, roll down the window turn the heat up a click, and rest my arms on the edge of the window.
I have a little piece of pool noodle I slit to go over the window edge.

Plate plinker
12-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I hate to even tell y'all this but when it's cold I generally only shoot handguns.
I pull up next to the pistol bay set up my target on my target frame, roll down the window turn the heat up a click, and rest my arms on the edge of the window.
I have a little piece of pool noodle I slit to go over the window edge.

those funoodle are great. Kids keep wondering why they get a little shorter.

Doughty
12-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Our gang shoots on Thursday morning, whatever the weather. This last Thursday it was 2* and sunny. And revolver shooting was the only game being played. We did head to the coffee shop a little earlier than normal though.

waksupi
12-12-2016, 10:27 AM
As a nudist, I must say I vehemently disagree with this cold weather.

Deep Six
12-12-2016, 10:52 AM
I quit when it's so cold my eyes tear up and cloud the sights. Generally it takes a combo of wind and very cold temps. 0 F with 20 mph wind will usually do it.

jonp
12-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Heck, if we waited untill it was 50 again we wouldn't shoot again till spring. Haha. Maybe in a few years well relocate to a bit warmer climate.

My wife and i did from northern vt. I hear its about to get colder up your way with more snow

Porterhouse
12-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Ugh....
What a bunch of wimps! If you have time, place to shoot, go out and put some rounds down the range! One of my favorite thing when it's extremely cold is practicing airial shooting. Pick up whatever on the ground and throw it up in the air. Shoot, miss, go pick up the same target, throw, and shoot again. You'll forget what the temp is after 50rds or so.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Ugh....
What a bunch of wimps! If you have time, place to shoot, go out and put some rounds down the range! One of my favorite thing when it's extremely cold is practicing airial shooting. Pick up whatever on the ground and throw it up in the air. Shoot, miss, go pick up the same target, throw, and shoot again. You'll forget what the temp is after 50rds or so.
This really ain't an option for me, at my club's range, even if I was the only one out there, which is, honestly, most of the time. Our club seems to be on the flight path of the National Guard's C130 planes from Camp Ripley to Minneapolis. Those things are just crawling along at a fairly low altitude.

dragon813gt
12-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Can't shoot in the air at any of the clubs I belong to either. That's a quick way to get them shut down when an errant bullet hits a nearby house.

Blackwater
12-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Since I've become diabetic, it's much harder to keep warm. Keeping blood sugar up a little helps, but it seems to dissipate rapidly in the cold. The darn hips are what inhibit my shooting now, but will have surgery scheduled soon, probably in Feb.

The biggest factor in fighting the cold is knowing how to dress, and what NOT to wear! Don't wear ANYTHING that won't breathe! NOTHING! I like to carry a poncho in case it rains unexpectedly. Cold and wet will KILL you! And it'll do it FAR more quickly than most think. First, it disables you and muddles your mind, and only then does it move in for the kill. Folks are lost every year in the cold, usually because they didn't know how to dress for it or weren't prepared to deal with it when it happened unexpectedly. Even in settled areas, it's not difficult to get in a bad way REAL quick.

When I was a kid, and it snowed or rained, I didn't care, and went out hunting anyway. We couldn't even spell "waterproof" back then, so my feet got soaked and froze. Now, nothing I can wear will keep them warm. I hunt from stands, and often, you'll sweat to death going to the stand, and then, once you get situated, what was too warm going in is now insufficient to keep you warm when the light starts to fade and it REALLY gets cold. I think I'm gonna' start taking a thick wool blanket to throw around me while in the stands. I'd love to make a very old fashioned cape, somewhat along the lines of a capote, to roll up and wear around my waist or slung over my shoulder by cord. I have a notion that'd make the last 45 min. or so of legal shooing time a LOT more pleasant?

Porterhouse
12-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I know almost all shooting clubs don't allow you to shoot in the air but you can still have fun out there. Like shooting into snow piles to recover boolits and stuff.
Yet, -20 was about as cold as I can go out and I have to constantly getting back in the car for warming up.
Also I agree. Wind is more of the limiting factor, for me anyways. I was once shooting around +7 or 8 degree, which itself wasn't that bad but modest wind plus cold metal took off blood circulation from the tips of my fingers (I never wear gloves) in just 5 or 10 minuets. As I couldn't feel anything, got back in the car, then realized. All my fingers were white and hard as old rubber. What I never forget is the pain when you regain the blood circulation. I was literally crying for a long time.

10x
12-12-2016, 10:53 PM
-28c on Sunday with a 15 mph wind. My M78 Remington in 30/06 loved Unique and 150 gr Lee FP GC Bullets with aluminum Freechex gas checks.
Keep warm in Helly Hanson insulated coveralls

iomskp
12-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Sorry folks but in my part of the world it's 28 c I think it got down to about 23 c last night, that is why we live where we live.

10x
12-12-2016, 11:50 PM
There is a risk it will drop to -40C one of these nights. Things just quit working. Plastic breaks, and some alloys become very brittle.
Tire sidewalls loose their flexibility and the tires have a built in bump.

MaryB
12-13-2016, 01:39 AM
I pack one of these in to the stand with me, wear lighter clothing going in so I don't sweat. Once there toss this on over everything and be warm and dry https://www.majorsurplus.com/wool-mountain-man-capotes-fully-lined.html

-14f last night and already down to -7f tonight! I hibernate now in winter! Pellets are burning, nice flickering fire to stare at and get lost(and nap!) Tigger curled up on me earlier and we both took a nap!

Since I've become diabetic, it's much harder to keep warm. Keeping blood sugar up a little helps, but it seems to dissipate rapidly in the cold. The darn hips are what inhibit my shooting now, but will have surgery scheduled soon, probably in Feb.

The biggest factor in fighting the cold is knowing how to dress, and what NOT to wear! Don't wear ANYTHING that won't breathe! NOTHING! I like to carry a poncho in case it rains unexpectedly. Cold and wet will KILL you! And it'll do it FAR more quickly than most think. First, it disables you and muddles your mind, and only then does it move in for the kill. Folks are lost every year in the cold, usually because they didn't know how to dress for it or weren't prepared to deal with it when it happened unexpectedly. Even in settled areas, it's not difficult to get in a bad way REAL quick.

When I was a kid, and it snowed or rained, I didn't care, and went out hunting anyway. We couldn't even spell "waterproof" back then, so my feet got soaked and froze. Now, nothing I can wear will keep them warm. I hunt from stands, and often, you'll sweat to death going to the stand, and then, once you get situated, what was too warm going in is now insufficient to keep you warm when the light starts to fade and it REALLY gets cold. I think I'm gonna' start taking a thick wool blanket to throw around me while in the stands. I'd love to make a very old fashioned cape, somewhat along the lines of a capote, to roll up and wear around my waist or slung over my shoulder by cord. I have a notion that'd make the last 45 min. or so of legal shooing time a LOT more pleasant?

375supermag
12-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Hi...
I don't generally do any target or recreational shooting in inclement or cold weather.
I go hunting in the rain, cold, snow or whatever. Only thing that has ever chased me out of the outdoors when hunting is thunderstorms with lightning.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2016, 01:00 PM
0 F outside here right now.

jeepyj
12-13-2016, 01:47 PM
revolver time..:lol:
I hate picking up brass in the snow...unless it's someone else's.
We had one of the fellows put out a tarp to catch his brass. I had to laugh a little while later I see him in search of the elusive slide gun brass from his glock. I said I thought you put out a tarp to catch the brass? He said I did however only one piece hit it. He lost all but three pieces.

alamogunr
12-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Like Blackwater, I'm diabetic, I got cold just reading this thread.

Blackwater
12-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Mary. Great price on that one! How thick and heavy is it?

GOPHER SLAYER
12-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Hi sixties here today and the sun is shining bright. I am in short sleeves. The one problem I have with very cold weather is that no matter how well you dress, you still have to breath the cold air.

dubber123
12-13-2016, 06:16 PM

Ric, you just made me appreciate the cold MUCH more. :shock:

Echo
12-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Wow - may hit 80 here today...

MaryB
12-14-2016, 02:28 AM
Thick enough that you don't want to wear it hiking in! It is warm, I have worn just that at 30 degrees sitting in the deer stand. Just a T-shirt and jeans underneath.

Thanks, Mary. Great price on that one! How thick and heavy is it?

Bad Ass Wallace
12-14-2016, 03:57 AM
Hit 101F to 103F here for 5 days last week, spent most of the day digging electricity and storm water trenches for our new indoor air arms range!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Air%20Range%20external_zpsqlhwgjor.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Air%20Range%20external_zpsqlhwgjor.jpg.html)

jeepyj
12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Hit 101F to 103F here for 5 days last week, spent most of the day digging electricity and storm water trenches for our new indoor air arms range!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Air%20Range%20external_zpsqlhwgjor.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Air%20Range%20external_zpsqlhwgjor.jpg.html)

Is that a private range? Sure looks nice. I'd love to make that into my own combo casting /shooting place. If I had one of those I wouldn't have to worry about shooting in the cold!

Greg S
12-14-2016, 11:26 PM
10 to -20 if thensun is out and not blowing, if its raining, about 36 is my tolerance level.

garym1a2
12-14-2016, 11:33 PM
50 to 90 works in Florida. This week is mid 60's to low 70's.

wv109323
12-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Al Roker said That on Monday it was going to be colder in Chicago(-14) than the South Pole (-12)

swheeler
12-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Cool here this morning -27F think I'll throw another log on!

RayinNH
12-17-2016, 12:10 PM
I don't mind the cold if I'm working in it. Shooting doesn't generate body heat so I move indoors and shoot air guns. I can get 40-45 feet in my heated shop. I'll shoot 2-3000 shots in the course of the winter.

swheeler
12-17-2016, 12:14 PM
All I know is this Global warming is getting bad, Al was right!:bigsmyl2:

shdwlkr
12-17-2016, 12:19 PM
When I got this morning my outside thermometer said it was 2 degrees and for this old guy with arthritis that is just no fun weather

skeettx
12-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Amarillo, TEXAS
12 degrees right now and expected to be ZERO degrees tonight
Texas, do you HEAR, Texas

cheese1566
12-17-2016, 12:29 PM
-12 this morning in the northern Black Hills of South Dakota.

Brrrrrrrrrr

swheeler
12-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Amarillo, TEXAS
12 degrees right now and expected to be ZERO degrees tonight
Texas, do you HEAR, Texas

That's the x's heart, cold!

MUSTANG
12-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Yep, that climate change is showing up here too. (-) 16 at 5:00 AM this morning; glad I ran underground electrical to the Horses and Calves water locations last summer; their now on trough heaters so no hauling water anymore. At 1:30 PM we've hit a heat wave and it's (+) 11. Strange how that climate change keeps happening every year about this time.

garym1a2
12-17-2016, 05:46 PM
For me its 45 to 90 degrees. In Florida its more likely to be too hot than too cold.

MaryB
12-18-2016, 12:52 AM
-19 and dropping. Headed to -30 for tonight's low...

shoot-n-lead
12-18-2016, 12:58 AM
-19 and dropping. Headed to -30 for tonight's low...

Now, that is cold.

dragon813gt
12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
It was in the 20s yesterday. High of almost 60 today. This is the type of day I hate this time of year. Can't open the man door to the garage w/out everything condensing instantly. It's rust breeding weather.

Loudy13
12-18-2016, 09:42 AM
-26 this morning without Windchill, car wasn't real happy it had to carry me to work this morning.

waarp8nt
12-18-2016, 09:53 AM
It's so cold here the county board members have their hands in their own pockets...lol.

Seriously it's 7* and high is supposed to be 12*. I cut off my shooting around 20* and hunting a bit colder. I may have to use my "free hour" at the indoor range.

jeepyj
12-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Well this week was the first time in a probably 40 weeks that I didn't get to shoot. It was because of the weather but not because it was to cold or to rainy. It was because I was out in the plow truck taking care of the two day storm that blessed us. Man I've got to say I don't like missing my Sunday morning shooting. It's bugged me all day. Oh well I'll just have to make up for it in the shop. Like a lot of places, Maine has been in a cold snap with an abundance of wind to top it off. I'm glad we received a bit of snow to start to insulate the foundations.

popper
12-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Musta got cold enough here, the pipe over the garage busted & I get to clean up all the sheetrock. Looks like it just popped the PEX connector off - replace copper in 2009 when MIL passed and we had 20 folks here. I'm taking a break to warm my hands - still in the 30's.

alamogunr
12-19-2016, 04:54 PM
It's so cold here the county board members have their hands in their own pockets...lol.

Seriously it's 7* and high is supposed to be 12*. I cut off my shooting around 20* and hunting a bit colder. I may have to use my "free hour" at the indoor range.

Hey Guys! Alt167 will get you a real degree character. ie. 7º Could come in handy the next 2-3 months.

jonp
12-19-2016, 05:23 PM
35 and windy here today so I changed the rotors and put new brakes on the truck in the driveway. Someone had to do it and I'm too darn cheap to pay somebody to do something I can still do myself. On a positive note my wife had chicken soup ready for lunch when I came in!

WFO2
12-19-2016, 05:52 PM
For me in Texas it is heat when the index is over 103 i'm done .

jeepyj
12-19-2016, 06:49 PM
35 and windy here today so I changed the rotors and put new brakes on the truck in the driveway. Someone had to do it and I'm too darn cheap to pay somebody to do something I can still do myself. On a positive note my wife had chicken soup ready for lunch when I came in!

I'm the same way, I have a hard time to pay out for anything that I can do or even think I can do. I'll bet that Chicken soup was about the best you ever had after coming in from the wind!

Geezer in NH
12-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Member PMG, two other site stalkers plus myself went shooting this morning.
7 degrees outside with a mild wind. Some say we're crazy but being dressed properly it's not unbearable. We each put a couple hundred rounds down range and for the most part hit remarkably well given the conditions.
For the most part this bunch of guys along with a few others has only missed a very few Sunday mornings in the last couple years mostly due to rain.
So out of curiosity what is your weather cut off point?

182520 182521182522182523

You guys can not be real Mainers my buddy from Matawmkeag [North of Bangor] would have been in shorts. Don't see one of you in shorts.

Busting them for sure. Family is from Washington county where flush toilets and running water is expected soon. :kidding:

lightman
12-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Hey Guys! Alt167 will get you a real degree character. ie. 7º Could come in handy the next 2-3 months.

Thanks for that info. I wondered why the key board did not have a degree symbol.

abunaitoo
12-21-2016, 11:15 PM
It's been cold here the last few days.
Almost down to 70.[smilie=1:

jeepyj
01-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Well apparently today is shooting buddy's threshold. 6 degrees 10-12 mile a hour wind,fresh snow. Wind chill -16. I couldn't get even one of them to go. Each had some sort of excuse but bottom line.... no shooty shooty. I'll have to work in the shop I guess.

lightman
01-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Its 17º here today, foggy and damp, feels 10º. Yesterday it was 8º with a 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. Not seriously cold for you guys up north but thats about as cold as we usually see. And folks down here don't know how to drive on snow or ice. It causes them to default back to stupid mode!

I don't blame your buddy. When I was working I had to roll 24/7/365, no matter the weather, and a shift could last 16hr. Now I go if I want to or be a wimp and sit at home!

Half Dog
01-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't like to go when it's a frigid 55°F or below. At the other end, I still enjoy going when it is less than 110°F. I guess my comfort zone is around 55°F.

starnbar
01-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Hey I got up this morning and same deal nobody wanted to go I don't understand it according to the weatherman I am in the only state without snow right now.

mold maker
01-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Funny how age and diabetes changes your perspective isn't it?

mold maker
01-08-2017, 12:21 PM
14º and I don't find shooting a priority.
Hey, It worked. (the º ) Now if I can just remember that.
How are we supposed to know that? I've been using a keyboard for over 25 years and suspect I know less than 2% of the available tricks.

jeepyj
01-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I've come the the conclusion that I'm going to find an old pop-up and rebuild it into a shooting shack. Thinking that I'll leave a few of the items inside such as the furnace, stove for the coffee and possibly a couple other items and discontinue the rest including the canvas ends and simply frame in between the box and the hard top. Then costomize it to be a warming / sitting area along with storage for foul weather shooting.
The hunt is on for an old Pop-up if anyone in the Maine area hears of a junker!

jsizemore
01-08-2017, 02:45 PM

I'm sure glad your in Montana.

Supposed to get to 0° overnight. By the weekend it's supposed to be shorts weather. And I'll still be happy Waksupi lives in Montana

alamogunr
01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
14º and I don't find shooting a priority.
Hey, It worked. (the º ) Now if I can just remember that.
How are we supposed to know that? I've been using a keyboard for over 25 years and suspect I know less than 2% of the available tricks.

Either of these sites will have more than you ever wanted to know or use:

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

https://forlang.wsu.edu/help-pages/microsoft-keyboards-standard-english-us101/

It was 10º here in W.TN this morning. My 50 year old topcoat saw the light of day for about the dozenth time for church this morning.

MaryB
01-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Sportsman's Guide carries a capote. I have an older one I got years ago at a rendezvous... I would roll it and sling it over my shoulder and carry it into the stand so I didn't sweat. One there I layered up with the capote on top because the way they are shaped it kind of tents around you as you sit and blocks the wind.

Funny how age and diabetes changes your perspective isn't it?