PDA

View Full Version : SOWW for black powder Revolver ?

hylander
12-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Stick on wheel weight lead soft enough for casting round balls black powder revolvers ?

sandman228
12-12-2016, 02:03 PM
it should be ,there pretty much pure lead .

Half Dog
12-12-2016, 03:12 PM
I have been told that their composition is inconsistent. There are members here that might be willing to sell or trade some soft lead.

runfiverun
12-12-2016, 07:35 PM
they along with the clip-on's have been changing.

I would make some alloy and pour some balls and try loading/shooting a couple.
if the ram will seat them without undue stress they will shoot.

Kraschenbirn
12-12-2016, 07:55 PM
RBs, probably okay...conicals would be something of a crapshoot - don't ask how I know.

Bill

Beagle333
12-12-2016, 07:58 PM
It works in all of mine. As long as you can cut the ball when seating, without too much stress over what you know it feels like with pure lead, it's a good batch. 8-)

(If you have never actually used pure lead balls before, get a few just so you know how they seat.)

Green Ghost
12-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I don't shoot muzzleloaders but I separate my SOWW because there are 2 different varieties. One type is 99% pure lead and the other one uses the same alloy as COWW which is a little above 96% lead.

How do I tell the difference? Easy. look at the sticky at the beginng of the lead and lead alloy forum titled "Stick on WW Xrf data. It has pictures of all the different types and their alloy contents.

Thanks to BNE and all the others ho had it tested and logged the results. It's come in handy to me.

Jerry