PDA

View Full Version : Lock n Load auto feed and press Yahoo!

omgb
11-02-2005, 12:31 AM
OK, so I finally got around to buying a case feeder for my Hornady Progressive press. Wow! what a difference. I just loaded 500 rounds in under an hour with time out for adjustments etc. Easy, relaxing and almost flawless. If you are thinking Dillon I'd rethink that and look into the Hornady press. I tried both and Hornady was the better deal in my opinion. Less expensive, the priming system works better, the powder drop is a breeze to adjust and it's very accurate. Most of all, I like the flexibility of the system. Adding the case feeder was pretty cheap. I got the four feeder wheels and the feeder mechanism for under $260 from Midway. Now it will feed any caliber in existance. Initial set up was a PITA. Hornady instructions are not too clear. Once I figured it all out things went together very easily and adjustments were quick and easy.

Guys, this one is a keeper.

kenjuudo
11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I've used mine so much I actually had to replace a feed tube last year. Never a problem I didn't cause, added a counter and modified the catch tray to empty into a box under the bench. I've run plenty of fodder for a FAL through it.

jim

omgb
11-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Did you have to adjust the slip cluth on the feed disk? In the beginning mine wouldn't handle more than maybe 50 cases before it would slip. A call to Hornady explained the way to tightne the clutch by adjusting those two nuts on the center hub. Also, I found that when using carbide dies, a few shots of their spray case lube directly into the hopper while in motion sure made sizing a whole lot easier.

kenjuudo
11-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it seems to need adjusted alot tighter for rifle brass or large pistol brass, and backed off for small stuff like 9mm. It didn't take me long to buy half a dozen each size primer tubes and a complete extra scatter shield and shoe assembly to speed up primer tube changes.

omgb
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Been there, done that. I already had an RCBS priming tool ALA the old Lochmiller unit. The primer fill tubes were the same so I used them and bought two more. Then I did as you did and purchase another complete priming unit and left it set up for large pistol and rifle primers. Speeded things up considerably that way.

Did you find that the instructions were a tad vague or confusing at times? My press is of recent manufacture and thus did not need the mounting brackets added to the square tubing. Of course, that info is on another page so that if one is sequectially following the assembly instructions, one will have installed the brackets and the tube on the pree only to discover that it won't line up. It was then that I saw the page were it said that on serial numbered presses greater than 7...... the tube is bolted directly to the press. Also, there was no mention of the proceedure for tightening the tension on the feed clutch. That as I said above, took a call to Hornady.

I like Hornady roducts but man oh man, their instructional manuals leave a whole lot to be desired.

kenjuudo
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I upgraded an older press and had to replace the carrier plate and use the brackets, compared to setting up a Lee Pro and figureing out the Lee bullet feed it was a breeze! I'm very happy with the powder measure, handles everything from Bullseye to 4895 without a glitch.

omgb
11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
That powder measure was the primary reason I went red rather than blue. The Dillon unit is basicaly the old Star unit with some fresh paint. It's out dated and difficult to adjust. The Hornady is much smoother, far easier to adjust and with the lock and load feature, easy to swap out. Most guys with the blue unit buy multiple measures at $56.00 a pop. That's a waste as far as I'm concerned. Over all, Hornady was cheaper and easier. I love my unit. It did take a few rounds and a squashed primer feed cam to lean how to use it though.

omgb
11-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Say, while on the subject; have you found that some bradns of seating die cannot be used in the last hole of the press because they interfere with the ejection spring? Many RCBS, some Lee and most Bonanza dies can't be used in that last position. No problem really unless you are using cast bullets (which need a die slot for the "M" expander die) and a powder cop die. I'm thinking of having the offending dies turned on a lathe so that they will work in that slot.

kenjuudo
11-04-2005, 03:04 AM
I found a little bend in the spring along with turning down the end of the die to .675" to be the best solution for the Lee factory crimp dies. Once I got it right I just traced the spring with a scribe to mark the shell plate in case I ever had to replace the spring.

A carbide lathe tool has little trouble dealing with hard dies if a little care is taken, it takes me longer to walk to the lathe than to do the cut.

I might be able to get a picture of the bent spring if it would help.

jim

omgb
11-04-2005, 09:16 AM
I'd love a photo if it isn't too much hassle. I turn wood, not metal so when I do get the dies turned I need to do all of them at once or the cost will beat the heck out of me.

omgb
11-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Thought I'd toss in another nugget. I wanted a low primer indicator but Hornady doesn't make one. So, I improvised. I took a length of steel rod 1/8" in dia. and cut it so that it sticks out of the empty primer feed about 4". I then cut a disk of rubber from an old sick/dish pan liner. I punched a small hole in the middle and slipped this over the rod. I put three primers in the feed and set the rod down on top of them. I then slid the disk down flush with the blast shield. Now all you do is fill the feed tube and set the rod down on top. Load away until the disk rests on the blast shield. You have three primers left at this point so it's time to refill. Cheap, fast and it works. What about that counter? Where did it come from and to what is it hooked up?

kenjuudo
11-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I believe I bought the counter from Travers Tool, around five bucks. I basically use it to keep track of primers, it's mounted by a bracket to the bench and is activated by the shellplate carrier on the downstroke.