PDA

View Full Version : New to me 25-20 wcf. Need advice on bullets

tbryan
12-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Just picked up a very clean Rem 25 in 25-20. The bore is slightly dark, with very strong rifling. I have a 25R all ready, same cal. , so I have dies and one mold. The carbine was never real accurate. I have a lot of IMR 4198 and I would like to work up a load with it. I have a Lyman 2 cav mold that drops a plain base bullet of about 72 grains with the lead I am using. I also have a lot of 75 grain Sierra that will work if loaded one round at a time. Any good loads for these to start with. I only shoot targets with it so bullet performance is not a factor, only accuracy.
What about gas check versus plain base ? I am not adverse to buying a another mold if need be.

cajts
12-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I have had the best luck with gas checked powder coated boolits. Before buying a different mold I would try powder coated plain base. If you do not powder coat I would be happy to powder coat some for you for just the price of return shipping. Just make sure they are clean and no lube on them.

Mk42gunner
12-10-2016, 12:41 PM
If you go to the Marlin owner's forum, there is a 132 page sticky on the .25-20 that has a plethora of info for the cartridge. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/26002-25-20-reloaders.html

Good Luck, it is a fun little cartridge.

Robert

tbryan
12-10-2016, 10:51 PM
Wow, you are right about that Marlin site. Thanks for the info. I have a powder coat rig, but I have never used it. I might try that too. Thanks.