PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tech, powder coating or lube?

Alaskan100
12-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Hello All,
So I have a question. Here is a little background. I have not reloaded much. And I have had to relocate due to lack of employment opportunities. So I am starting over acquiring reloading and casting equipment. So I have been watching some videos on youtube. That's where I seen someone powder coating there cast boolits. which gets me thinking, Is this a valid form of lube replacement for heavier boolits traveling at 2100fps+ velocities?

Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Alaskan100

berksglh
12-10-2016, 11:15 AM
I PC all my cast rnds. Never tried Hi-tech. I PC cause its cleaner then pan lubing and I dont get any leading, most of my guns feed better with PC ammo as compared to tumble lubed, and my barels all clean up easy.

I PC:
223 in 55 and 72g
38 spl 357mag and 9mm in 124g
300BLK in 180 and 230g
45ACP in 230 grain

Im sold on PC over tumble lube, and am in way to deep to turn back.

I do have one issue with PC, and its potentially non uniform thickness. Hi-tech may have a more uniform coating? But Ive never tried it.

I still get great accuracy in rifle and pistol with PC, and no leading.

farmerjim
12-10-2016, 11:35 AM
I do all 3, but more PC and Hi-Tek. The Hi-Tek metallics work better at higher velocities than the non metalics. There is a sharper learning curve on Hi-Tek, but once you get it down, it is easy from there on. Hi-Tek is faster than PC. PC has more colors, and it will add size (.001 to .002) to a boolit that is too small, Hi-Tek is thin and will not add size.

popper
12-10-2016, 11:40 AM
HV rifle is difficult to get good results so go with PC, it's easy.