PDA

View Full Version : Ned a top punch for a Lee mould

gunnut1
12-09-2016, 05:30 PM
I have a Lee C277-135-RF mold. Every Lee cross reference I have found, they are all the same one, does not list this mold for a top punch for either a RCBS or Lyman Luber thingy.

Can anyone here guide me to a current Lee mold to RCBS, Lyman top punch cross reference?

1989toddm
12-09-2016, 06:38 PM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VHoward
12-09-2016, 07:26 PM
If you don't find one in that list, your other option would be to have someone make you a hollow nose punch and you use epoxy to fill the hollow and mold it to the shape of your bullet.

1989toddm
12-09-2016, 09:32 PM
I wonder if RCBS top punch 525 would work. If not I would think you can lap it using a boolit from your Lee mold and lapping compound. Chuck the boolit in a drill and spin slowly with lapping compound.

gunnut1
12-09-2016, 09:32 PM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Thanks for the link but that list does not list the mould I have.

Yodogsandman
12-09-2016, 11:55 PM
If it has a flat nose, you can use a 2"X 1/4" bolt with the threads cut off. Push it in with the flat bolt face.

1989toddm
12-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the link but that list does not list the mould I have.
Yeah, I'm sorry I realized that after I posted, which is why I responded with the below post. Hope you can figure one out! NOE sells a 3 punch set for under $10 for flat nose boolits.

[QUOTE=1989toddm;3870719]I wonder if RCBS top punch 525 would work. If not I would think you can lap it using a boolit from your Lee mold and lapping compound. Chuck the boolit in a drill and spin slowly with lapping compound.

dsh1106
12-10-2016, 10:28 AM
You might contact LEE, IIRC the mold you listed was just released last year. Unless they used an existing nose profile, you may have to make your own.

Just from a quick look, you might try lyman #641

Scott

gunnut1
12-10-2016, 07:32 PM
That is what I am thinking about doing. And, maybe a call to RCBS may render some results also. I do not have the necessary machine tools to make my own but it sounds like an interesting project. Now if I was still working....!
Think I will give the NOE site a scouring and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for the help guys. You have helped me lower my frustration level!

VHoward
12-10-2016, 09:20 PM
RCBS might be nice enough to let you send them a bullet and they would either match it up with what they have or make you one. They have been known to do awesome things like that. Give them a call and talk to them. You never know until you try.

gwpercle
12-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Take the nose punch you have , fill it with epoxy (J.B. Weld) after it sets , sand it flat . The flat punch will bear on the flat nose of the boolit , leave no mark and it lets the bullet self align when seating. Believe me , flat punches rule !
In a pinch I even use them on RN boolits...just try it once!
I got so tired of ordering nose punches for Lee moulds that should have fit , but didn't , I did the custom fit with J.B. Weld , then discover flat punches worked the absolute best.
Gary