View Full Version : Colt Dragoon maker?

AbitNutz
12-09-2016, 11:51 AM
So I'm nothing but confused on this. Are the Colt Black powder revolvers, sold by Colt and have Colt's name on them, actually made by Colt? Or are they re-branded Italian? Or was it a hybrid, like Italian parts, finished by Colt?

Also, if Italian made...which company? Uberti, Pedersoli?

bubba.50
12-09-2016, 12:18 PM
they're all of Uberti origin. some(signature series I believe) were finished & assembled here from parts supplied by Uberti. others were straight-up Uberti with a bit better fit/finish & more authentic lookin' markin's.

AbitNutz
12-09-2016, 12:44 PM
So there is a difference in quality...?

johnson1942
12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
uberti makes good revolvers. ive had a couple i had to tweek, the arm that rotates the cylinder had to be relaced along with the spring in it. that is a common weakness in colt guns. ruger makes that part of a single action a lot stronger. my uberti colts drive tacks but not fancy fanning the hammer or such. just cock and shoot and if they break they are easy to take apart and fix.

bubba.50
12-09-2016, 01:22 PM
So there is a difference i quality...?

not really. a bit of difference in the fit/finish and the markin's is about all. and I seriously doubt anyone would be able to point out where the finish is any different plus or minus on the Eye-talian ones & the ones assembled here.

45 Dragoon
12-09-2016, 09:30 PM
AbitNutz,

The biggest difference in the "Colts 2nd Gens" / "Sig.Series " and today's offerings is in the action parts. Ubertis current parts are awesome and mostly what you're paying extra for. The "Colts" have typical '70s parts that look like they were made with a hatchet and a file. They are usually the worst to work on, meaning, so much time "correcting" the wear surfaces, extra thick mainsprings and all of them have short arbors to correct . I think they were intended more for "collecting" than shooting! Of course, they can be setup to my standards and I've done a lot of them but the current Uberti/Pietta offerings are quite a bit ahead of them. Get whatever makes you happy, they can all be fixed!

Johnson1942,
The S.A.A. copies can be made into fine "fanners" if that's what is wanted. For the last 3 yrs I've faned my El Patron Competition pretty much everyday at least 50 cycles (my own torture test). It still exhibits the correct timing (that I set for it) and the locking notches are still perfect. They all have to be set up for it of course.

Mike