PDA

View Full Version : Lee Challenger Fails

joeb33050
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Had it for ~ 5 years, worked until today, when the TOGGLE LINKS broke. Got out the instructions, found out that they are TOGGLE LINKS. Went to the Lee site, FAQ, found out that I wasn't the first to break them.
Rather than buy new TOGGLE LINKS, it goes in the trash.
I like or love some Lee products, others just don't get it. Aluminum/Zamak or ??? it is just doesn't get the job done in places with a lot of wear or force.
joe b.

kir_kenix
06-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Might want to give Lee a call. Maybe they can get you one for free. I have never dealt with Lee, but Hornady and Dillon are terrific as far as stuff like that goes. I once purchased the wrong part from Dillon, and instead of returning it and exchanging it they just sent me the other part and told me not to worry about it. Hornady must have somebody who lives in Columbus working there, because twice i've had stuff dropped off at my house the day after ordering that never went thru the mail.

Perhaps Lee will be the same way? Worth a try and a 5 minute phone conversation.

Marlinreloader
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Joe,
If you do not want the press anymore I would love to have it.
I help disaled people re-load and shoot. I am always looking for parts to help out others.
I am also Marlinreloader on severeral other shooting and reloading sites.
Thanks a million
Marlinreloader

joeb33050
06-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Joe,
If you do not want the press anymore I would love to have it.
I help disaled people re-load and shoot. I am always looking for parts to help out others.
I am also Marlinreloader on severeral other shooting and reloading sites.
Thanks a million
Marlinreloader

Send your address and I'll mail it out.
joeb33050@yahoo.com
Thanks;
joe b.

afrance
06-20-2008, 08:11 AM
The new Breechlock Challenger has an all steel toggle link. When my original cast aluminum toggle broke two weeks ago I emailed them and asked if the new steel toggle would fit my older challenger they said it would and emailed me the list of the 4 or 5 parts to order off of the website. $14.50 and 5 days later I have an unbreakable all steel Challenger press.

Alan

trickg
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
You know though - something to think about:

A Lee Challenger press sells by itself these days for $45.99 (we'll round down to an even $45 just to make the math a little more simple)

It was used for 5 years.

$45 / 5 = $9 per year (or less than two meals at McDonalds...per year!)
or
$45 / 60 (months) = 75¢ per month (or less than a bottle of soda from a vending machine)
or
$45 / 240 (weeks) = 19¢ per week (It's actually 18.75¢)

I guess I can understand being disappointed that it broke, but all things considered, it seems to me that for the price, even if you "only" got 5 years out of it, you probably got your money's worth. I can't even buy a tank of gas for $45 anymore, and that sure as heck doesn't last for 5 years! ;) (I commute almost 40 miles one way so I'm filling up twice a week.)

Junior1942
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Joe, get yourself a Lee Classic Cast press. It's a heavy duty jewel.

1hole
06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Joe, second the Classic Cast (steel) press.

Curious; wonder why your toggle links broke. I've heard they tend to break IF the through bolt that secures the operating lever to the toggle works loose. That is supposed to allow the geometry of the lever forces to shift enough to over stress the metal and it breaks.

My question is, "Was your through bolt a bit loose perhaps?"

PatMarlin
06-20-2008, 06:37 PM
3rd on the LEE Classic. THE cat's meow in presses... [smilie=6:

Dale53
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I have two Dillon 550B's but bought a new Lee Classic Turret for working up loads (small amounts). I have used a Lee Turret (aluminum) for years for this purpose but it really is a pistol press and is not quite as big as need be for rifle cases. The Classic Turret is.

Dale53

DanM
06-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Lee will replace the toggle links for free. Just send them the broken parts with a brief cover letter, and you should have replacement parts in a week. They don't seem to care how old the press is.

uncle joe
06-21-2008, 08:52 AM
gotta go for 4th on the classic
I always used an old c h press that dad had forever, broke down and bought a classic cast a few months ago. It's really heavy duty, don't over strain the bench either.
UJ

VintageRifle
06-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Personal observation regarding breakage of the Lee Challenger Press Links.

I have two of these presses. I bought on and have used it to reload about 1000 rounds. I have a second I bought at a good price and it is still in the box. I opened the box when I got it just to make sure it was complete.

Personal Observation: I love the lee case lube. Never had a stuck case, a case that was hard to resize. I could even reform .284 winchester brass into 7.5x55 Swiss with one pull of the lever.

Friend of mine bought a challenger press. He broke it in 2 weeks.

Differences: I used the Lee Case Lube, my friend use RCBS case lube. My press is over 1.5 years old.

I ran out of the Lee Case Lube and only could find Hornady One Shot case lube. I have had 4 stuck cases, the cases are very difficult to resize and I can easily see how the press can break. I thought I was going to break it just about every time I tried to resize a case with the Hornady Case Lube. In order to get the One Shot case lube to work ok, I had to spray the cases 3 times. With the Lee Case lube, I just roll the cases on a towel with lube, I put lube on the inside of the necks on every other case and resize. The Lee Lube works best.

I tried the RCBS spray lube once and gave the can away. I hated the stuff. I had to wait too long to resize a case and most of the time it got stuck. The Lee Case Lube is the best as far as I am concerned.

Just my observations with 3 different lubes and the Lee Challenger Press.

Junior1942
06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
VintageRifle, my experience with Lee Case Lube mirrors yours. I swage down .323" j-bullets to .3155" to fit an overbore Mosin-Nagant. They go through a .319" die and then a .3155" die. Lee Case Lube worked best of several I tried on the bullets. Best I can remember, they were One Shot, RCBS, STP, 3-in-1, HD10-30, WD40, and Kroil. Lee case lube was by far the best. It's now what I use on cases via a swipe with a rag.

Dale53
06-21-2008, 10:14 AM
When I was shooting a lot of "Big Bore" I had to reload volumes of rifle cases. C.E. "Ed" Harris mentioned in an article that he took Lee Sizing Lube and diluted it with water (as I remember at a 10/1 ratio) and dipped the cases in the solution and spread on newspaper to dry overnight. It not only lubed the cases well, the inside of the case necks were lubed as well (no lengthening cases by "drag" off the expander spud in the resize die). It did a terrific job and the dried wax is NOT harmful to powder.

I would put this in the "hot tip" category for those that load volumes of rifle cases.

Dale53

dgslyr
06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Personal observation regarding breakage of the Lee Challenger Press Links.

I have two of these presses. I bought on and have used it to reload about 1000 rounds. I have a second I bought at a good price and it is still in the box. I opened the box when I got it just to make sure it was complete.

Personal Observation: I love the lee case lube. Never had a stuck case, a case that was hard to resize. I could even reform .284 winchester brass into 7.5x55 Swiss with one pull of the lever.

Friend of mine bought a challenger press. He broke it in 2 weeks.

Differences: I used the Lee Case Lube, my friend use RCBS case lube. My press is over 1.5 years old.

I ran out of the Lee Case Lube and only could find Hornady One Shot case lube. I have had 4 stuck cases, the cases are very difficult to resize and I can easily see how the press can break. I thought I was going to break it just about every time I tried to resize a case with the Hornady Case Lube. In order to get the One Shot case lube to work ok, I had to spray the cases 3 times. With the Lee Case lube, I just roll the cases on a towel with lube, I put lube on the inside of the necks on every other case and resize. The Lee Lube works best.

I tried the RCBS spray lube once and gave the can away. I hated the stuff. I had to wait too long to resize a case and most of the time it got stuck. The Lee Case Lube is the best as far as I am concerned.

Just my observations with 3 different lubes and the Lee Challenger Press.

I have a RCBS rockchucker tha is over 30 years old and a RCBS JR that is older still.Had a RCBS A2 that was stolen.Used RCBS lube with all and still do,both kinds the old and the new water based kind.Well It's not so new now I guess.Have the Lee stuff too came with a Lee Hand press that I wore out working up loads at the range.I have to ask how was your friend applying the RCBS case lube?I never considered using the spray on stuff.Always used the pads that RCBS sells.If it's hard to resize a case you probably ain't got enough lube on the case.That the only way to break one,especialy if it was aluminium.The cast iron or steel lee's are a great improvment.The hand press sure didn't have a long life and it was used mostly to seat bullets with or neck size.

Marlinreloader
06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I sent you an Addy. Thanks a million.
This will help a good kid!
Marlinreloader

TexasJeff
06-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Mine's still going strong after twenty-plus years and a lot of long rifle ammo through it.

Jeff

jonk
06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I got a Challenger as my first press back in about 98. I broke the toggle links once. I replaced the linkages. It would STILL be my main press if I hadn't gotten a Rockchucker used for $30 (too good a deal to pass on). I still use it at my summer cottage, the Challenger I mean. If it has a fault it is too springy and bouncy- hard to feel when you've bottomed out without watching the shellholder/die fit. But so far as ammo loaded on it... no dif.

joeb33050
07-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Sent the Lee to marlinreloader, bought an RCBS ?JR? on ebay, it should show up soon. Once bitten by the Lee press, never again.
joe b.

2muchstuf
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Since I've been comming to this site I've heard alot about Lee's free fix .
About 12 years back I broke a toggle on a Lee turret press. Repair parts list came with the press, (old press) Called Lee for an updated price. Nobody ever said a thing about "free" $10 or so later I had new steel toggles to replace broken alum.
Must have been a regular problem since they went to steel.
Maybe they could have been had for free, I didn't know enough to ask. They didn't offer.

copdills
07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Lee Cast Classic is the way to go, one for TEAM RED LOL

copdills

trickg
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Well, I still think you got your money's worth out of it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. No doubt the RCBS will be a good press.

I recently bought a Lee Challenger press kit and my own experience with it thus far has been pretty good, although there is certainly a quality difference between the presses that my Dad had (Lyman, RCBS, Dillon) and this one. The question for me is whether or not I'll produce any better reloads on something else. I think that the answer is probably 'no' but I can foresee that at some point in the future I'll probably upgrade to something else - probably a turret press or progressive of some sort.

jcwit
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Why didn't you just send the broken links to Lee for replacement? They replaced a broken "C" press that I broke while sizing 30/06 brass. It broke on one that missed getting lubed, my fault really. You've never had a car that needed a part under warrenty or any other item? If you go thru life with this logic you will get to the point where you will never be able to buy anything because everything is crap.

1hole
07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Joe - "..bought an RCBS ?JR? on ebay.."

If it's really a JR press let me guess you won't be very happy with it for long unless you stick to sizing only very small cases. That simple toggle linkage is a long step backwards after having used a compound toggle link press.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Yup, shoulda bought the Lee Classic Cast or gotten the press you had repaired.

Dave

joeb33050
07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Yup, shoulda bought the Lee Classic Cast or gotten the press you had repaired.

Dave

I had to make a mistake some day, looks like this was it. I'll test the RCBS JR, then probably throw it our if it's as bad as you guys say.
Thanks;
joe b.

trickg
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I had to make a mistake some day, looks like this was it. I'll test the RCBS JR, then probably throw it our if it's as bad as you guys say.
Thanks;
joe b.
There are a lot of good presses out there, and who knows, the RCBS Jr might be just what you are looking for. My thought when I bought my setup (which included the Lee Challenger) would be so that I could get into reloading for a reasonable cost and get something that worked, first and foremost. Again, at $45 and $100 for the whole kit, you have to admit that the Lee Challenger, which will certainly get the job done, was a pretty good deal.

My thought on this was that after I got going and learned some of the ins and outs of reloading, I could conduct my research at my own pace to find an "upgrade" press that I wanted. I highlight the word "upgrade" because there's a guy on another forum I frequent, who prefers his Lee Challenger press to some of his other presses that are supposedly made better and cost a lot more, so the word "upgrade" has nothing to do with cost or alleged quality, and everything to do with what an individual prefers for their purposes.

I hope it all works out well for you in the end, and at least you will have gotten something invaluable for your troubles: wisdom that can only come from firsthand experience.

EMC45
07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Lee Classic Cast!

jimkim
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Lee Classic Cast!

Is that the new Lee cast iron single stage press? I've used my 1980's Lee turret press for a while now. Ive been thinking about getting a single stage press just for sizing and depriming. I thought about the Lee anniversary pack. You buy the book and they throw in a press. It isn't an "O" or "D" frame but for the price it isn't bad.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40357-53425-2092.html

jcwit
07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't recommend the Lee "C" press for any heavy duty sizing souch as 30/06 ect. If you would miss case lubing lible to break. Would work well for handgun brass though.

Swagerman
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Won't people believe us that own the Lee Classic, or Classic Turret press???

Its the best deal for your money...the quality is there folks.

Jim

jimkim
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't recommend the Lee "C" press for any heavy duty sizing souch as 30/06 ect. If you would miss case lubing lible to break. Would work well for handgun brass though.
Thanks I was going to use it for pistol calibers only. I have carbide dies. I use graphite in the first few cases just to lubethings a little.

Swagerman I believe you. I have my own three hole turret press. It only has 22 or 24 years on it. I've used it for 18 years. My once beautiful turrets are now grey. lol

EMC45
07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
The "C" frame press from Lee is good. I got one years ago for de-capping and ran a few hundred pistol rounds through it to see if it would do right. Well no problems. I would still go with the Classic Cast. Got mine from a guy who couldn't load anymore due to health. He let me get it for 30 bucks! It was never even bolted to the bench. Nice deal. I have it set up for pistol and my Rockchucker for rifle.:-D

cuzinbruce
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I have had pretty good luck with the RCBS Jr. No need to throw yours out! I have had it for years, load mostly pistol, 32/20 up to 44 Mag. Do 2-500 at a time, one operation at a time. Only bad thing is the primer catcher deal, no matter what, they go all over the place. Prime with the Lee hand primer. Loads 30/06 too when needed. Works fine although the travel is a little short for seating them.

Dale53
07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I have two Dillon 550B's (which are my main tools for reloading in quantity using several different calibers). I also have a RCBS Rockchucker and a Lyman T-Mag II (dedicated to BPCR use, only). I recently sent my Lee Turret down the pike (wanted to upgrade to the new Lee Classic Turret Press). I use my Lee turret for load development. I wished to upgrade as the original turret press works just fine for pistol but is a bit short on the press opening for long rifle cases (.375 H&H Magnum, for example) whereas the Lee Classic Turret has plenty of room for large rifle cases.

I suspect that my Lyman Turret may get sent on down the road. It is really an excellent turret press with lots of travel for large cartridges but the turrets are rather costly. Now that I have the Lee Classic Turret I probably don't need to keep the Lyman Mag-T II and I may send that on down the road. Upon reflection, the Lyman Mag-T II has multiple holes that are helpful when loading BPCR cases (need an expander die and a compression die along with FL Sizing and decapping, and separate crimping and bullet seating dies). I won't be competing in BPCR's any more but will be shooting some with the big boomers.

Dale53

joeb33050
07-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I got the RCBS Jr today, cleaned and oiled and cleaned until done. Got it bolted to the wall, then fl sized 20 .308 Win cases. It works fine and doesn't seem to take a lot of effort-although I AM enormously strong.
I don't de-prime or prime on a press, haven't for many years. Most of my reloading is for rifles or rifle-like pistols.
The RCBS Jr is certainly heavier, stronger?, than the Challenger.
If it breaks I'll announce the fact, but so far I'm very happy. (And it's green!)
joe b.

Willbird
07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I got the RCBS Jr today, cleaned and oiled and cleaned until done. Got it bolted to the wall, then fl sized 20 .308 Win cases. It works fine and doesn't seem to take a lot of effort-although I AM enormously strong.
I don't de-prime or prime on a press, haven't for many years. Most of my reloading is for rifles or rifle-like pistols.
The RCBS Jr is certainly heavier, stronger?, than the Challenger.
If it breaks I'll announce the fact, but so far I'm very happy. (And it's green!)
joe b.

I have several JR press's and have loaded on them for 35 years, I have never "ran out of gas" with one so far. One KEY thing is to get them mounted to a VERY solid bench that does not give or flex. At one time I had 3 bridgeport mills, one guy can only use one at a time so I strap clamped a JR press to one of the 3, now THAT folks is a SOLID setup :-)....it works a lot better than a floppy old bench. After that I beefed up my reloading bench the there is a very real improvement there.

Bill

Heavy lead
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
OK guys, number one I agree with the Lee Classic as being the best press out there right now and not just for the money, it's huge and smooth and has the best primer catcher removal system of all. I don't use the primer attachment and have put a piece of brass rod that squeezed into the ram where the primer attachment goes, that insures the primers always go down into the plastic tube where they belong.
Number 2, I still have my original Lee Challanger from 1986 and never broke anything on it, I beat this press. Over the years I've probably loaded 10,000 plus rounds, all rifle (I use 2 lee turrets and a Hornady lnl for pistol), resized tons of bullets (with the lee resizers). And pull bullets with it. I love the new Lee Classic, but it isn't even close to being as smooth as that challanger. I resized 7,300 and 338 ultra mags (lots of 338) 338 win mag 284 375 handh 416 rigby 45/70, 444, 300 win mag, 7 mag, 7 stw, 8 rem mag, and more I've torchered this thing, I agree also with the lee case lube, but I also have had good results with the hornady spray (with two coates). I for years wanted a Redding Big Boss press for the Ultra Mags and the 416, but I figured if the Challenger could do it without even straining the big Cast Lee surely could. So with the 80 bucks I saved I bought other stuff.
IMO the Lee stuff works.
I do love the RCBS scale-powder dispenser though.

anachronism
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Joe, You made the right choice. Don't look back...

joeb33050
07-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I have several JR press's and have loaded on them for 35 years, I have never "ran out of gas" with one so far. One KEY thing is to get them mounted to a VERY solid bench that does not give or flex. At one time I had 3 bridgeport mills, one guy can only use one at a time so I strap clamped a JR press to one of the 3, now THAT folks is a SOLID setup :-)....it works a lot better than a floppy old bench. After that I beefed up my reloading bench the there is a very real improvement there.

Bill
I have no bench here in the condo, got a piece of heavy angle iron, had it drilled to fit the press, bolted it to the concrete wall in the utility room. This makes using the press SO much easier, no more lifting the bench off the floor or lifting the back legs up. This is solid. Unfortunately, a Bridgeport mill won't fit in the utility room, which is 4-1/2' X 5' and holds the AC air handler, water heater, shop vac, and all the casting/reloading stuff. It's amazing how much stuff fits in such a small space.
The RCBS Jr was $40 delivered, ebay.
joe b.

Fish_N_Russ
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
hmmmm well I was going to get a challenger press set......sounds like they are still pretty good for the $ though

trickg
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
hmmmm well I was going to get a challenger press set......sounds like they are still pretty good for the $ though
For the money there is absolutely nothing better IMO. I just fired off some .44 Mag reloads I put together with mine and everything seemed to be just fine - better than just fine in fact - I have zero complaints with mine. If mine breaks, it's possible I'll get something different, but for now, I'll stick with what I've got because I think mine is just dandy.

mooman76
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I broke mine too. It is a very common brake usually assocciated with the handle coming loose. It is a common break, most everyone knows it an Lee has to know it too. You would think he would fix it with a stronger piece or at least with a locking nut on the bolt that keeps the handle from comming loose and problem solved. But instead Lee makes a super press that is strong as everything and won't break. Funny thing is he used to brag on how his presses weren't like the other super duty presses and they were rediculously stronger than need be.
I'm not really meaning to bash Lee products because most of mine are Lee and I do like them but allot of them with small improvments could be allot better. I did low and behold get Lees super strong press for my next B-day and I like it allot and my challenger is a spare just in case. Why I don't know because I can't see it breaking. Oh I forgot to mention when the Lee challenger press broke(sizing 06 down to 7mm) I moved to my Lee Turret press to finish the job and broke the handle on it. I believe I was over doing the turret press though as it wasn't equiped to handle that kind of stress so that was my fault. But the handle is just made of cast aluminum and it would be better served to be made out of something a little stronger.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
The change in the Lee products is due to the fact that Lee's son now runs the business and has upgraded or come out with several new top quality products and has made improvements on the older products, including the challenger press.

Dave

Dale53
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Actually, Richard Lee was quite innovative in his own way. Lee has revolutionized the reloading business and in my view has helped keep prices to consumers down in the industry in general. The son, John Lee, has carried on in his father's tradition: Innovative products at a reasonable price.

The Lee Classic Turret press (I recently upgraded from the very practical original Lee Turret press) is an example of an absolutely excellent product and one that I could recommend to any loader. I have two Dillon 550B's that I use frequently and consider them the "end all and be all" but for the money, the Lee Classic Turret press is a super value and is of VERY high quality.

I use the Lee when working up and developing loads as I can change calibers in seconds. After the load is developed, then it goes to the Dillon for large quantity production.

Dale53

jimkim
08-08-2008, 12:59 AM
How much pressure do put on your presses? I have a Lee turret press made in the eighties. I have never broken anything on it and I have done some pretty stupid things to it. I learned to load using that press. I don't understand people breaking handles and cracking turrets. Maybe mine was just different. I really don't get it.

Legion489
08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Bought a new Lee LOAD MASTER and it never worked. After three days of screwing with it the plastic primer seater died. Sent it back to Lee and said fix it or refund my money! (page 26 and 34 of LEE MODERN RELOADING. Heck the book even admits the LOAD MASTER never worked right and is junk!). They refused to do either. They admitted the press had a warped frame from faulty heat treating BUT that did NOT mean they would fix it under warranty! After returning the press to Lee monthly (and getting it back with all broken parts and locked up tight - again) they sent a letter saying I had returned it to them for 24 months and they refused to fix it under warranty, but NOW they would fix it if I paid ANOTHER 50% of retail! Tossed it in the junk and bought an used DIllon 550. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I have NEVER regretted buying a Dillon! Dillon customer service is night and day as well! Got a problem? Dillon will fix it (FREE!), Lee will just tell you to go away, they don't care or pay ANOTHER 50% of retail for parts that will break in a few uses away, so why bother?

trickg
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
L489 - that is an awful story, and I think that if the same circumstances had befallen me, I would have responded just as you did.

I may yet wind up with a Dillon - my Dad had one and he loved his - but for now it keeps the missus happier if I spend less, and Dillons are considerably more expensive.

kycrawler
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
i have broken 3 sets of the pot metal toggle links i have 1 more spare set left before i change presses to a rock chucker i asked about the warranty and was charged for the links each time they did replace a broken c frame press for me though

mooman76
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
The toggle links usually break (if not always) because the handle loosens up and moves down changing the stress point to the inside of the link. You should be able to cure it by getting a slightly longer bolt and a locking nut so it won't loosen. On the other hand you could get one of the Lee new Classic Cast presses like I did. You'd have to be a Superman to break that one!

handyrandyrc
08-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I broke 2 sets of toggle links on a Challenger press. I upgraded to the Lee Classic Turret press and have never looked back. :)

jimkim
08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
What did you do with the broken press?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2008, 12:01 AM
kycrawler,

Having owned a Rock Chucker and now owning a Lee Classic Cast, I suggest you stay with the Lee brand. The new Lee offers something the RC doesn't, which is primer disposal system that actually works. I had one side by side on my bench for a few months and decided to sell the RC and keep the Lee Classic Cast. There's solid reasons why.

Check them out before you go with the RC.

Regards,

Dave

trickg
08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I have noticed a trend among reloaders. Some folks will cut their teeth reloading on a single stage but will eventually move to either a turret or progressive press, but others are diehard single stage folks. Why is that? I ask because for the price of the Lee Classic Cast you can just about put yourself behind a Lee Classic Turret press which appears to speed up the process of reloading. That is likely the direction I'll go at some point in the future.

shooterg
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
The toggle links can be replaced with the steel pieces for the new breechlock(plus a couple little parts) or a guy on Epay has been selling steel links for years. I loaded thousands of .223 rounds for High Power on mine before the bride gifted me with a Dillon 550B in 1999 and still use it(now with steel linkage !) for all the "odd' stuff like 7.5 Swiss/etc. It's easily paid for itself and the extra links many times over - I've bought several more at flea markets/gun shows/etc. to introduce friends to the "joys' of reloading. Now this site has got me going on casting/swaging so I never will get to everything on the "Honey Do" list !

PatMarlin
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I have noticed a trend among reloaders. Some folks will cut their teeth reloading on a single stage but will eventually move to either a turret or progressive press, but others are diehard single stage folks. Why is that? I ask because for the price of the Lee Classic Cast you can just about put yourself behind a Lee Classic Turret press which appears to speed up the process of reloading. That is likely the direction I'll go at some point in the future.

I think the single stage will always have it's place on my bench. When you want to super fine tune a cartridge, and reload to perfection including paying attention to detail at every level, you aren't in a hurry by no means and definitely want to use your quality single stage press.

trickg
08-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the single stage will always have it's place on my bench. When you want to super fine tune a cartridge, and reload to perfection including paying attention to detail at every level, you aren't in a hurry by no means and definitely want to use your quality single stage press.
That's kind of where I am right now, only I certainly don't have what would be considered by most to be the highest of quality single stage setups with my Lee Challenger kit. This gets the job done fine, but in the back of my head I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with a press that allows for a bit higher production or that's of higher quality - or both, such as a Dillon 550 - definitely more money, but a lot of folks swear by theirs.

PatMarlin
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I think it depends on what kind of shooter/reloader you are. If you don't have much time to spend reloading and shooting a progressive is a must have.

If you like to take the time and note all the differences acomplished when performing all the various steps a guy can get anal with when reloading, then a good single press like the LEE classic cast is very nice.

I have all three, well four actually. The Challenger, which was my first, the 500B Dillon, the LEE classic single and the LEE classic turret.

For working up runs of loads, specially trying to get a few calibers in on one day where time is tight the LEE turret wins hands down. The Dillon shines for large quantities with more set up time.

All and all I think LEE has hit the ball way out of the park on this one with the turret. I like that press, and it is now become my go to fast press for working up loads.

trickg
08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Does the Classic Cast allow for the quick change bushings, or is it set up to where you have to screw the dies in and out? I like the quick change feature about my Challenger, and I think that I would like the quick change feature with the quick change turrets on the Classic Turret press. My ammo runs when I reload are typically less than 200 rounds, and usually only around 100. That may change in the future, but I appreciate your post because based on your descriptions of how you use your presses, the Classic Turret press is the one to get. For no more than I reload, the Dillon would probably be a bit much. Dad had one, but then again, he was reloading for his full-autos which tend to get pretty hungry for ammo. :D

Dale53
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
The Classic Turret press with the quick change turrets will allow you to change calibers in seconds. When I make small runs, it is the Lee Classic Turret press that I go to. When I have large runs of several different calibers, I use one of my two Dillon 550B's. I would not want to be without either.

I'm retired but time is still precious. I have no desire to "waste" it!

Dale53

handyrandyrc
08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
The Classic Turret press with the quick change turrets will allow you to change calibers in seconds.

Yup, pick yourself up a couple of extra turrets, and you are set to go! I have one for each caliber/set of dies.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-28-2008, 05:42 PM
trickg,

The Classic Cast single stage will accept a Hornady LnL bushing kit and this makes for extremely fast die changes. This is how I have mine set up, as I also have a Hornady LnL progressive, but use the Lee for assorted jobs. I don't know if it can be modified with the Lee bushing kit, but I suspect it can. You'd have to check with Lee on that.

Regards,

Dave

jimkim
08-31-2008, 02:02 AM
I keep thinking about getting another press to dedicate to de-priming, bullet sizing and case charging. Then I remember, oh yeah, I can just order more turrets. I love my old Lee.

rugerdude
08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Good to see all these GA boys in here! Seems like we are in the minority some times! :mrgreen:

Dave, I have my Classic Cast single stage set up like you describe. The LNL conversion is the only way to go on that press. Not quite as fast as the turret press, but very capable of doing what I need it to.

joeb33050
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Yesterday I FL sized 240 308 Win cases on the RCBS JR. press. It was some work, but not terrible. This is something I don't do very often, mostly breech seat or neck size, pistol only Competitor in 30BR.
The RCBS press has another threaded hole for the handle, I can't figure out what it's for or how it works. Now "at rest" has the handle DOWN, and I wish it was up. Anybody??
Thanks;
joe b.

TAWILDCATT
09-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I have several single stage presses,very seldom use them.have lee old turret [3]
use them as single stage,had one link break dont know why,sent in part to Lee got new steel link for free.I load 20 calibers and am messing with 41 swiss and 43 mauser.also 7.35 carcano.converting the carcano from berdan to boxer about only case that can be.I have rcbs and bonanza,lee,herter and never broke any excep the one lee.I cant figure why lee bothered with it.the clasic cast turret in 4 hole is the way to go.[smilie=1:

Randy in Arizona
09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
The RCBS press has another threaded hole for the handle, I can't figure out what it's for or how it works. Now "at rest" has the handle DOWN, and I wish it was up. joe b.

Manual here (http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/RS_or_JR_3_Manual.pdf)
No instructions on how to reverse the action, but look at the drawings, bet you can figure it out!

enfieldphile
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
3rd on the LEE Classic. THE cat's meow in presses... [smilie=6:

Agreed! a very fine press.

bruce drake
10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Broke my second set of Aluminum toggle links on my LEE Challenger press resizing some trimmed down 30-06 cases to 8mm Mauser. My fault - little lube and loose nut and the links snapped.

I am not ready yet to switch over to a Breechlock challenger so I called their contact line and they sent me the parts for $5.50 plus $5 shipping. The parts came today and the upgrade is a 100% improvement in both the new steel toggle links as well the new handle geometry.

I am looking forward to using the now improved Challenger Press. I did three quick cartridge reforms after assembling the press again and it was smooth.

Nice to get the press up and running again in just 6 days.

I'm a LEE Fan so I am biased but the system works and I have never broken the bank in getting reloading supplies. I even bought an extra Ram Primer and a backup Safety Scale on the same purchase so it was a great repair/resupply opportunity.

Bruce

mooman76
10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I broke mine too. Get a locking nut for that link( someone advised they here) and you probably won't have that problem any more. I here the new links are made stronger.

Ragnarok
10-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Joe, get yourself a Lee Classic Cast press. It's a heavy duty jewel.

Yeah..you could beat a rhinosaurus to death with one of these...and it will accept the big 1 1/4" dies too.

Char-Gar
10-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I am using a 55 year old RCBS A2 and the linkage is solid as a rock. Those that like Lee should buy and use Lee. I am all in favor of what makes folks happy.

1hole
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
"...the TOGGLE LINKS broke. "

That's usually because the bolt holding the two part toggle block together was loose. That changes the geometry of the lever into a prying force more than a rotating force. And poor case lube makes the pressure on that joint really high unless the bolt is very tight. It's unfair to fault the press if it's used incorrectly.

(Perhaps some people really NEED a chunk of iron like an A2. I have seen photos of Rock Chuckers with broken top straps so obviously THEY aren't strong enough to survive some users!!)

Pigslayer
10-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Lee Classic Cast!

I have a Lyman Orange Crusher press (all cast iron) & has been a fine investment. I've had it for ten years. It resizes my 7mm Rem. Mags with ease. I recently though purchased a Lee Challenger press on Ebay (New Old Stock) & am quite impressed with it for the money. I bought it especially for my pistol cases i.e. 9mm, .357 mag, .44 mag & .45 Long Colt. It's working out fine. But I have really been eyeing Lee's Classic Cast . . . fine looking press!!! :bigsmyl2:

plmitch
10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Busted the toggle links on my older Challenger press just last week. Other than that its been a good press.

Chicken Thief
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Cracked mine a year ago and simply made a solid alu one.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0010701.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0010702.jpg

Only grive is that the die and ram is not on the same line and sometimes the case will contact the die edge before entering.