PDA

View Full Version : 10mm SWC

oldskeetshooter
12-09-2016, 10:25 AM
My recently completed project seems to require a "specialty" bullet. I acquired an, older, Colt Delta Cup frame, a newer Colt DE slide and a Kart 10mm C/P ramped barrel. I wanted this to be a "do it myself" project so I fitted the barrel to the slide, cut the frame for the ramp and assembled the gun using various "innards". I wanted to check for operation before my good fire control parts arrived.

All went well with jacketed bullets, unless the bullet had a wide meplat. LSWC were a different story. After searching the net, I found a couple of REAL smiths that specialized in cutting the barrel ramps to 31 degrees. I did not want to go that extreme, so I ground an end mill and recut the ramp to 29 degrees. Voila, success!! Except for cast lswc with a wider meplat. Bullets from a Lyman 155 gr 401654 feed well, other not so well. I did not want to cut the ramp any more for fear of losing case head support.

My question is: Has anyone here found a mold for an "inherently" accurate boolit with a shorter nose and narrow meplat in the 180gr range for 10mm auto?

I fired of some emails to mold builders to get there opinion but would like some input from the experts here. I am fond of Tom's molds at Accurate molds and hope he has one available, but would use other's molds if necessary.

The photos, below show the barrel differences. The barrel on the left is the Kart with the ramp cut to 29 degrees. The barrel on the right is a factory Colt barrel. Big difference in case head support. The other photo is the frame, slide, barrel and bushing.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

georgerkahn
12-09-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't know if this helps, but I have un-altered Colt Delta Elite and a S&W 1006 10mm autos, and my bullet of choice is the Accurate Molds 10mm 3-cavity brass mould - # 40-195G. This functions in both superbly, as well as a S&W 610 revolver. Interestingly, mould is listed as "195G" but mine all seem to drop at about 182 grains. I use wheel weights with a tad of tin and a bit of RotoMetals superhard mixed in as my alloy. The Accurate mould performs superbly! I also have/use a LYMAN 40163810mm Auto 4-Cavity 175 gr Bevel Base/#43 top punch which I sort of retired after I bought and started using the Accurate. It, too, however casts fine bullets indeed.
I hope this helps?
geo

runfiverun
12-09-2016, 11:58 AM
the rnfp designs meant for the 38-40 seem to glide through unaltered guns just fine.

GWM
12-17-2016, 01:42 PM
I too had an unadultered Delta Gold Cup and an IAI Javelina "clone", they worked great with RCBS 170gn TC boolits. I was going to do what you have done and fit a ramped barrel but I sold them instead. I would like maximum case head support, I have blown cases, it is not a good thing to to. Now I'm missing a 10mm, I would like to build one from scratch. I have been looking at the 40-170DG mold as I'd like a gas check for high performance.

hollywood63
12-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Not a swc but Lee 170 TC run through my Tangfolio like butter

9.3X62AL
12-17-2016, 03:32 PM
What HW63 said. The Lee TC design (mine has conventional lube groove) runs like water through my 40 Short & Weaks (CZ, Glock, Beretta) and my 10mms (Glock and S&W). Same story with the 9mm and 45 ACP Lee variants. They just plain RUN. Seat them with .020" of front drive band exposed above the case mouth, set a light taper crimp, and go have fun.

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2016, 06:19 PM
yup for all my 40 and 10mm shooting I could live with just the lee TC

rond
12-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Does the rim of the case slip under the extractor easily? If not that could cause hang ups. I use 180 gr. RNFP with no trouble but I don't have a ramped barrel.

fredj338
12-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I have un-altered Colt Delta Elite and a S&W 1006 10mm autos, and my bullet of choice is the Accurate Molds 10mm 3-cavity brass mould - # 40-195G. This functions in both superbly, as well as a S&W 610 revolver. Interestingly, mould is listed as "195G" but mine all seem to drop at about 182 grains. I use wheel weights with a tad of tin and a bit of RotoMetals superhard mixed in as my alloy. The Accurate mould performs superbly! I also have/use a LYMAN 40163810mm Auto 4-Cavity 175 gr Bevel Base/#43 top punch which I sort of retired after I bought and started using the Accurate. It, too, however casts fine bullets indeed.
I hope this helps?
geo

That mold is based on my design that Tom cut for me. It runs I my early model Delta, 1006 & Gen3 G20sf. Funny, mine casts pretty close to the 195gr but then I am using range scrap & clip ww mixed 50/50.