PDA

View Full Version : over powder cards need some ideas

49FMarlin
12-09-2016, 09:33 AM
loading 12 gauge magtech with BP (FFg goex) and don't have any over powder cards,,GRRR
I do have tons of fiber cushion wads and over shot cards,,

is there anything around the house i can use for an over powder card?
can i glue up some of the over shot cards?

SSGOldfart
12-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Felt would be Ideal,but the back of a note pad makes a good over powder wad.I like the trays that meat comes In. From your foodmart,The pink colored Styrofoam ones work best for me,you can even pour melted lube on it he inside,then after it hardens a bit cut out wads with a used case or punch. you now you have wad and lube keep it simple your fiber wads should work as well.

Lead pot
12-09-2016, 03:54 PM
When I load black powder shot shells I use enough wasp nests and I don't use the roll crimp I do the star crimp.

Kevin Rohrer
12-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Notepad backing is excellent.

KCSO
12-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Just double or triple up on over shot cards. I glue up my wads in a one piece column with 3 o/s on the bottom and a cushion on top and the shot in a paper tube. Powder, one wad column shot and an over shot. Tear the front of the shot tube as it goes in, for many repeat shots dip the wad column about 1/2 way onto a light beeswax and Crisco mixture and you are good to go.

country gent
12-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Alot of mterials are used for over powder wads. Coffee Can lids ( LDPE), tablet backing or cardboard, cork, Gasket materials ( Napa rubber fiber gasket material is [popular with alot), Waxed cartoon milk and juice containers, felt, and some others. With shot gun shells the wad stack sets the hieght for the over shot wad crimp to be right or the star crimp to be formed properly. Sometimes one wad is enough sometimes itmay take a stack of several. A simple punch can be made to cut wads. A slightly smaller General leather punch or Arch punch can be honed lapped out to the correct size for your cases. Shoot for .005-.010 over the inside case dia. Wads can then be punched with a hammer on the end grain of a block of wood. 12 gauge is around 72 caliber so a 11/16 punch would be close. A old case can be used but a thin brass case dosnt hold up long as a cutting tool. A piece of steel pipe can be used also.

Col4570
12-10-2016, 05:13 PM
A 3/4" Wad punch and a cornflakes box will supply all you need.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-14-2016, 11:08 AM
There are two ways gases can get in front of the wads. Felt with the edges rolled in lube are good at stopping the gases getting around the edges, and card stops the gases getting through the porous felt. (Totally saturating the wad in grease or wax ought to work, but costs more and being incompressible but flexible, can run up pressures.) So no amount of card wads are enough on their own. They are an adjunct to something else.

Have you ever framed pictures with a card surround? The card for this purpose is unusually thick and hard, and usually comes faced with coloured paper, so that when you cut out the centre with the special 45 degree cutter, you get a contrasting white bevelled edge. I don't know any card better for the purpose, and if you use the edges for pictures, you get free middles.

Nobade
12-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Corrugated cardboard boxes work for me. Made a cutter to run in the drill press and I can cut a bunch pretty fast with it.

-Nobade

38-72
12-16-2016, 02:23 PM
I have loaded magtech blackpowder 20 gauge for several years now. I load several hundred rounds a year. And, using an arch punch, I punch all my wads from commonly available materials. For card wads (over powder and shot) I use, heavy tag board stock that I get from cereal boxes (not the corrugated type). I also punch 1/4" thick cork wads from 12x12 poster squares I get at Walmart. I punch up felt wads from dura-felt sheets and soak the wads in melted lube. I even make an 1/8" thick grease cookies that I place on top of the felt wad. The possibles are endless. One thing I will not do is use a plastic wad cup. I have cleaned my last plastic bake on mess out my shotgun bore. After a day of shooting a SSAS match, the bore is easily clean with a few passes of the cleaning rod.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Corrugated cardboard boxes work for me. Made a cutter to run in the drill press and I can cut a bunch pretty fast with it.

-Nobade

Yes, the drill press (or a lathe, is very good. Like even a smooth round awl for leather, it won't stick if it is revolving. If there is a bore all the way through the spindle you can poke the wads out with a dowel.

Reverend Al
12-19-2016, 03:08 PM
If you load any quantity and don't feel like punching out your own wads then Circle Fly Wads has any type of card or fibre wad you might ever need at reasonable prices ...

http://www.circlefly.com/

Col4570
12-21-2016, 03:19 AM
I use concrete expansion joint sealing fibre.it comes in various thicknesses.I cut them out with an own made revolving cutter that has a Spring inside to eject the Wads.I then mix Candle wax with cooking oil, melt the mixture and briefly float the Wads until coated.When set they are just about the same as bought fibre Wads.Builders Merchants stock this material,it comes in various widths.One length will make thousands of wads.
Word of caution,make sure your cutter is absolutely sharp otherwise it will shred the fibre whilst cutting.The strength of the Wads comes after dipping.

victorfox
12-21-2016, 09:43 AM
I use pretty much anything for OP: notebook/agenda covers, document folders, inner core of aluminum foil/plastic wrap/paper towel (some brands are considerably thicker!), plastic adhesive tape cores (large ones used to seal boxes, like duct tape width), anything that is quite solid. I have a set of China punchers, from 5mm to 3/4. For 12ga, use 3/4.

[edited to add]

Use a block of wood (I use a 6" length of 2x4) and place the material following the grain, the cut will be a lot cleaner and easier on you and the tool.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Circle Fly

hiram
12-29-2016, 01:58 AM
I use the liquor box liners. The cardboard is stiff. Grayish in color. You can get 100's of wads from one set of liners.

GhostHawk
12-29-2016, 08:40 AM
I went with BPI for Nitro card wads for my Brass shotshells.

But of the homemade solutions I liked a nice carboard overshot card and then a couple of layers of those foam trays they sell meat on. I took a new brass shotshell, sharpened the edge. Put a blowgun dart down the inside and out the flashhole. Bent it over and wrapped it with tape. When I get 2 or 3 cut a push shoves them out to land in a cup and I go back to cutting.

Buckshot
01-09-2017, 03:01 AM
..............Ditto BPI (Ballistics Products Inc) plus they also have a loading manual for the brass Magtech cases.

...........Buckshot