PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Quality

hp246
12-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Thought I saw a thread somewhere about Marlin quality during and after the takeover by Remington. Any idea where the MR prefix falls?

osteodoc08
12-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Judge the firearms individual merits. I've seen really nice stuff and some really big turds from before and after the take over and move.

I have 2 really nice 1895 rifles. One is the GS model which is a traditional JM and a GBL model which is a Remlin. Both are their equal and they're both really really good

hp246
12-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Judge the firearms individual merits. I've seen really nice stuff and some really big turds from before and after the take over and move.

I have 2 really nice 1895 rifles. One is the GS model which is a traditional JM and a GBL model which is a Remlin. Both are their equal and they're both really really good Absolutely. But if possible, I.d like to pre screen a bit before I drive a couple hours to look at a gun.

dragon813gt
12-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Absolutely. But if possible, I.d like to pre screen a bit before I drive a couple hours to look at a gun.
Can't do it. Even when bad ones were being turned out in mass there will still good ones being made at the same time. The good to bad ratio is firmly in the good at this point. You really need to look at everyone in person.

hp246
12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Maybe, but if there were a large number of bad guns done during that period, I don't want to waste my time driving two hours. To my original question, what time period were the MR prefix guns made?

Morgan61
12-09-2016, 11:19 AM
The MR prefix was first used in 2009 and still have the JM proof stamp.
The first Remlins were made after August, 2010 which is when they laid off all the Marlin employee's and moved production to the Ilion, NY plant and that's where the problems began.
The rifles made in Ilion have an REP proof stamp.
The latest ones are supposedly pretty good but I would not buy one unless you could inspect it first.

Shuz
12-09-2016, 11:20 AM
It's my understanding that all guns carrying the MR prefix are M arlin R emington guns. I don't know if they carried on the old Marlin system of dating, but as you've seen from other responses, it really doesn't seem to matter when a gun was made after the takeover, some were good and others were not so good.

Morgan61
12-09-2016, 11:23 AM
It's my understanding that all guns carrying the MR prefix are M arlin R emington guns. I don't know if they carried on the old Marlin system of dating, but as you've seen from other responses, it really doesn't seem to matter when a gun was made after the takeover, some were good and others were not so good.

The Remlins use Remington's system of dating.

Jack Stanley
12-09-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm with you hp246 , I wouldn't drive two hours either . The Marlin could be either way but you've already lost what you put into the trip . It doesn't hurt to look at the ones in the gun shop or show you are visiting . There are a lot of Marlins around and you will find what you are looking for soon enough .

Jack

W.R.Buchanan
12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
The MR guns were made assembled by Remington using left over Marlin Parts.

There is no way to discern whether the gun you are going to see is going to be nice or a turd unless maybe you get them to take a pic of it for you. Then you may or may not be able to figure it out from the pic.

If you were really interested in the gun the idea of driving 2 hours wouldn't be that big a deal and especially if it was a highly desirable gun. I have driven 2 hours to look at a car that turned out to be a complete turd even though the owner swore it was perfect! And it happened more than once. Lots of people will lie to try to get you there so they can try to "sell you."

That said I wouldn't drive 2 hours to see any Marlin Rifle since there are plenty laying around and I already have all of them I need.

If you really, really want it then sometimes you just gotta throw the dice.

Randy

hp246
12-09-2016, 07:59 PM
The MR prefix was first used in 2009 and still have the JM proof stamp.
The first Remlins were made after August, 2010 which is when they laid off all the Marlin employee's and moved production to the Ilion, NY plant and that's where the problems began.
The rifles made in Ilion have an REP proof stamp.
The latest ones are supposedly pretty good but I would not buy one unless you could inspect it first. Thanks. This was the onfo I was looking for, but couldn't find.

hp246
12-09-2016, 08:00 PM

There is no way to discern whether the gun you are going to see is going to be nice or a turd unless maybe you get them to take a pic of it for you. Then you may or may not be able to figure it out from the pic.

If you were really interested in the gun the idea of driving 2 hours wouldn't be that big a deal and especially if it was a highly desirable gun. I have driven 2 hours to look at a car that turned out to be a complete turd even though the owner swore it was perfect! And it happened more than once. Lots of people will lie to try to get you there so they can try to "sell you."

That said I wouldn't drive 2 hours to see any Marlin Rifle since there are plenty laying around and I already have all of them I need.

Randy Thanks .

FergusonTO35
12-11-2016, 01:20 PM
One thing I've been thinking about lately. Remlin gets alot of grief for poor QC, most of which they rightfully deserve. At the same time, the Winchester 94 was a real throw of the dice from 1964-2005, especially if you got one of the less expensive versions. I love the 94 design and bought one brand friggin' new in 2003, a Ranger model. Don't laugh, it is what I could afford on $7.50 an hour!

The rifle was a good shooter and accounted for quite a few deer. Unfortunately, even though it had the all important New Haven, CT stamp the rifle must have been put together by neanderthals. The action was very loose and the lever would start to open just by gravity. The forend and buttstock had yawning gaps against the receiver which collected debris when hunting in the brush. The sights were canted to the right when I bought it, had Williams Gunsight correct it. The metal bluing would have been more durable if applied with a washable magic marker you could scratch it with your fingernail. Winchester should have subletted production to the artisans of Khyber Pass, they would undoubtedly have done better.

I wish Remington had kept Marlin in Connecticut where they belong. Still, if Remlin gets it turned around and makes quality rifles I can forgive. Ultimately that is all that matters to me. The late model 336C's and 1895's at the fun store are respectable looking rifles, with good assembly and finish. If Remlin manages to apply these standards to the entire line then that is a good thing, something Winchester never figured out how to do.

shoot-n-lead
12-11-2016, 01:56 PM
One thing I've been thinking about lately. Remlin gets alot of grief for poor QC, most of which they rightfully deserve. At the same time, the Winchester 94 was a real throw of the dice from 1964-2005, especially if you got one of the less expensive versions. I love the 94 design and bought one brand friggin' new in 2003, a Ranger model. Don't laugh, it is what I could afford on $7.50 an hour!

The rifle was a good shooter and accounted for quite a few deer. Unfortunately, even though it had the all important New Haven, CT stamp the rifle must have been put together by neanderthals. The action was very loose and the lever would start to open just by gravity. The forend and buttstock had yawning gaps against the receiver which collected debris when hunting in the brush. The sights were canted to the right when I bought it, had Williams Gunsight correct it. The metal bluing would have been more durable if applied with a washable magic marker you could scratch it with your fingernail. Winchester should have subletted production to the artisans of Khyber Pass, they would undoubtedly have done better.

I wish Remington had kept Marlin in Connecticut where they belong. Still, if Remlin gets it turned around and makes quality rifles I can forgive. Ultimately that is all that matters to me. The late model 336C's and 1895's at the fun store are respectable looking rifles, with good assembly and finish. If Remlin manages to apply these standards to the entire line then that is a good thing, something Winchester never figured out how to do.

There were plenty of good post '64 94's produced...give it a rest.

It is fine for you to like the Mossberg...but if you are trying to turn everyone against the Winchester...you are fighting a losing battle as there are too many folks that know better.

snowwolfe
12-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Unless the asking price makes it a steal or the model is no longer in production I would opt to buying a new Remlin. For me to make a 4 hour round trip to consider any rifle it would have to be a steal of a deal confirmed with photos up front.

FergusonTO35
12-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Yes, there were plenty of good post -64 rifles turned out. I never said otherwise. The problem is, for not years but decades Winny let so many go out the door with embarrassing defects just as Remlin has. Remlin seems to be getting things turned around five years in. Winchester never really did unless you bought one of the high end $$$ models. I like the 94 but I won't withold criticism that Winchester has earned. Same for Remlin or any other gunmaker that disrespects it's customers with substandard products.

odfairfaxsub
12-12-2016, 06:18 AM
My 45-70 was spot on, my 35 Remington has a loose handguard fit and loose front sight hood and rougher chamber all which will be addressed by warrenty dept. the 45-70 I wouldn't sell it for a pension plan!!! I think they turn good guns w a bad one here and there. I've had bad Thompson center guns before still love them, have had bad other brands....it's the burden of the beast. At work have had bad misibishi sw gear w minor air leak issues from factory and that comes from a cooperate structure that would rather kill themselves than lay one worker off so take it easy id say

MyFlatline
12-17-2016, 09:45 PM
Have not had good luck with the MR Marlins. Fit and finish is getting better but had to send the 44 back because of jambing the lever and had to re-crown the 308 mx to get decent groups. I love my Marlins but the last two I bought were Henry BBS's.

snowwolfe
12-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Have not had good luck with the MR Marlins. Fit and finish is getting better but had to send the 44 back because of jambing the lever and had to re-crown the 308 mx to get decent groups. I love my Marlins but the last two I bought were Henry BBS's.

My experiences are just the opposite. All three of the JM's I purchased during the early 2000 time period were junk. But my new 1895 MR is a keeper. Luck of the draw I guess.

FergusonTO35
12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
The fun store currently has a 336 stainless on the rack fresh from Remlin. The good news is that the action is smooth and tight and I have to admit stainless looks good on a 336. The bad news is, the forend is fat, the wood to metal has yawning gaps, and the front sight is set to 12:30.:oops:

Caster1977
12-21-2016, 09:43 PM
183242I have a .45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL I purchased in 2013 with the MR lead on the SN. Wood to metal fit was tight. Checkering on the laminated stock was/is crisp. It tosses 3/4" groups at 50 yards, freehand, Buckhorn sights running 405 grain cast bullets over 37 grains of IMR-4198. You don't shoot this of the bench for many rounds. It's better to stand and rock with the recoil. I have to say I'm very pleased with the quality of THIS Remlin...

jjamna
12-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Where is the MR located? In front of the serial number?

Randy

jjamna
12-22-2016, 01:27 AM
Well I posted before I read all the post :(
Just saw that the MR is before the serial number sorry.