PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Material (Possibly Lead Wool)

sealer
12-08-2016, 05:23 PM
I have come across what looks to be lead wool. It looks like 000 steel wool, but it is very heavy, bendable, and packs very densely. But when you put a torch to it, it does not melt like lead. A propane torch will just barely melt some of the fibers. And a fingernail will barely scratch it once it is melted into a solid piece.
Any ideas ?
Thanks, Dennis

jaguarxk120
12-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Chances are you came across some bronze wool.

runfiverun
12-08-2016, 07:24 PM
lead wool will melt okay but it takes a bit of heat because of the oxides on the surface.
it's usually dead soft lead once you do melt it.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-16-2016, 04:55 PM
hey r5r, hows it going? so what is lead wool used for, would seem like it would make a poor abrasive as soft as it is, and also depending on the surface, it would color/stain things gray, wouldn't it? also where do you come across it, in case I should keep an eye out?

skeettx
12-16-2016, 05:11 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_wool

Wayne Smith
12-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Penn State Industries sells things for woodturners. Among thier wares are dart kits. They are weighted with lead wool. That was the only use I knew for it.

Garyshome
12-16-2016, 06:23 PM
They make sweaters out of that stuff

kenyerian
12-16-2016, 06:26 PM
It was used to caulk cast iron pipes . Shows up during demolition of buildings that used cast iron pipes for waste water systems.

runfiverun
12-16-2016, 09:33 PM
we used to go and pound it in water pipes that were leaking at the joints too.
much easier than removing half the building to get to a 90* right behind the wall.

you won't find much of it just kicking around these day's.

375RUGER
12-16-2016, 11:41 PM
One use is for radiation shielding. The wool blankets are lighter and easier to handle than an equivalent lead sheet.

RugerFan
12-17-2016, 12:31 AM
When I was stationed in Hawaii in the mid-90s, a local hardware store sold lead wool. I have no idea what for, but I believe it was in the plumbing section. I would buy it occasionally as a source for dead-soft lead for my bullet casting.

depoloni
12-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Lead wool is used pounded into masonry joints as "chinking" to secure brick roof flashings at the bases of masonry chimneys, sidewalls, etc. One cuts the notches in the masonry for the top-edge lip of the flashing metal to tuck into, then stuffs lead wool into the joint and pounds it in to secure the metal tightly and prevent water intrusion.

We do it all the time, typically with copper, zinc-coated copper, or lead flashings on the old churches we repair, historical restorations, that sort of thing.

Smoke4320
12-19-2016, 12:08 PM
and here I thought some of you grew up on Farms .. Lead wool comes from lead sheep Just like lead pigs Oh never mind :) :)

Bookworm
12-19-2016, 03:55 PM
They make sweaters out of that stuff

Sweaters for deep-sea divers. It's cold down there, and the extra weight helps keep the diver on the bottom.

jeepyj
12-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I've obtained some here and there. It comes out of cast iron pipe joints where generally where someone cut in a new section of drain pipe in an old home and didn't want to fire up the lead pot. Generally you'd pack first with Oakum then finish off with the lead wool. I toss it into the pot with the rest of the scrap.
Jeepyj

carbine
12-20-2016, 07:38 PM
They used tons of it building the nuke plant in LI,NY
plant never opened