PDA

View Full Version : Could this carbine be right?

charger 1
06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
Posted this other places too. Nobody knows. Its an early 1920's gun. The sight ramp and mag bother me. I wonder if their possible
http://usera.imagecave.com/chargerdive/Picture034.jpg

dubber123
06-19-2008, 06:30 AM
The sight ramp especially doesn't look right to me for a 20's production lever.

MtGun44
06-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Seems like the "button" mag was a normal catalog or special order item
most of the time. I have seen quite a few of them. I don't know if there
was a particular date that they started offering this, tho.

Bill

scrapcan
06-20-2008, 10:59 AM
If you want to know for sure call the winchester museum in Cody, WY. Or find a knolwedgeable winchester collector and a copy of the winchester 94/95 book for collectors. It will answer most of the questions you ahve about the rifle. My book is loaned out so cannot look it up for you at the moment.

The book will give you representative part examples for different years of manufacture.

And how much are they asking for it? Would that price make a big difference in wether you want to shoot it or not? Are you buying it as a shooter to being with? Just hings to ask yourself when you start dickering on price, but you already know that.

KCSO
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
The sight LOOKS modern but it is hard to tell from the photo's. I looked in my 94 Winchester book and in the 20's if you had the money you could order just about any combination that you wanted. 1/2 mag 3/4 mag rifle butt on a carbine and visa versa. You could have the factory put on any sight you wanted including Lyman and Marbles so unless you hhave a factory lettter you may never knoow. I would look for any indications of change, is there a cut or hole under the front of the barrel for a full length tube. How is the tube retained now, is there a screw into the barrel? Is there BLUE in the screw hole?