PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on scopes

vrh
12-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Having to buy a new scope for my 50 inline muzzle loader.
Was wondering what everyone has on their rifles.
Wanting a good scope that will take the recoil and last for awhile.

Squeeze
12-07-2016, 08:11 AM
I was strictly leupold for decades. Lately I've tried Vortex and love them too, and have several now. I have 2 Nightforce and they are great. (way heavier and more expensive) I have had 3 different Zeiss all go bad on smokeless big boomers, so that was their last chance. For me, its really between Leupold, and Vortex. ( I stay away from the cheap lines in everything. Buy quality, and the pain is short lived. Miss ONE good hunting opportunity because of optic failure, and that will hurt forever...) Both Leupold and Vortex have great unconditional guarantees, and good customer service.

charlie b
12-07-2016, 09:13 AM
I had a cheap Tasco 3x9 on my inline for many years. Worked well.

dondiego
12-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I like Burris scopes.

54bore
12-07-2016, 12:31 PM
I would pay the bucks for the Leupold, next would be Vortex, if you go Vortex i would stay away from the cheapest Crossfire line, Made in China junk

nagantguy
12-07-2016, 12:38 PM
The Nikon bcd 250 has been the best scope on any of my muzzle loaders by far, easy to use the drop compensating circles work pretty well, and know you don't have to use a 250 grain bullet and 150 grains of powder for it wo work out you just have to play with it and figure out where your load is hitting, my longest shot to date was 175 yards dead right there! It has had to be sent back for repairs twice, both fully covered and both because of stupid things I did, dropped from a tree and dropped on a title floor, since 08 it has never failed because of use or fault of its own

Good Cheer
12-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm scope shopping too. Was looking at the Nikon bullet drop compensator pistol scopes on line. But the various websites wouldn't show what the cross hairs and circles looked like. I watched their sales pitch video but they didn't show the pistol scope which is what I'd put on a muzzeloader. Finally gave up and figgered that if I'm ever in a store and can see one then maybe so.

Currently I'm running a Simmons 2x6 pistol scope on a .52 Renegade with no complaints. Using a clamp on type scope mount to move it on down the barrel.
Looking at 1.25x3x0.125 wall aluminum rectangular tubing to make another clamp on scope mount for target shooting with Renegade barrels. Thinking an epoxy on picatinny rail on top of the channel (one short side removed from the tube) to avoid putting multiple holes through the high stress area at the top of the channel and a quick detach to cam onto the rail. Any how, I'm all ears about scope picks for muzzleloaders.

nagantguy
12-07-2016, 04:49 PM
I have no dog in the fight,no money at stake but it was years of trial and error pistol scopes fixed powers, adjoins variables none were just right and it seems to me that a muzzle loader especially a light weight one will quickly kill a sub par scope. Anyhow the Nikon omega bcd has been great I like the shape of the scope the coating over it, the rounded edges the adjustments are repeatable and sure, it was because of this scope on a few in lines that I did my ultimate accuracy testing that I posted about two years here! I'd have never considered a 250 yard shot before with any scope I've tried on several muzzle loaders, not even coyotes are safe at that distance, the 209x50 encore is my primary hunting tool and sees more days afield and at the range than all my other long guns combined and other than the times I dropped the rifle on the scope hard on hard surfaces it's never wavered not on 38 below late season doe hunts in northern Michigan to 102 degree days with 100% humidity in deep southern swaps looking for key deer and hogs.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-07-2016, 05:15 PM
2x7 Leopold is what I use on my TC