PDA

View Full Version : Indentification also...310?

racepres
12-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Y'all did such a bang-up job on ID for Herb in PA, That I thought I might have a test!!!
http://www.amraonline.com/Gunpics/Sizers.jpg

Look like maybe Lyman 310 threads...maybe.
But, No threads on the inside at either end!!!
Very Abrupt leade at one end, and then a long tapered leade into the other end.
No threads whatsoever on the short ones. [there is a couple of each except the long one.] Different sizes internally...but, nothing that would seem normal for Boolit Sizing....
No Markings except the numbers .311 on the long one..If it is a boolit sizer, it is a very generous .311 because a .314 boolit will drop thru...
Just a curiosity!!! I bought them without me, nor the seller knowing What they are...
I just couldn't help myself!!!!!

Appreciate the "Look", and any input....I mean Any Input!!!!

Heck!!!! Maybe they are not Reloading Equipment at all?????

Thanks again for looking.
I will try to get better Pics, if It will do any good!!!!

Edit; yes that is a Hornet case for size relationship!!!

Pressman
12-07-2016, 07:02 AM
There are no threads on the center die as it is the powder drop die for the Lyman 55 powder measure. Put a 7/8-14 adapter on the die, mount the 55 measure on the grooved end and mount it on a Lyman Spar-T turret press. Or any other press for that matter.

Ken

ascast
12-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Not a powder drop die for Lyman 55. Those are threaded on the outside. The one on the far right may be for the Lyman 55 as it has a small flat for the set screw on the measure itself. The first may be some early variation before bench mounted presses were common, such as the Tru-Line JR.
All these dies ( reloading) are neck size only, so caliber would be bullet dia plus 8-12 0.001's inch: more/less. They will need to expanded back up to correct size. They may not be Lyman as 2 other makers used the die size 0.605" x 30 tpi IIRC. Red Head from Minnesota and some outfit it Australia.

racepres
12-07-2016, 11:39 AM
WOW!!!
Powder Drop Tubes!!! Now, that makes sense...looking from that perspective there is a reason there is a large and a Small of each!!! Should have been a dead Giveaway!!!
Good Work from you Cats!!!
Now that long one on the left is the "odd man out" No internal taper at all at the non threaded end, and a Very [very] slight internal taper [leade] on the threaded end..
Inside there appears to be something like Rifling in there!! or about 3 or four Rings maybe...my eyes aint what they used to be. It is the only one with a Mark...it is 311, no decimal. Inside seems to be a bit bigger than .315 tho.

Thanks for even looking guys

That 311 was nagging me..Dug out an old Lochmiller, I think set for a 38/357. The seating stem has a 311 on top of it, and ... Sure enough, the threads are the same...tho I have a couple of Adapter rings for the 38/357 set that allows use in a 7/8 press.
Wondering alout...why so long??? and also no inside threads..unless that "rifling" is some sort of very course thread!!!
Ascast; Checking, the 311 die could certainly neck size a 30-06...

Char-Gar
12-07-2016, 12:15 PM
The one on the left is indeed a bullet sizing die. These things really were not meant to size bullets but scrape off excess lube after pan lubing, which is why they are oversize for the marking. They came with a push rod, which is missing. These replaced the old sizing hole in the older Ideal steel tools. Try sizing bullets with one of these in a 310 tool and you will find you need the arms of Godzilla or King Kong to do so.

The 310 sizing dies did not come with a 310 die set, but were an optional item to be purchased separately. They are worthless unless you pan lube, in which case they are neat gizmos.

The middle one is an early powder drop tube for the Lyman 55. These came with no threads and were not adaptable to press mounting.

The one on the right is the current Lyman 55 powder drop tube. It is threaded so it can be press mounted with a 7/8 X 14 adapter.

Addendum: The Lyman 55 powder measures and their drop tube went through an evolution. The original tubes were aluminum and were held in the measure by a spring and had a groove all the way around the tube. The next were the steel tubes, like yours and they were held in by a screw, but still grooved all the the way around. The last, like the one on the right, were threaded for press mounting with adapter and only had a detente for the retaining screw.

I have a collection of Lyman 55 from the first model in 1947 until Lyman sold out in the early 70's and have examples of all the tubes and measures. They are all still in use. The Lyman 55 was the postwar evolution of the Ideal #5, are are very good measures and never wear out. They have their quirks of course, as do all power measuring devices.

racepres
12-11-2016, 12:41 PM
I really appreciate the Knowledge from all...especially Char-Gar for a very concise assesmant.
Now, I need to find folks who need powder drop tubes...as it ain't me..I will however use the Boolit size die...
Thanks again to all for the input...