PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/ Owner reviews of Remington model 710

CASTER OF LEAD
12-06-2016, 09:50 AM
I picked one up chambered in .243 Win. For $200. Not too sure it was a good deal, but don't feel like I got a bad one either.
Looking for anyone who owns ,or has owned one of these 710's, opinions of the weapon.
I have yet to shoot it. It has no scope /sights on it but does have a solid one piece base. Ran out of time before returning to work for shooting it. Be back home Dec.29th and hope to test fire it then. Any opinions and input welcome. Thanks in advance.- CASTER

Texas by God
12-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I had a model 710 and I actually liked it. It was a 270 and it was very accurate and dependable. You will have all sorts of people tell you it is junk but I guess they have not owned one. I like the model 710 much better than the Model 770 that followed it. Work the bolt like you mean it. IMO it beats the Savage Axis in looks. Best, Thomas.

Four Fingers of Death
12-16-2016, 01:33 AM
Like the plain girl at the dance, unappreciated, but a lot of potential.

We have a guy at the range that has one in 3006. Brilliant rifle and very accurate.

They have pneumatically fitted barrels apparently and I don't know how you'd go about replacing one, but in reality, who wears a barrel out in a hunting rifle?

I'd buy one as a hunter if one came up.

Texas by God
12-17-2016, 04:47 PM
If I find another in 30-06 or 7mm mag I'd not be afraid to buy it.

liliysdad
12-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Any input?

Junk...unmitigated, unadulterated junk. There are bargain guns, then there is the 710/770. Press fit barrels, plastic guiderails, overall **** design. Even the cheapest Stevens/Savage would be an upgrade.

That being said, I am sure they would be just fine for the 3 or 4 rd a year hunter.

Texas by God
12-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Told you.

RugerFan
12-19-2016, 12:17 AM
When my son was a young teen, he got a new 710 in 30-06 that was purchased with money he made mowing lawns. I started him out on light 125 gn jacketed loads and as he grew in stature, I upped the bullet weights accordingly (150, 165 and finally 180 gn). I can tell you the rifle is an absolute tack driver with all bullet weights and has taken numerous deer and hogs. Certainly doesn't have the attributes of a M700, but definitely worth the low cost paid. No regrets.

gwpercle
12-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Any input?

Junk...unmitigated, unadulterated junk. There are bargain guns, then there is the 710/770. Press fit barrels, plastic guiderails, overall **** design. Even the cheapest Stevens/Savage would be an upgrade.

That being said, I am sure they would be just fine for the 3 or 4 rd a year hunter.
How long did you own one and what were your experiences in the hunting field or target range.
My dad has one that he hunted deer with and now wants to give to me.

liliysdad
12-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Never owned one, but I make a policy of not spending money on junk.

I have, however, mounted scopes on several, sighted just as many in, and helped friends and acquaintances sight theirs in, worked up loads for several of them.

Most of them shot OK, but they are trash. Press fit barrels? Plastic action bits, horrendous triggers, the flimsiest of stocks...there is not one single redeeming quality. Not one.

Like I said earlier, for the 3 or 4 round a year deer hunter, they should be fine. With the glut of reasonably priced, decently priced budget rifles on the market, and even more, cheaper quality rifles on the used market...Why? Even the Remington 783, their replacement for the 710/770, is heads and shoulders above.

izzyjoe
12-20-2016, 10:40 PM
They were made to be a budget minded rifle, not meant to be target class rifles. All the ones I've delt with shot around 1.5"groups some a little more than that, but nothing out of the realm of a hunting rifle. Some folks expect way to much from hunting rifles, if a rifle shoots a 2 moa group, they deem it unfit as a hunting arm when not to long ago if you could keep 5 shots on a pie plate it was going to the woods to hunt! You will enjoy your 710, 243 is a great caliber for deer, and accurate enough for 200yd shots if you practice enough.

liliysdad
12-21-2016, 09:07 AM
I suppose I dont understand why you cant have both? Many, if not most, of the budget rifles on the market today will shoot MOA on a bad day, more often less than that. Past that, "good enough" is hardly the only factor in a rifle. Overall quality..trigger, stock, magazines, etc..should all be taken into account.

The 710/770 died for a reason...and being too good wasn't it.

nekshot
12-21-2016, 12:37 PM
my input, if they get a newbe into the gun or hunting world its a winner!!

Texas by God
12-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I had a Savage 10 Trophy Hunter .223. It would skip random rounds feeding. I had a Ruger American .243- same thing. The 710 never missed a lick in the 200 reloads I shot thru it in the 3 months I owned it. My experience. Sure it's cheap. But mine worked! Best, Thomas.

Hamish
12-21-2016, 02:00 PM
I am posting the following link not to start a fight but to present info as the reader sees fit. I own Remington's, and will continue to own them, but am twice as vigilant with them as I am with other brands, i.e., I don't close the bolt until I'm ready to fire. I do *not* consider safe to leave loaded any firearm using the Walker "trigger".

What we do is has its inherent dangers, this is just something else to consider:

https://www.kennerlyloutey.com/defective-remington-triggers-fire-still-not-recalled/

jjamna
12-22-2016, 03:13 PM
I traded a Rossi that I could never get the scope zeroed on (head space problem) At about a year old the magazine latch broke so I rigged it to stay in and load from the top. Then I read that Rem had some problems and would replace the stock with a 770 stock. Called them and they sent the stock. The action was a little stiff so I did some polishing and solved that problem. I now have a $200 tack driver that is lightweight and dependable. Wouldn't trade it for nothing. It is a 243 also.

Texas by God
12-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Steyr SSG rifles have a pressed in barrel. And plastic all over. Must be Euro-junk. Best, Thomas.

liliysdad
12-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Yes, a Steyr SSG is precisely equivalent to a Remington ultra budget rifle. Good analogy.

CASTER OF LEAD
12-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I will be scoping, and shooting this gun soon and how it shoots will determine its fate. Resale, trade, gift to a young shooter in the family. Who knows. Appreciate all responses. Like I said any and all opinions welcome. CASTER

roverboy
12-23-2016, 06:27 AM
My nephew had one in .30-06 and liked it alright. But, to me they look a little weird. No offense.

Shawlerbrook
12-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Agree with the above statement that if they get someone shooting, they accomplished their objective. They are what they are, an entry grade rifle that will accomplish what they were made for.

Four Fingers of Death
12-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Not much feel good factor, but competent tools.

Texas by God
12-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Yes, a Steyr SSG is precisely equivalent to a Remington ultra budget rifle. Good analogy.
I used your criteria to form that analogy. I'm glad you liked it! Merry Christmas to all!

rking22
12-29-2016, 10:11 PM
I want a Rook Rifle in good shape ,one I can buy without creating world war 3 at the family level :)

Tackleberry41
12-30-2016, 03:49 PM
The 710 were aimed at the casual hunter. Somebody who bought a hunting rifle took it out once a year to hunt, put a few rounds thru it before hand to make sure its sighted in. People who would not wear out a rifle with to many plastic parts. Used casually they will do the job probably for a long time. Any more use than that they tend to fall apart or break. Gunsmith perspective or someone who shoots alot, they are considered junk.

liliysdad
12-30-2016, 11:44 PM
The 710 were aimed at the casual hunter. Somebody who bought a hunting rifle took it out once a year to hunt, put a few rounds thru it before hand to make sure its sighted in. People who would not wear out a rifle with to many plastic parts. Used casually they will do the job probably for a long time. Any more use than that they tend to fall apart or break. Gunsmith perspective or someone who shoots alot, they are considered junk.

Be careful with that kind of talk around here.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-01-2017, 12:18 AM
plastic is for AR-15's...

The word is "Cheap" not "Inexpensive", and there are a couple reasons why they are not in production any more.