PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinson experiments

dave951
12-06-2016, 09:16 AM
So I'm an NSSA guy, but I'm looking for some input on Wilkinson bullets in 58cal. What info I'm finding so far indicates a powder charge of 45-55gr 3f Goex for a Wilkinson to stablize and shoot accurately out of a 3 band P53 or Springfield. I'm planning on trying 45 47.5 and 50 on Saturday. I only have a limited supply of these bullets for a trial at this time. If they shoot good, then I'll call Moose for a mold.

So anybody have any input here before I send my limited amount of lead downrange?

varsity07840
12-06-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not a skirmisher but from what I've seen on the N-SSA forum, you're on the right track. Apparently they work well in constant groove depth barrels and progressive depth. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Moose Wilkinson myself. My original '63 Springfield has a bit of an oversize bore so it's married to a Rapine .585, but my '41 Mississippi (.58) is a prime candidate.

dave951
12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Being sized to the bore is an absolute must for any kind of accuracy on these guns. I have two muskets that are "supposed" to be 577, but a pin guage says differently. If I try a 577, it just rattles on the way down, pin gauge says 580 and a little bit. I've been shooting a hogden sized to 579 with the long core pin and so far, the best I've done with it is about 3in or slightly under at 50. I'm looking to improve that. The other musket is the problem. It's a P53 Enfield by Euroarms and nothing I've tried so far has worked, hence this experiment. If it works in the Enfield, then I won't have to rebarrel or reline. If it shoots better in my 2 band Springfield, then even better.