PDA

View Full Version : Precision not power.

LAKEMASTER
12-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Spent some range time with my dad this weekend. Saw a good old boy at the other end of the range shooting by himself. Invited him down and us 3 took turns spotting the 200 yard shots.

He had a 30-06 rifle as i did. yet when he shot it there was no recoil. I asked him what reloads he had and he said ( no idea. Buddy made 1100 of these for the range and i just kept the rifle sighted in for them)

I guess the friend died a few years later so he just kept using them.

He had them Chronographed at 1400 ish fps. Some sort of cast round nose bullet.

He claims he's taken countless deer elk pig over the last 7 years.

He was grouping 5" patterns @ 200 yards.

We exchanged Numbers and hopefully I'll have another cast boolit friend.

Geezer in NH
12-06-2016, 11:26 AM
:goodpost::awesome:

white eagle
12-06-2016, 11:49 AM
way to go
its a good thing to have may friends

LAKEMASTER
12-06-2016, 01:26 PM
I have about 60 rounds ready to try this weekend. And 200 factory miltary rounds. I almost cringe thinking about shooting them. My unique loads are lovely to shoot

centershot
12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Lakemaster, if your rifle is anything like mine ('06) you don't want to mix cast & jacketed in the same range session. After shooting jacketed rounds my gun requires a thorough cleaning and then I need to shoot 40-50 rounds of cast loads to "condition" the bore before it will shoot tight groups. It behaves just like a .22 RF match rifle, gotta' shoot a box thru it after a good cleaning!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the Ed Harris type loads. 13 grains of Red Dot under a Lee 170 shoots 3-5" at 200, depending on the day and shooter, out of my 30-06. I haven't scrubbed the bore in several years per advice I got on this forum, maybe just a lubed patch every now and again.

TCLouis
12-06-2016, 08:48 PM
I put close to a thousand 7mm Soupcans thru my Husky 7mm Mag a couple of winters ago.
No shot over 110 yards though.
I ran a rough wool dry patch (old sock) every hundred rounds or so and it just kept shooting to POA.

LAKEMASTER
12-06-2016, 11:14 PM
I had no idea.... I've been scrubbing My barrel for days trying to get it cleaned. A month ago i was depressed when i started to notice that things barrel was pitted. Started looking for barrel... Then i ran swab through it with marvel mystery oil and it came out black . i scrubbed and scrubbed until it was mostly cleaned.

75 rounds later it was dirty again

NoAngel
12-06-2016, 11:41 PM
All ammo is dirty, some more than others but ALL of it.

It's absolutely silly to me to clean a bore that shoots well. Most rifles will 'settle in' a little after several rounds and then start shooting well. Most rifles will not shoot their best on a spotless bore. Not in my experience. I have a short list for reasons to clean a bore. Accuracy sucks, been out in the rain, & corrosive salts. I never clean a bore that shoots well otherwise.

Texas by God
12-07-2016, 12:33 AM
I agree with No Angel 100%. I ran a patch of Hoppe's through my .22-250 (12yrs ago) and my 25-06 (8yrs ago) to remove the factory oil and I've not cleaned them since. They both shoot half MOA often enough to leave them alone. Best, Thomas.

runfiverun
12-07-2016, 02:40 AM
I'm not too big on barrel cleaning either.
if I pick up a used rifle or something then I scrub it down.
but don't touch them unless accuracy starts going south. [jacketed too]

centershot
12-07-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm not too big on barrel cleaning either.
if I pick up a used rifle or something then I scrub it down.
but don't touch them unless accuracy starts going south. [jacketed too]

YES!!! Exactly this! I learned this long ago when I began shooting in Smallbore and Hi-Power competition, if it's shooting good don't mess with it!

jmden
12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
As long as its shooting well, don't clean unless there's other reasons to do so...

skeettx
12-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Yes, I clean at the end of a session and then lightly oil the bore for storage
Mike

RP
12-07-2016, 11:12 PM
I boys both had a rifle that would cut holes until they cleaned the barrel 4 to 5 shots later it would be back to cutting holes. Since then they just run a patch to clean it up and for storage they run a lite oiled batch.

MT Gianni
12-08-2016, 12:19 AM
I clean barrels when the groups show me I need to.

shoot-n-lead
12-08-2016, 12:32 AM
I think about my old 30/30's...if the barrels were cleaned, might be able to see daylight shining through into the bore...but they will still put a bullet in the same place as they always have...provided I do my part, so I ain't messing with them.

35 shooter
12-08-2016, 01:36 AM
I think the suggestion on cleaning started in post #5. He was talking about cleaning after shooting jacketed before shooting lead again.

I always used to clean copper fouling out before shooting cast again.
All i shoot is cast now in rifle and handgun, so just an occasional patch is all now, unless their stored away for a length of time or used on a rainy day
hunting.
They get one atf oil patch run through then, followed by a dry patch before shooting again. Works just fine with the lubes i use as long as i don't deep clean.