PDA

View Full Version : Problem, ordered one mold, got another

Meatco1
06-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi Guys:

Need a little advise here!!

I ordered a Lyman 4 cavity 452460, and received a Lyman 4 cavity 452630. Now, I don't know if I should keep what was sent, or send it back and get what I ordered...

This mold will be used for a couple of tactical, customized, series 70 Colt .45 acp. They both have no problem feeding SWC, and are extremely accurate. However, I’ve never fed them any #452630

So, how do these BB shoot?

Thanks,

Richard

ANeat
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Richard both are good bullets. How do you lube/size, will the bevel base be OK with that?

My gut feeling would be send it back just because its not what you originally ordered, but in all honesty as far as shooting there probably wouldnt be any difference.

Meatco1
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Hello Adam:

I have a Lube-A-Matic, with a .452 sizer/top punch for the .452, or I can pan lube. My concern is the bevel base on the 452630. I don't think I've ever shot any BB before, and don't know if they will be as accurate as normal flat base bullets.

Thanks,

Richard

IcerUSA
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Some pistols like em some not , only your pistol will tell but for the money you should have recieved what you ordered .

Keith

Dale53
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
This bullet, 452630 is kind of a clone of the H&G #68 (some rather minor differences). I have had excellent results with both the H&G and Saeco versions (both of mine are bevel based).

I have a Star sizer so cannot remark on sizing with the bevel base (with the Star it makes no difference).

I think that you could use either bullet equally well. I MUCH prefer a single grease groove.

Dale53

Meatco1
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for the responses!

After thinking about it last night, I came to the conclusion that I did not want to fight lubing a bevel base with my LAM.

I called Midsouth this am, and they bent over backwards to correct this error. Issued a call ticket, and will ship out the correct mold when they arrive.

Thank you,

Richard

Scrounger
06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Just went through a similar episode. Someone on Greybeard's advertised a six cavity SAECO mold- .452-155-SWC- with handles for $65. I didn't need it but the price was too good to pass up. When it arrived, imagine my shock when it turned out to be a Lee! Worked out OK in the end, the seller refunded part of the money so I can sell the mold or trade it for something I want.

ANeat
06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I havent seen any accuracy difference in 1911's between bevel and flat base. I shot a lot of Star swaged SWC that had a fairly heavy bevel base and they were very accurate even at 50 yards.

I shoot a Ballisti-Cast H&G 68 now with a slight bevel base and it is also very accurate.

Like Dale I use a Star sizer and only use single lube groove bullets.

I think with the Lyman sizer you will be happier with the flat base bullet.