PDA

View Full Version : 530 grain .54 boolit????

paraord
12-05-2016, 10:22 PM
So I'm thumbing through my renegade manual and I look at the load data for other stuff, not roundball.
And see my 400+ grain maxi ball, which I'm gonna assume is a thumper. But then I see a section on 525-530 grain lead bullets. What on earth is this, where can I get it, and is there a mould?
For no other reason that to try it, if only once haha.
Figured this would be the best place where someone might know.

Thanks guys,
Andrew

johnson1942
12-05-2016, 11:18 PM
dont know where you can get it but it wont kick as much as you would think.your bigger diam bore allows more gas out at a time with less recoil. dont go over 80 grains and it will be fun to shoot.

Omnivore
12-06-2016, 03:50 AM
Accurate Molds has a few in the 500 grain range. Here's one example, from his on-line catalog, page 16;
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-500T-D.png

Or you can submit your own design, or work with him to come up with one, and have it made for the same price as anything already in the catalog. It'd probably make a good moose bullet, or whale. If someone ever clones a velociraptor, and they get loose and multiply in the wild, you can use it on those.

Omnivore
12-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Oh wait; you said 54 caliber. Here's one, from page 17;
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=55-535B-D.png

Change the design any which way you want, and he'll make it for you, or order from the existing catalog, and still you specify your drive band diameters. Being able to custom order is great if you know what you want, but it sucks if you're experimenting and end up ordering several molds before you get it right, because that can get expensive. And time consuming.

ShooterAZ
12-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I have this one, and it's a winner in my .54 1/48 twist Deerstalker. I use it with 85 grains of Goex 2F. Very accurate combo.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=55-430M-D.png

54bore
12-06-2016, 10:44 AM
In .54 Cal, Thompson Center lists 3 different weights for Maxi Balls, and 3 different weights for Maxi Hunters, they list the heaviest Maxi Ball at 530 Grains, and the Heaviest Maxi Hunter at 540 grains. To find these particular molds would be an accident (if they even produced them? Lyman and ohaus made their molds) I have 5 Different TC molds in 54 Cal, 3 Maxi Balls, and 2 Maxi Hunters. The Heaviest i have is one of my Maxi Hunters, it drops bullets at 460 grains. All 5 of my TC 54 Cal molds are configured differently, instead of the same shape but different weights. They changed designs along the line. If you are looking for one in particular, Good luck! They can be tricky to find. Be WAAAAY easier to buy a good mold from Accuratemolds, plus these old TC molds can bring a premium, especially in .54 Cal

jdfoxinc
12-09-2016, 04:32 PM
T/C quit making all .54 gr muzzleloading bullets. I make maxi Hunter and maxi ball style bullets. NEI Handtools mold for maxi ball if I remember 535gr. I designed and had ballisti cast make (just before buyout) a maxi hunter mold in 430gr. I have to drill the hollow point after casting. $0.75 ea maxi ball. $0.95 ea maxi Hunter.

729-238-7623

dbowling
12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
look up no excuse conicals and order some from Dave, cheap and shoot great.Also check out Bull Shop conicals believe they can pout 54 conicals if you ask.