PDA

View Full Version : Had a good hunt yesterday

Thumbcocker
12-05-2016, 09:15 PM
I hunted Thursday morning and afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon and took Saturday. Sunday at 5 when the alarm went off it was raining steadily. By 1:30 p.m. it was a steady drizzle and 42 degrees. I told Mrs. Thumbcocker that I was going to try a few hours of hunting in our woods. Layered in poly pro and wool with orange highlights I headed out the back door. I have had luck in the past hunting in drizzle; the only time I have ever been able to sneak up on deer.

I was easing down the field road that we mow all summer when I saw a deer moving across the field toward our woods. I knew he crossed there from his tracks and scrape lines but usually at night. He was heading north, the wind was from the west and I circled wide to come in from the east. I knew that there was a well used trail hugging the base of the hills inside our woods and hoped he would go north and not south. I eased toward the trail keeping the hill between me and where the deer went into the woods. Take 3 steps stop and look three more steps stop and so on. I finally saw him coming down the trail heading north. He looked my way and I gave one soft grunt on the tube. He looked at me licked his nose and stared. I eased the zipper of my jacket open when he looked away for a second. and eased out the Bisley .44 special. His vitals were behind a tree so we waited each other out. Finally he stepped out to where his shoulder was visible and I eased back the hammer and squeezed off the shot.

I am the 7th generation on this land. Many folks talk a bout the joy of hunting new ground and I do love the high desert in those big square states but this is home. We always find something new on this same old ground. Chanterelle mushrooms this fall, a new ginseng plant, the tree the pileated wood pecker likes, once in a while an arrow head to remind us that we just get the use of this ground. Old places showing us new faces. The ground gives us wood for heat, farm rent, venison, recreation, and a cathedral that beats anything made by man. At least that is what we see. Others see clay hills, fair farm ground and some woods that won't make timber for another generation. I guess it is perspective. I have had wrens land on the window of my ground blind, squirrels come down the tree and feel my head with their paws, and turkeys always able to spot me no matter how well I cammo up.

Oh yes back to the shot. Clean miss. I stood too long with the pistol extended and pulled low. No blood, no hair, nothing. I had a great hunt. I think you will all know why it was great.

brown bass hunter
12-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Great story

telebasher
12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
I've always said, hunting is not about killing but rather about living.

white eagle
12-05-2016, 11:30 PM
A hunters tale
yes sir we know why it was great
thanks for the tale

skeettx
12-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Yes, they call it HUNTING and not GETTING
Well done
Mike

w5pv
12-06-2016, 07:18 AM
Most relaxing activity along with fishing that I know of.

Hickory
12-06-2016, 07:53 AM
I like hearing people tell their stories of their hunts, this is one of the best!

chsparkman
12-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Good story. Yes, hunting is much more than killing game.

ammohead
12-06-2016, 07:57 AM
A hunter and conservationist's insight for sure. Thank you.

Ole Joe Clarke
12-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Great story. I remember reading something by Ted Trueblood many years ago about hunting, and the title of this particular piece was something along the lines of: "I don't really need a deer." It really is the joy of the hunt or the fishing trip.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Nazgul
12-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Great story,

I played cat and mouse with a buck last year. He was on one side of a steep gulley, I was on the other.

I would grunt, he would look and then browse. It was a shot that was at the edge of my comfort level. Drew down on him 4 times, never felt good enough to shoot.

When he left, it had been 55 minutes by my watch,

Feel I got my moneys worth that day.

Don

Bulldogger
12-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Good true words. Thank-you for sharing that story. I miss the country once again.
BDGR

DougGuy
12-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Great story thanks for sharing! Yeah there is a LOT more to it than pulling the trigger with hair in the sights. Some people will never "get it" because somehow they got shorted along the way. Their gene pool didn't have any jeans in it or something I dunno...

GhostHawk
12-06-2016, 09:29 AM
I see it the way you do thumbcocker. Especially the cathedral part.
I have always felt closer to him in the wild.

And every hunt is a good hunt, even if you do not get a deer.
Sometimes just the chase is enough.

Good post, good story. Thank you for sharing.

35Whelen
12-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Thumbcocker...you had me right there beside you on your hunt...thanks

Boolseye
12-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Great story, well told. Thanks.

CITYREPO61
12-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Awsome tale. Thanks!

rking22
12-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Great hunting story! That's what hunting is about, and very often the best memories are from a shot not taken (or connected). As others have said, that's why they call it hunting. Besides there's always tomorrow:)
I was right there beside you, well told. I too understand your love of the land. I live on the same farm that my family settled on when they first came to Tennessee some 220 years ago! I sometimes feel the spirits of my ancestors when sitting in the "big woods", especially as the shadows lengthen and the sun sets. I hope our offspring continue the tradition.

twc1964
12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
nice story bud. You paint a very good mental picture.

nagantguy
12-06-2016, 05:33 PM
We look at our land as you do, we are it's temporary care taker, it's owned free and clear and when it goes to my daughter she'll get it in better shape than we did! The hunt sounds perfect to me and just the way my year has gone, deer 2 me nothing! Loved every minute of it!

Texas by God
12-06-2016, 07:08 PM
A great hunt well told. Thank you Thumbcocker. I always talk to the Boss when I'm out on the land. Best, Thomas.

Wolfer
12-06-2016, 07:58 PM
I am picking up what your laying down!

TCLouis
12-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Thumbcocker

AND . . . THAT is why we hunt, killing something is just a little icing on the cake of living fully enjoying the land.

Congrats on not making vittles with a 44 special too.

Sometime we just don't pull it all off.

smokeater
12-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Now that was a wonderful story and rich beyond measure. A man enjoying the treasure before him.

claude
12-09-2016, 04:54 AM
I always talk to the Boss when I'm out on the land.

Yes indeed!

Jayhawkhuntclub
12-17-2016, 10:19 AM
Thumbcocker, Nice story with a surprise ending. I guess I won't give you a hard time for not posting a pic. :mrgreen: Sounds like you had a good time though.

HiVelocity
12-18-2016, 03:37 PM
We need more stories like this.........really. There are many of us who cast and reload who never have, or rarely have, an opportunity to enjoy anything like what was described by Thumbcocker.

I wouldn't know what to do first, if ever we met, laugh with you for missing the buck, or shake your hand for the story and the way you described everything; or both. None the less, "Great Job", sir.

HV

smoked turkey
12-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Thumbcocker I have read many hunting stories in my day. Yours is one of the best. It truly brings it all together into what our favorite activity should be about. I totally enjoyed it and I read it to the boss lady here and I have reread it again. Thanks for sharing your successful hunt wit us.

castalott
12-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Good story.... Many think along these lines and only 'bait' the hook if the freezer is low on fish....

It's not the destination but the journey.....

TCLouis
12-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Miss or not, we still want load data.

Might give us some ideas of something new to try.

Hamish
12-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Thumb,

Beautiful post. Thank you.

RP
12-31-2016, 11:26 PM
Great story thanks for sharing most just want to hear the ones where they got the big buck or even the doe. I was hunting off the beaten path getting as far away from the other guys as I could had deer walking around me but it was just to thick to really see anything. Then when I spotted a patch of brown fur easing threw the woods I knew it had to be a buck the way it was moving. My heart speed up as I scan ahead for a clearing for a shot. I pick what looked like the best spot and aimed, in just a few the nice 8 point buck head appeared in my cross hairs and stood still for a good bit. All I could see was his head then he took another step giving me a nice kill shot. But it gave me time to think and really look him over and enjoy the sight. One more step and my shot was gone and he was on his way I did not want to take the deer just to having something to show off and as soon as you shoot them they dont grow any bigger. I to had a great day hunting and when I got home the wife asked did I get one and me telling her the story was alot better then me cleaning the deer. Dang am I getting old or growing up say its not true lol.