PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning barrel when changing lubes

relic
12-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Im working up some 25-20 loads, specificately 85 gr RCBS from a mold I had the lube grooves reduced by half. Do you guys deep clean your barrel when you switch lubes? Im trying LBT blue soft and LLA. Just wondering if I should really clean the barrel between lubes while testing. Just had a old model Marlin 94 re-lined with a 1-10 twist liner. Sounds like some of you have had good results with the 1-10 twist so I"ll try it. My main problem is have too many molds. I need to just stick with one boolit and load and stop changing things until I get results, then move on.

GhostHawk
12-05-2016, 11:16 PM
I like a patch dampened with ATF mine happens to be Dextron III but I suspect they are all pretty close. For cleaning I actually like it better than Hoppes.

Followed by a dry patch or 2 and move to the next batch.

But I don't change lubes near as often now, BLL on everything.

35 shooter
12-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Agree with GhostHawk, it's a good idea to swab between lubes, as some of them don't play well together. It just gives each lube a chance to show what it can do on it's own.

Just be aware that after swabbing it may take a shot or 2 for the new lube to "settle down".

Like Ghost, i use the atf oil with one wet patch and then one dry patch.
I also use BLL on everything now since the formula came out because it's quick, easy, and just plain works.

I know Ben's Red and r5r's Simple lube work with the atf trick if your hunting with a clean bbl. Again...one wet followed by one dry patch and go hunting,,,works for me, but pays to experiment with each new rifle.

relic
12-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. Lots of variables when working up loads. Sounds like I don't have to do a really deep clean, just a patch or two to soften and pull the old lube out of the barrel. I like this 1-10 twist barrel, I don't seem to get the first round flyers like the 1-14. Maybe my imagination but after I get a few more rounds down range we will see. It is a new re-line job so I probably need a few more rounds thru it.

Scharfschuetze
12-07-2016, 01:13 AM
If I ever changed lubes, I would certainly clean between lube types and then fire a few fouling shots before getting serious again.

I've used the NRA formula (50/50 ALOX-Bees Wax) for so long that I just keep using it with perfect success.

44man
12-07-2016, 12:38 PM
I never do. Just change lubes.

ironhead7544
12-11-2016, 02:36 AM
I have noticed that some lubes only "like" their own fouling. It sometimes takes 5 or six shots to condition the bore.

I have noticed the same thing with some powders.