PDA

View Full Version : Razor Sharpening Stones, Grits?

PbHurler
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I could use a little advise from those of you that use / maintain straight razors.

I have a couple in rotation that are pulling, and stropping just doesn't seem to refine the edge(s) enough.

Regarding wet stones, what grits are you using to resharpen your razors prior to stropping?

Also, what brand of stones do you recommend?

Thanks,

Ballistics in Scotland
12-05-2016, 02:34 PM
That's a complicated subject, but this is definitely the place to get information:

http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

Good razor stones are expensive, and although eBay can be a good place to buy one, make sure it checks out, well enough to justify a misdescription case, against what that website recommends. Hones described as good for knife, chisel and razor - and I've seen axe added too - simply can't be. Beware of used ones, for although some may be excellent, it doesn't matter whether it was the best razor hone in the world, if it no longer is. A curved surface can be trued up, but it probably requires more time, trouble and investment than it is worth to the one-time operator.

Friends call me Pac
12-05-2016, 03:05 PM
I use two things to resharpen my razor. 1st I have a square glass bottle that I use to get the edge back into shape. I then use Japanese water stone to put the finishing touch on the razor. I believe the grit is 900 on one side & 1200 on the other side.

Want to share how I started using a straight razor. One day I was complaining about the cost of blades and jokingly told my wife she should buy a razor for me for Christmas. When I opened the present and saw an actual straight razor I was surprised. I thought she knew I was kidding. I had no clue where to start so I found the web site listed above and learned a lot from there. From reading your thread you say the razor is pulling so I'm taking that as you are already shaving with it. Don't let that stop you from checking out that web site. They have some in depth reading about sharpening.

C.F.Plinker
12-05-2016, 03:07 PM
My maintenance program is to do 50 laps on a leather strop after every shave. After 50 shaves I get out the balsa strop and do 30 laps with a 0.3 micron chromium oxide powder, flip the balsa strop over and do another 30 laps with a 0.1 micron iron oxide powder.

So far this has kept my razors going without the necessity to actually use a stone. When that becomes necessary I will start with 50 strokes on each side if the blade using a 12,000 grit water stone followed by the 30/30 laps on the basla strop. I did ding one blade by hitting it against the sink bowl once while shaking it off. That ding was noticeable so I went back to a 1000 grit water stone until I could no longer see it. That was followed by a 6000 grit water stone until the flats of the edge were mirror smooth. Then I fininshed with the 12,000 grit stone and the balsa strop. Remember that the edge leads when using a stone and trails when using either a balsa or leather strop. Unless you are using a glass or diamond stone you may have to flatten the stone.

I have bought severa razors from Whippeddog.com. They all came ready to use. He charges $18 to hone most razors and mail it back to you. His Poor Mans Strop kit is $25 and includes a short strop (2 foot) and the balsa strop with both kinds of powder. You might consider having him sharpen one of your razors and getting either the strop kit or just the balsa strop ($10). The 10x3 stones get expensive in a hurry and there is a learning curve for them. You can have someone hone you razors more than a few times for the cost of just one good stone.

Hawgsquatch
12-05-2016, 03:12 PM
lots of information on the badger and blade forums.

farmerjim
12-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Mine is a 9000 grit.

Wheelgun
12-05-2016, 03:34 PM
This is the video that I learned to refreshen my razor from. Works very well and pretty quick. He's the owner of Straight Razor Designs and IMHO has some very good products and videos. I have a 9k and 12k stone. Hope this helps

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28_o9N2qqUg

Traffer
12-05-2016, 04:27 PM
I don't use a straight razor but as for fine stones: You can get them on eBay from China. Just make sure you read exactly how big they are. Some are pretty small. That being said I get these.http://www.ebay.com/itm/10000-3000-Grit-Sharpening-stone-Razor-Whetstone-Polishing-for-Sharpening-Knives-/291953224285?hash=item43f9c4aa5d:g:yv8AAOSwImRYN9t Y

They work great. These are 100mm long which is just under 4 inches long. That is a little short but you get the hang of using them pretty quick. This is a pic of my finger which I cut with an ice chisel blade after sharpening with the 3000grit stone of which I speak.

Blackwater
12-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Sharpening a razor is a subject of much disagreement. Much of this is simply due to each person's beard being an individual thing. And skills of each person varies as well. The sharper and smoother you get a razor, the easier it is to cut yourself. With a REALLY sharp razor, you'll never feel it until the blood starts flowing.

So really, the only "best way" to find out what works best for you, is to try a number of stones and strops, and pick what works for YOU. All else is just opinion, and useful info to start with. In the end, all any of us really can or needs to do, is just find out what works for us and OUR beards. What works for others may not be the right recipe for us. Then again, you gotta' have a place to start, and it's probably not a bad place to start with some of the cheaper stones, and refine your search incrementally with the more expensive ones.

And also, each person's talent at getting a razor edge varies as well, even when using the same equipment, so .... again, ya' pays yer monies an' takes yer choices, and then ya' find out if it works for you or not. The only really crucial part is that it works for YOU.

M-Tecs
12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
I don't use a straight razor but I sharpen some for a family member. Before stropping I use 6,000 grit http://www.nihonzashi.com/water_stones.aspx#6000_Grit_Deluxe_Finish_Stone

silverjay
12-05-2016, 10:02 PM
I use Naniwa super stones in 5,000, 8,000, 10,000, and 12,000. Last stone is a Shapton 15,000.

Razors dont see see the stones very often. Stropping every day and extra on the weekends keeps them in good shape for months. How often dep nds on grind and steel more than anything for me. I like British flat grinds, but they don't hold an edge as well as German hollow grinds.

PbHurler
12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I have watched Lynn Abrams' videos before and learned a lot. I've been reading the forum that BiS linked (thanks) and I've determined I need to read some more before jumping off into this.

Read a thread which showed a butchered razor, and I'd wish to not duplicate.

I've refreshed the two razors that were in question with fresh crom-ox on linen strop & finished on the leather, so I'll see if that brought them along.

Four of my six razors are old, and I'd love to keep them in use, but I'd hate to ruin them by being hasty. One is an extra hollow ground Sheffield, one is Giesen & Forsthoff (Solingen). Another that could use a little tlc is a J.A. Henckels Twin Works 50 (Solingen)

I bought these over many years and enjoy using them & the "rituals" involved. In the same vein as to the reasons we cast our own; I'd like to be able to re-hone my razors myself, but there is a flair to it like all things.

Thank you for the links provided.

g17
12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Use some newspaper and strop your razor. Do a search for videos showing how. Provided you have a fairly good edge on the blade already, this will make it like butter.

Traffer
12-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Or you can do like me and stop shaving. I love not shaving. I wish I woulda quit a long time ago. Not even a trim. The way man was meant to be.

PbHurler
12-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Traffer,

I wear a full beard, have had one the last 37 years. I only need to address my cheeks & neck so it's not too much of a chore.

I guess, for me, it's really more about keeping the "old ways" alive. Same reason I carry a pocket watch in lieu of a wrist watch. :cool:

smokeywolf
12-06-2016, 05:47 AM
PbHurler, I use a straight razor pretty regularly. I do not recommend chinese stones. Japanese stones are good. In addition to 5,000, 8,000 and 12,000 grit stones, you need a diamond stone that is about 600 grit more/less to keep the ceramic stones flat.
I rotate thru 7 different straight razors and use 4 different diamond stones, 5 ceramics and a black hard Arkansas to refine the edges. Also have two leather/canvas strops and a balsa strop.
Top brands of stones are Shapton, Naniwa and Norton.

If you're reluctant to spend the money on stones/hones, I suggest you send your razors out to a "honemeister". There are good ones to be found on badgerandblade.com
Once your razors have been sharpened by a pro, stropping should keep them good for several months.

EMC45
12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
SRP is a great site with tons of info and a bunch of gun folks too. I sharpen my razors with standard Arkansas stones. I strop with jeweler's rouge and then plain leather. I like to view my edge under about 100 power microscope to see progress. My last stone I finish the rotation with is very smooth. Not sure of the grit, but it reflects light. I go through 3 stones then I move on to pasted leather and then to plain leather. I test by bumping hairs from my wife's brush against the blade. If they "pop" it most likely is shave ready.

Char-Gar
12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
I used a straight razor for many years and kept it sharpened with two different stones, both worked well. When I bought my first razor in 1964 I also bought a "Razor Hone", which was smooth as glass black stone from Belgium. I later acquired a very hard "surgical" Arkansas stone that was pure white and also smooth as glass.

The razor was honed every four or five shaves, and kept sharp with the strop between times on the hone. The razor is hollow ground and laid flat on the hone and the cutting edge is pushed across the stone. The blade is then turned over the the edge is pulled toward you.

The real secret about a straight razor is never let it get dull. Hone and/or strop on a regular basis BEFORE it gets dull.