PDA

View Full Version : .32 Traditions Crockett rifle

54bore
12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Who has one of these, and opinions on them? I bought a little TC Seneca recently and gotta say i REALLY enjoy it!! I have the .36 Cal barrel, and the .45 barrel for my Seneca, i would like to find a nice little TC Cherokee in .32 but they must be laced in gold by the prices i see them for! The pictures ive seen of the little Traditions Crockett rifle look really good, i would like to handle one before buying. Any info and opinions are appreciated

wild thing
12-05-2016, 03:33 PM
I have the crockett ,love it. 311 round ball and 20 grains of fff swiss powder and it's lights out for mr.squirrel. Fun to shoot , easy on lead and powder. John

rodwha
12-05-2016, 03:45 PM
How is it with regards to needing swabbing? I've also been wanting a small caliber small game rifle and this is the only reasonably priced rifle. But I often hear how finicky a .31 is.

I'd much prefer a .36 or even a .40 but the price just doubled. These larger calibers would also fight wind drift better and add thump for something bigger like coyote. But then Accurate Molds can make a conical I figure...

Squeeze
12-05-2016, 04:35 PM
I have a bunch of .32. They are no more finicky than anything else roundball shooters. It CAN get a bit tight if you use too big a patch for swabbing. use 1-1/4" swabs and they wont bunch up and stick. Lots of fun, plenty accurate, you get lots of balls per pound of lead, and lots of shots from a pound of powder. all the typical patched roundball rules apply.

wild thing
12-05-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't swab between shots. I chew patches . When I load one shot I put a new patch in my mouth until I need to load again. I can shoot all day long with out loss of accuracy and it loads as easy on 9 or 10 the shot as on first one. John

mooman76
12-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Mine seems to be a little finicky. I think it really comes down to how you load. I hear they are finicky and also hear they aren't I don't have to swab with my other guns so it would seem that something about the way I load. If I don't swab every 3rd shot accuracy goes south for me. Maybe it's the lube I use.

Fly
12-05-2016, 07:47 PM
I love my Crockett also. Hit,s were you point. Great small game rifle.

Fly

54bore
12-06-2016, 07:37 AM
How does the little Crockett rifle feel compared to say a TC Seneca, or Cherokee? Thompson Center is the only sidelock i have experience with

rfd
12-06-2016, 08:00 AM
i only prefer flintlocks but bought a crockett kit that was on sale for dirt cheap, fun little popper, cast up with lee .311 balls, 20 grains of swiss 3f, .010" patch strip, replaced the silly aluminum ramrod with one i made from hickory, almost zero recoil, no real fouling issues, very accurate, a fine skwerl gun. sold it off right quick. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdwiCpxManQ

54bore
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
How come you sold it rfd?

rfd
12-06-2016, 11:35 AM
i just don't like cap locks, CRAZY about flintrocks. iirc, that crockett kit cost me $250 and i was up for another build. one of my buds at the range was gonna buy it after i built it, so i didn't lose or make any dollar$ and everyone was a happy camper.

the kit went together well, no issues, with the typical offshore patent breech (this is a traditions gun made in spain - so IF there is ever a need to pull the breech or bolster you ain't gonna do it without boogering the barrel ... and traditions tells ya that, - this is the achiles heel of spanish trad ml's), but nice barrel, good d/s trigger, lock worked fine, nothing to complain about and she's a shooter. if yer into cap locks and want a little skwerl gun, this is the one to get, for sure.

i sure wish it came as a flintlock ... probably could "backwards" convert though :)

http://i.imgur.com/i77wUbW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kEuQTuR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/otWFfIG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FQpQQQD.jpg

54bore
12-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Thank you rfd, I really like the little video of you shooting the Crockett! And the pictures, sure is a fine looking little rifle!! I GOTTA have one!! I feel my life would be incomplete without one LOL! My wife will totally understand when i explain that last part

rfd
12-06-2016, 02:41 PM
you can see the orange anodized aluminum rod that comes with the gun in the pics below ... heresy! wood rods only! :)

http://i.imgur.com/kMH8lP4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1SH7kTM.jpg

enfield
12-06-2016, 09:52 PM
The used one I got came with the same rod, bad thing is they don't reach all the way to the bottom. I think that's why mine has a rough spot close to the breach when I run a patch down ( I suspect it pitted ? ). other than that it shoots good and is a lotta fun.

rfd
12-06-2016, 10:42 PM
don't forget that like almost all the other offshore production trad ml's it's got a patent breech, so a patched jag won't clean out the ante-chamber, takes a small brush with a patch to clean it out thoroughly or bad things will happen.

True.grit
12-11-2016, 12:39 AM
I love mine.Shot a match with it last month. I use a .315 RB with a 15 thousandth patch. Shot 25 rounds with no wiping at all. 3 f Swiss 15 gr. It will shoot the center out of a playing card at 25yrds all day long. The only problem that is a minor inconvenience is the nipple clearance is close and requires a small nipple wrench. Great shooter to own.

rfd
12-11-2016, 08:10 AM
The used one I got came with the same rod, bad thing is they don't reach all the way to the bottom. I think that's why mine has a rough spot close to the breach when I run a patch down ( I suspect it pitted ? ). other than that it shoots good and is a lotta fun.

yep. besides being aluminum, the stock rod is too short. another reason to make up a good wood rod. i have a jig i made that allows me to add an end tenon to dowels that are as long as 48", so i can epoxy on brass ferrule caps w/internal threads for jags, scrapers, brushes, worms. after the gluing, i drill in a 1/16" hole cross-grain about midway on the ferrul, chamfer/crater the hole ends with a 3/16" bit, tap in brass brad and clip its ends proud of the ferrule, then mushroom those ends into the chamfers with a hammer on an anvil or vise. a few swipes with a fine file levels the pin ends into the ferrule. makes sure the ferrules ain't coming loose.

jjarrell
12-13-2016, 04:19 PM
I would love to have a .32. I have the Seneca in .36. Those little 65gr balls are potent medicine for squirrels. And with Maxi-Balls I hog, and yote hunt with it in the summer months. Yotes don't even flinch when it smacks 'em. I don't go after the big tuskers with it, mostly under 125lbs. Don't underestimate the 'lil feller though. With 128gr maxis, over 60gr of Olde Eynsford 3f, it shoots every bit as hard as my .30-30 to 70 yards or so.

54bore
12-13-2016, 11:21 PM
No under estimating the .36 Cal here! I was shocked at the muzzle report from my little Seneca the first time i shot it, 40 Grains of Swiss 2F with a 140 grain paper patched and sized Wad cutter, i would compare the sound to a .357 Magnum, there abouts. I cant wait to get out and try these Hornady Buckshot Round Balls, i also have a Maxi ball mold for 36, and a 125 grain 357 bullet i plan to paper patch and size, i also got a pound of Swiss 3F just for my Seneca. The weather here lately has been less than enjoyable to shoot, its 8 degrees here right now, suppose to get down around 0 tonight. I will likely get bored enough to go play anyway! LOL

54bore
12-14-2016, 01:55 AM
I have a like new 12 Gauge Benelli Nova pump shotgun in the classified section here that i would trade for a for a really nice little .32 Cal, My other want is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter (fast twist) in .54 Cal. If anyone is looking for a nice pump shotgun this Benelli Nova is a dandy! 3 1/2" Chamber, i bought a kicks xtra full turkey tube for it thinking i would turkey hunt with it, but never have, the Tube alone was 50 bucks. It comes with the stock benelli choke tubes, Full, Mod, and Cylinder i believe? This gun has no more than a box of shells through it, they are 500 or a little more new.

reloader4410
12-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Back when I was shooting 32 & 36 I used a felt wad over powder then a patched round ball worked good no cleaning between shots for a 10 shot string. Happy Trails.

Hanshi
12-18-2016, 12:55 PM
I owned and hunted with a Crockett for more than 12 years. That little rifle took squirrels like nobody's business. My normal load was 30 grains of 3F, a .016" patch lubed with Hoppes #9 BP lube and a home cast .311" ball. With 20 grains of powder the accuracy was about the same. It was no more difficult to load/clean than any of my large caliber rifles. With Hoppes as my lube I could shoot dozens of rounds and never had to swab the bore. In fact, swabbing the bore often leads to misfires; so the load I used kept the bore cleaner with only the fouling of one shot through an entire day. I cleaned it the same as any other BP gun and never had any problem with the patent breech. I bought this Crockett far enough back that it came with a wood rod and that's all I used in the woods. I still have that little rod.

That little rifle was accurate, too. It is capable of sub 1" groups up to around 50 yards or so, maybe farther. The only reason I finally sold it was to get a .32 flint rifle; I'm strictly a flintlock hunter, now.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/604fd578-a0ee-401f-8fe5-ebfd5055922b_zpse92be405.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/604fd578-a0ee-401f-8fe5-ebfd5055922b_zpse92be405.jpg.html)

SSGOldfart
12-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Nice rifle have you regretted selling that one you sounded like you were attached to it pretty good.
32 caliber is next on my wish list.

54bore
12-18-2016, 01:48 PM
I gotta get one of these little rifles! For no other reason than to have fun with it! I just seen a 1" Green mountain .32 Cal drop in barrel for a Renegade or Hawken on ebay, it might have ended by now? Anyway the last i looked it was right at 300.00 bucks for the barrel. That would have to be one HEAVY barrel

scooterdavr56
01-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Who has one of these, and opinions on them? I bought a little TC Seneca recently and gotta say i REALLY enjoy it!! I have the .36 Cal barrel, and the .45 barrel for my Seneca, i would like to find a nice little TC Cherokee in .32 but they must be laced in gold by the prices i see them for! The pictures ive seen of the little Traditions Crockett rifle look really good, i would like to handle one before buying. Any info and opinions are appreciated
My best friend has a .32 Crockett rifle and loves it. I am on my 2nd and 3rd Seneca (ex wife got the first one. ..). I love the Senecas. I believe the reason for the high prices are good quality of the T/C guns and the lack of availability of them. The Seneca hasn't been made since about 1987 or 1988 when the factory burned. I hope this helps you with your decision on which direction to go, I stay with the Senecas even through the higher prices because I like how they feel and how the shoot. If you check with the custom barrel makers you should be able to find a .32 caliber barrel for the Seneca.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

leveraction 45 colt
01-04-2017, 11:03 PM
can I get a slow twist for roundballs in the 32's??

mooman76
01-04-2017, 11:49 PM
They usually come in a slow twist. 1-48 is the usual or 32 and that is slow for that caliber. Larger the caliber, the less twist is needed, just like smaller needs a more twist.

shdwlkr
01-05-2017, 12:26 PM
when tc was making the .32 caliber it was a 1 in 30 twist which seemed to be good.

pupsdad
01-06-2017, 12:40 AM
There's a Crockett in swapping and selling right now.

Newtire
01-07-2017, 08:38 AM
I bought one and had a problem that caused occasional misfires. Turned out to be a matter of grinding off a small amount of metal on the back side of the hammer that was stopping the hammer from coming all the way down. It was hitting on the top of the lock-plate.

Brought the wrong powder but first shot out of gun with no sight adjustment took out the X dead center at 25 yards. Using 15 gr. 2F triple 7 ("wrong) powder") .310" ball and .015" Wonder-lubed patch. 2 more shots were right around 3/4" at that short range. When weather warms up, will make time for a range day and try some 50 yd. shooting.

The bore on that rifle is smooth as glass inside and finish on outside is about the nicest blue ever. Maybe not too authentic in that regard but real pretty! I won't be selling mine.

54bore
01-07-2017, 11:32 AM
There's a Crockett in swapping and selling right now.

I just looked at it, you could buy a brand new Crockett rifle for what the guy is asking for his used, and missing a ramrod.

Newtire
01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
I just looked at it, you could buy a brand new Crockett rifle for what the guy is asking for his used, and missing a ramrod.
Yeah,that is true.He's a great guy to deal with. Must be some mistake I think.