PDA

View Full Version : WFN Meat Maker

kobeinu
12-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Hello all,

So happy to have something worth posting. I usually just sponge up the experience and advice from the shadows. I stop in this section a lot. It is great to read the success people are having with cast projectiles.

I got my first deer with a cast hand load this weekend. A 300gn Beartooth Bullet at .432 with a bunch of H110. The doe dropped in her tracks, fell sideways and expired. I was shocked at the efficiency of the whole hunt. I don't mind walking after one but this was great. It also tracks what people said would happen. The shot was a good one which is THE most important part of the whole event. She was moving down hill away from me. I'd wanted the smaller male spike with her but he wouldn't come out of the brush. I waited for her to take a step with her left front leg and put it in the "arm pit" through one side and out the neck, above the far leg/shoulder. Severed the hoses going in the pump and disrupted the bags. The exit hole was smaller than the entrance. I missed it at first. No blood from it. Hair covered it back up. I was pretty excited that I'd be able to recover my "first" even though I kept thinking, that doesn't make sense. Once I'd made a mess of my gloves looking for it, I went back over the doe and found the exit hole. Practically a .432 exit hole, where as the entrance hole was more like .50 or so. Whatever. She folded straight down on the spot, fell over to the down hill side and I watched the spike stamp impatiently, puff, walk around, stamp so more. 15mins he circled her trying to get her to quit screwing around and move on with him. I got tired of waiting for him, threw some branches in to a brush which spooked him. Not the shot, some branches.... I only took one round with me. It was the last one I'd made up for sighting in. I'd meant to make up a few more but didn't get to it. I grew up hunting with an HR 20ga break action so I had a lever action single shot. I almost went with something else but the .44mag carbine always makes meat so who needs more than one round. If I'd had two rounds with me, I'd have taken two deer home.

shoot-n-lead
12-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Good job and story!

white eagle
12-05-2016, 04:20 PM
now thats doing it the hard way
but hey it worked out just fine
one bullet one kill the way it should be

Driver33
12-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on a good hunt

358 Win
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Kobeinu,
Congratulations on the .44 Mag cast boolet doe! My .44 Mags are my old Ruger SBH and an H&R single shot Shikari. The only cast Boolit I shoot from my .44's is the Lyman 429421 at 1438 fps from the Ruger and 1761 fps from the H&R with a 2.5x20mm scope. Only ever killed groundhogs and such with them however.

I've got two .357 Magnum rifles and two revolvers. The two rifles are a 1979 Marlin Model 94 carbine and and a 1999 Model 94 CBL with 24" barrel. The two revolvers are a 1976 Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel and a 1980 S&W 19-4 with 4" barrel. Too many cast loads to fully mention but the boolet weights range from 150 to 215 grains. My favorites consist of 164 grain Gas Check boolits at 1800 fps from the 1894 Carbine and 1368 fps from the Smith revolver. Always lots of fun and inexspensive too.

358 Win

T-Bird
12-05-2016, 07:17 PM
We have a very funny family hunting story that revolves around my brother, several years ago, coming by my clinic at dark one day during hunting season cussing loudly about the huge buck he had just missed and he had only one bullet. When asked why he had only one bullet, he said "that's all it takes" you can imagine my response! Truth was, when he got to the woods, he had left his bullets at home, but he was able to find one under the seat of his truck- nah we never rag him about it!-much. Congrats on your kill. Shoot Straight T-Bird