PDA

View Full Version : No Luck This Year

Deep Six
12-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Well today was the last day of 2nd season here in IL. First season was 3 days of rain and 50 mph wind and I ended up getting dragged into work that weekend anyways. Figured with the nicer weather the 4-day 2nd season that opened on Dec 1st would be when I filled my tag. I was even going to cheat and use Hornady XTPs in the big 44 Redhawk to trade meat damage for DRT so I wouldn't have to track the things through thick thorn bushes.

I spent at least 6 hours per day in the stand the last four days. Nothing was moving. I only saw two does on Friday morning but neither gave me a shot. Ended up getting 6" of snow today and did see one small doe as it was getting dark but again, no good shot to be taken.

Looks like no venison sausage this year unless I drag my rear end out to the stand in frigid temps in the middle of January for CWD season.

Smoke4320
12-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Man I can feel your pain. I had a year like that when I decided to wait for a real trophy that had been seen numerous times by several people on my property. Let deer walk and need up with nothing.
Hope springs eternal and you have another season

Brad Cayton
12-04-2016, 09:37 PM
I hate that for you. I had the same season as you a few years back, work kept me tied up and the little time I got to hunt was nasty weather but I guess that's how it goes. Next years deer season will be here before we know it

shoot-n-lead
12-04-2016, 09:49 PM
That is tough...I have had some of those seasons, myself. Fortunately...our seasons have gotten longer over the years.

Mtnfolk75
12-05-2016, 01:19 AM
I hope you have a better year in 2017. I skinned and butchered two small bucks for a Disabled friend and never even got a day in the field for myself :( My hunting area was destroyed by the Cedar Fire and I just didn't get a chance to re-scout .... maybe the new growth will work out for next year [smilie=s:

Hickory
12-05-2016, 01:53 AM
I've seen only one deer this year. And before legal hunting hours.
There were none of the usual other hunters pushing deer through the woods.
I went to town a few times last week and did not see many people hunting at all.
Either the deer numbers are down or the number of deer hunters are down.

phonejack
12-05-2016, 10:06 PM
None for me either. Last day I hunted I had 2 does 15 minutes apart come by me. One at 20 yards the other at 15 yards. I was sitting on the ground. Even tho I had tags I just enjoyed the moments and let them pass.