PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question about bump dies

Dalee
12-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi,

*** here. I'm just trying to learn.

I was reading a thread about swaging .311 bullets for an SKS/AK rifle. It was mentioned that perhaps a bump die to make cheap .308 bullets into .311. A Google search didn't really get me anything to learn from. Could someone explain like I'm 5 what a bump die is and how it's used? A picture would be great too.

I'm not interested in doing such things myself, (at least at this point). But all knowledge is good.

Thanks!!!
Dalee

uncle dino
12-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Dalee.. A bump die wouldn't really be the correct term...you would use a point form die of correct diameter and profile. You could then take, for example a 308 bullet and re swage up to a .311 ..d.

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 12:57 PM
a bump die is an actual thing and it is used for cast projectiles.
it kind of reshapes them to match the rifles throat better and to change some diameters on the boolit.
you can bump up the diameter or size the nose to make it more round or the perfect diameter to lightly engrave the lands.
you can also use a bump die to pre-slump the base of the nose but in a round-straight fashion so it slides into the tapered lead of your rifles barrel and is supported by steel.

they are used to enhance accuracy in a BR type rifle.

however what I think you are talking about is the thread where BT replied to the kid from Oklahoma about bumping 308 bullets to 311.
all you are doing there is squeezing the bullet a bit shorter which makes it go fatter.