PDA

View Full Version : christmas for a new cadet

fg-machine
12-03-2016, 07:23 PM
i have a nephew who is in Texas about three quarters of the way threw basic training . he is a pretty good kid so i thought i'd get him a couple things he has been wanting .

first is a next to brand new with only two shots fired 45-70 handi rifle while not my first choice i even managed to find one with the camo stock he wanted instead of the walnut i like .

and second is a brand new colt m4 with the magpul furniture he wanted

i don't think i want to do anything with handi rifle except take off the cheap china scope and put a decent red dot or fixed power scope on it for deer hunting here in Ohio .

but the ar on the other hand i wouldn't mind improving on a bit and not being an ar kinda guy i am open for advice ... without turning it into a mall ninja project .

so lets hear some suggestions

BrassMagnet
12-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Leopold Firedot scope!

lylejb
12-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Thing is, when you talk AR there's everything expect the kitchen sink that somebody has hung on one. Some people really go for that, some don't want all that stuff in the way. Its really a personal taste thing. Trying to guess what he might want is, at best, a guess. Try to talk with him without tipping your hand too much. See if he mentions something he likes.

1911cherry
12-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Get him the Handi rifle for sure , Uncle Sam will provide him a Colt. Handi's are out of production and prices will soon start to climb.

30Carbine
12-04-2016, 12:13 AM
I agree with you don't much care for the cammo but if he likes it then so be it. the ar on the other hand, a scope and that is all until he can get ahold of it or you can get more info from him. there's to much **** for those and a lot of different tastes out there.

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 01:00 AM
I'd take that stupid handle and rail off the front and throw it away.
then put the right butt stock on it.

B. Lumpkin
12-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Leave the M4 as is and let your nephew modify it to his liking.

CraigOK
12-04-2016, 10:48 AM
He'll learn to use irons in basic, so I'd just get him some extra mags. Guess you could get a rear sight like he was trained with? https://armalite.com/shop/matech-rear-adjustable-sight/

kingstrider
12-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Wow let me say you are the best uncle ever! What a thoughtful gesture and I'm sure he'll treasure those guns. My only suggestions would be a decent scope for the Handi and a red dot or prism optic for the AR15. Did I mention you are an awesome uncle?!?

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 12:26 PM
if the AF basic is like I remember he won't remember enough about the AR rifles to be able to even clean it.
they are expected to blow stuff up not shoot at it.
the majority of the AF personnel don't even qualify with a rifle after basic training and are only expected to use one if they are being over run.

then they rely on their security forces and LE sections to provide most of the spearhead to supplement the Army dudes protecting the base.

sundog
12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
An AR with a **** trigger is just that. An AR with a good trigger can be made into something.

Good triggers are not cheap.

fg-machine
12-04-2016, 07:15 PM
i am not exactly enamored with the furniture on the ar either . but when asked he was pretty specific on what he wanted .

this isn't a surprise to him , knowing that he would be in basic training over the holidays i gave him a budget and asked him what he wanted .
about a week later the colt ar with the magpul furniture was his answer .
i included the handi rifle simply because with the decline in ar prices i was able to buy it too and still stay within what i had give him for a budget .

i had to google the Leopold firedot . nice ! but a bit outside my currant budget .

and most here seem to agree about all the doo dads and gadgets . thats left for personal tastes .

but , the trigger isnt a bad idea . it is one of those things thats a good improvement for anyone .

i am not against optics of some sort either . but thats a subject out of my comfort zone . i know next to nothing about modern optics .

B. Lumpkin
12-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Look at ALG Defense for a good trigger that won't break the bank. I like their triggers, and have a couple of their QMS triggers.

Geissele SSA triggers can often be found on sale. I got mine from DSG arms for $165.00 back in September.

Both are good triggers, with the Geissele being the better of the two for pull. For ruggedness it's a coin toss, lol.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Wow, what a great Uncle.
I think I'd leave the guns as they are...china scope and all, not all china scopes are total junk.
Let him play with them at the range for a while and maybe a future gift could be a high quality scope or top shelf trigger group for the AR.
that's my 2¢

runfiverun
12-04-2016, 07:29 PM
right at the top of this page there is a company called The Wisconsin trigger company
they specialize in AR triggers [it's all they do]
I would spend a minute or two on their web site checking things out.

MaryB
12-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Free float front handguard on the AR can improve accuracy. Especially if he does a barrel swap down the road. This went in the AR I am currently building. Super smooth and sweet trigger. I think I paid $165 http://www.primaryarms.com/black-rain-ordnance-drop-in-trigger-group-bro-dit