PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake/compensator recommendations?

tazman
12-03-2016, 05:17 PM
I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308. While I can handle the recoil just fine, I was wondering what muzzle brake/compensator you would recommend. I don't want to lose any of my accuracy by doing this.
The rifle comes pre threaded in 5/8x24. All I would need is the device and a crush washer.
Is there a specific design that works significantly better than the others?

dverna
12-03-2016, 05:27 PM
The one I have is no longer made. One caution.....they will make th gun a LOT louder

Don Verna

Artful
12-03-2016, 06:17 PM
The one I have is no longer made. One caution.....they will make th gun a LOT louder

Don Verna

Or it could be suppressed which can decrease group size as well as make it more pleasant to be around.

JWT
12-03-2016, 07:23 PM
The recoil would go to almost zero, but no one will want to be near you with it. One shot without hearing protection from my Weatherby with the brake makes my ears ring for half hour. Don't bother with the brake unless you really need to damp recoil.

tazman
12-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I have been around the short barreled AR rifles with the flash suppressors so I know about the noise factor. I have no experience with how much the recoil would be reduced or what effect it would have on group size.

tomme boy
12-03-2016, 10:15 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910504/dpms-muzzle-brake-miculek-5-8-24-thread-lr-308-steel-parkerized

The 223 one works amazingly well.

Or the one I used to use on my 308 is from Ross Schuler. http://rossmuzzlebrakes.com/index.html

I have a barrel coming back from him right now from being threaded.

tomme boy
12-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I will say that these will piss off anyone near you they are so loud

Bama
12-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Look at Wittmachine.com. They have both the slip on and threaded. I use the slip on on my Savage 308 and couldn't make it without it. Shoot a couple hundred from bench a week and don't like to be knocked around. Brake allow keeping on sight and reduces recoil at least 60%. Prices are good also.

tazman
12-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Look at Wittmachine.com. They have both the slip on and threaded. I use the slip on on my Savage 308 and couldn't make it without it. Shoot a couple hundred from bench a week and don't like to be knocked around. Brake allow keeping on sight and reduces recoil at least 60%. Prices are good also.

Thanks for posting the link. Those look interesting.
Actually the correct link ends in .net. The dot com link goes to a page of witty remarks.

mcdaniel.mac
12-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Keep in mind that most brakes need to be timed, so rather than a crush washer you'll need a peel washer. Midway has the Surefire Procomp on sale for about $45 right now, otherwise any of the single-chamber brakes will do just fine. I prefer the silencer, myself, although it does add a bit more weight.

silverjay
12-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Battlecomp's work very well.

Whiterabbit
12-05-2016, 02:52 AM
I can't recommend tri-delta enough. Look at the PRB blog on muzzle brake performance

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

The Tri-delta is sneakily good. It's got the best stack of features. Not the best anywhere, but it's in the top batch everywhere.

For recoil reduction, percieved testing is that it is very, very good. Up there with the best. It's not a junk device.

But what really sets it apart is what has already been mentioned: noise. Brakes are noisy. This one throws the sound slightly to the side. Any miniscule performance loss you get from that is more than made up for by the brake not being so loud (at the shooter's position). Add the cost and availability, and it's a no-brainer.

Mytmousemalibu
12-05-2016, 05:13 AM
SJC Titan muzzle brake, Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty

Both are excellent brakes, the Seekins and the Miculek brakes are pretty good too.

As others mentioned, you will clear the shooting benches around you! Best double up on ear pro too!

EDG
12-05-2016, 06:26 AM
You have been misled if those rifles do not have a true brake.
I have an Egyptian Hakim in 8X57 (close to a .308) and it has the issue integral brake. This is a fair size brake with large front ports and many vent holes drilled in the top. It is very effective and the recoil is reduced to about .223 level in the heavy rifle.
However it is noisy beyond belief.
Here is an example.
I was shooting at an empty range with 50 benches. I was the ONLY shooter. Two *******es showed up and they had to take the bench next to me. They had the rest of the range and they had to shoot next to me. They both had Weatherbys with brakes. They dragged them out and started shooting and the muzzle blast on the covered firing line was terrific and very uncomfortable. So I got my Hakim out and started shooting. Within 10 rounds they had packed up and left.
My range did not even allow brakes for a long time. Now I can shoot the Hakim but I never shoot it when there are other people around- unless they are inconsiderate.

I have been around the short barreled AR rifles with the flash suppressors so I know about the noise factor. I have no experience with how much the recoil would be reduced or what effect it would have on group size.

HeavyHev
12-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Jerry Miculek makes a mean compensator. When it comes to a compensator, the bigger the baffels the better recoil reduction. As far as I know it only comes in 223 but you could always drill it out some. Hard to beat the bang for the buck with this one. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/compensators/ar-15-miculek-comp-prod5573.aspx

Scharfschuetze
12-09-2016, 03:26 PM
I used compensaters on the Barrett 50 cal rifle and the 8mm Lapua. They're a necessary evil on those rifles, but are probably one of the reasons I have Tinnitus like I do even though I tried to use double ear protection when using or spotting for these rifles. In the end, you don't get something for nothing and that's very true with compensaters.

Now that I shoot recreationally, I won't shoot near a rifle with a muzzle break.

Texas by God
12-12-2016, 12:10 AM
You have been misled if those rifles do not have a true brake.
I have an Egyptian Hakim in 8X57 (close to a .308) and it has the issue integral brake. This is a fair size brake with large front ports and many vent holes drilled in the top. It is very effective and the recoil is reduced to about .223 level in the heavy rifle.
However it is noisy beyond belief.
Here is an example.
I was shooting at an empty range with 50 benches. I was the ONLY shooter. Two *******es showed up and they had to take the bench next to me. They had the rest of the range and they had to shoot next to me. They both had Weatherbys with brakes. They dragged them out and started shooting and the muzzle blast on the covered firing line was terrific and very uncomfortable. So I got my Hakim out and started shooting. Within 10 rounds they had packed up and left.
My range did not even allow brakes for a long time. Now I can shoot the Hakim but I never shoot it when there are other people around- unless they are inconsiderate.

That's funny and I agree Hakims are louder than a Who concert!

Texas by God
12-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Tazman IMO don't get a brake. I hate them except my Cutts Comp on my '58 A5 skeet gun but it aint THAT loud. Best, Thomas.

robg
12-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Rather have a moderator/silencer .fired a 50 Cal in our tunnel range with a brake, no recoil but fireball and blast was huge, blew dust everywhere and lit up the tunnel .even double plugs and muffs my ears were ringing .

Dutchninja
12-12-2016, 11:22 AM
JP enterprise Recoil Eliminator (https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php) I put one of these on my encore in 30-06. You could put the butt stock to your nose and not feel a thing. insanely effective.

tazman
12-12-2016, 01:53 PM
JP enterprise Recoil Eliminator (https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php) I put one of these on my encore in 30-06. You could put the butt stock to your nose and not feel a thing. insanely effective.

Did this change your point of impact or group size?
How much louder is the weapon?

Hamish
12-12-2016, 03:27 PM
I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308. While I can handle the recoil just fine, I was wondering what muzzle brake/compensator you would recommend. I don't want to lose any of my accuracy by doing this.
The rifle comes pre threaded in 5/8x24. All I would need is the device and a crush washer.
Is there a specific design that works significantly better than the others?

Take a few minutes and watch this: https://youtu.be/SNhZiKWDCdY

Krinkov type, Noveske Pig, KAK Flash Can, the muzzle blast deflector is your friend! Made all the difference in the world on my AR pistols and 300 BLK single shot pistol. (Max loads of 110/296 were obnoxious without it)

Dutchninja
12-12-2016, 05:37 PM
It decreased my groups due to the fact that i wasn't pulling the trigger in anticipating the recoil. With the light gun the recoil was not horrendous but it was stout. I put that on and its no different than shooting a .223.

Noise and blast is directed out 90 degrees so you don't want to be standing on either side. The noise wasn't increased too bad, the brake on my SCAR17 is louder / worse. JMO

Youtube Video on a 7.82 warbird (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1RewBWMgM) - not the greatest video but it shows the recoil reduction well towards the end.

on a 300WM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox8akyhTn7g)

Hope this helps.

Scharfschuetze
12-13-2016, 12:03 AM
It decreased my groups due to the fact that i wasn't pulling the trigger in anticipating the recoil. With the light gun the recoil was not horrendous but it was stout. I put that on and its no different than shooting a .223.

You bring up an interesting point Dutchninja. It is my belief (former LE firearms instructor and SF SOTIC Level II instructor) that more shooters flinch from the report of the weapon than they do the actual recoil. It's not always the case, but it is a constant factor in retraining shooters that are flinching.

Of course a muzzle brake really ups the decibel level of each shot and the audio overload to the nervous system which is conducive to instilling a flinch. I like the idea of that Krinkov device. I might put one on my AR15 varmint rifle. What is not mentioned in the video is that the added weight out front on the muzzle (enhanced by the Moment of Weight... ask an aircraft load master) will help to stabilize the rifle in offhand shooting.

Taz, any weight or device on the barrel that retards or exacerbates your barrel harmonics has the ability to change your point of impact and the weapons grouping ability. That was the intent of the Winchester/Browning Boss device that was adjustable to tune the harmonics of the barrel.

tazman
12-13-2016, 01:23 AM
Taz, any weight or device on the barrel that retards or exacerbates your barrel harmonics has the ability to change your point of impact and the weapons grouping ability. That was the intent of the Winchester/Browning Boss device that was adjustable to tune the harmonics of the barrel.

I was wondering about that, particularly since there is no real way of adjusting/tuning it once it is installed. I didn't know if it would throw things off or improve them. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what it does. Different devices may effect things differently also.
As usual there are trade offs in everything.
Apparently there is no magic pill here either. If it makes the rifle more controllable, I can live with the extra noise and just shoot it when no one else is there to be disturbed by the blast.
I use double hearing protection at all times anyway.

Scharfschuetze
12-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I was wondering about that, particularly since there is no real way of adjusting/tuning it once it is installed. I didn't know if it would throw things off or improve them. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what it does. Different devices may effect things differently also.
As usual there are trade offs in everything.
Apparently there is no magic pill here either. If it makes the rifle more controllable, I can live with the extra noise and just shoot it when no one else is there to be disturbed by the blast.
I use double hearing protection at all times anyway.

Taz, check out this link for the Boss system. While it's an add, it does explain the harmonics issue well.

http://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/boss-system.html

Whiterabbit
12-13-2016, 01:17 PM
I used the BOSS system for my savage 338 lapua and really liked it. Not much recoil reduction, but lots of noise reduction at the shooter's position.

When I sold the rifle the receiving party sent me a note that made me chuckle: "Why'd you put a flash hider on it?"