PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished my 2005 gunsmithing project

kawalekm
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Back about 2004 I bought a pair of K98 Mausers for 50$ each. I decided to keep one original, and the other one I would sporterize to make a deer hunting rifle. The one I'm sporterizing appeared to have a pristine bore with sharp square rifling, and no visible pitting at all.

First, I removed the stock and cut off the rifle barrel to 24 inches and crowned the muzzle. I cut off the bolt handle and welded it back on at a 90 degree angle to facilitate scope mounting. I drilled and tapped the receiver with a drill press and mounted a Midway Mauser scope base. Lastly, I mounted a Simmon's 3X9 scope and bore sighted.

I sanded down the stock and filled in sling holes with excess wood from the forearm. I added a Brownell's rubber recoil pad, and whisker sanded all the way to 600 grit, then completed it with a hand-rubbed tung oil finish.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/2005_gunsmithing_project.jpg
Well here it is. Not bad for a 50$ rifle! Just had to add innumerable hours of labor! Now I can start load development and then I'm off to the range!
Michael

danski26
06-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice looking rifle!

jackley
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Looks like you done good. Let us know how she shoots.

Jerry

Bret4207
06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with that set up! Personally I'd find a nice old Weaver K2.5 or K3 and then I'd have a retro-1950's rifle. Truth be told you're probably far better off in the woods and fields than 90% of the other guys out there with their 7mm Magnumhurtsalot's and the 8x32 scopes. My "rainy day/everyday" deer rifle is an old ratty '93 Mauser in 7x57 with a half finished Bishop sotck, a Williams peep and the original front sight. Wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere in the lower 48.

I'm still working on my 1986 gunsmithing project, a Mauser '98 mated with an Israelie 18.5" 308 barrel in a Mannlicher stock. Someday.....

kawalekm
06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Bret
My first gunsmithing project was more like yours. I started with a small-ring Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55mm. I like peep sights also and that's what I put on this rifle. I also bought two (they were 80$ each) and refinished one and left the other as is. Here's a pic of my first sporterizing project.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/Sporterized_Swedish_Mauser.jpg

Bret4207
06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Good friend of mines father has it's twin. Not a darn thing wrong with it. Of course the Remchester fans that buy from the high priced outfits will sneer and look down their noses, but chances are you'll out shoot them.

be603
06-20-2008, 01:30 AM
To quote my son's Irish soccer coach "Nicely done lad. Nicely done." What'd the finished weight come out to?

runfiverun
06-26-2008, 02:57 AM
nothing better then a mauser action in a nice stock, with the right sized scope.
and bbl length they also balnce nicely.

oh and on the load 4064 and 170 gr bullets...

Newtire
08-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Bret
My first gunsmithing project was more like yours. I started with a small-ring Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55mm. I like peep sights also and that's what I put on this rifle. I also bought two (they were 80$ each) and refinished one and left the other as is. Here's a pic of my first sporterizing project.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/Sporterized_Swedish_Mauser.jpg

These rifles in this thread are more like my style of rifle. Looks like I might be able to fix up to something like these. Real sleek little no-nonsense rifles.