PDA

View Full Version : Sour Sig and the Peach

shooting on a shoestring
12-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Bought a used SP2022 40. Wanted it because it had night sights and waS DA/SA. Hadn't owned either before.

On night sights, found out they only work when I have my glasses on. Otherwise totally useless. Also, it's cool they're always on, unless you want to be stealthy. Overall, I like them, but they are not a "have to have" item. Glad I tried them.

On DA/SA, great idea. Love it for a nightstand gun or carry weapon. It's a point and pull system like a striker-fired. Don't have to find a safety in the excitement of an encounter. After the action is over, then you can use the decocker tab. That's a better manual of arms. In DA, rebounding hammer down, its a long safe trigger pull to shoot it. Safe as a DA revolver. The SA is not as crisp as SA on a K-Frame, but is much like a striker-fired. The transition is not a problem at all but very natural after about a box down range.

Glad I bought the Sour Sig to discover the above. However, the SP2022 would not feed lead boolits. Tried all COLs, charges etc... and they would jam on the feed ramp. A little daub of grease on the ramp and it was good for a mag or two. Bummer.

Then it started shaking off its trigger pivot retainer. It's an out board snapper sleeve that looks like a fancy O ring. When it would bail off during firing, the trigger would move to where it wouldn't work. Not good.

Took it to the LGS and after discussions and a little cash outlay, left with a new PEACH. A new Sig P229 in 40. Same sights, better feeling DA/SA trigger, better design w/o the snapper sleeve, aluminum frame, better feel in my hand, great throat, shoots cast beautifully! Love it.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Sigs. We used them a lot in law enforcement in the early '90's and I carried one for a while, less than 2 years. Here's what we concluded. Keep it oiled. They are very accurate.

The night sights are very helpful in letting you know how your gun is oriented in the drawer in the middle of the night when you go to grab it. Night sights are most effective in the least light. However in darkness you need light for target identification before you shoot.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Sounds like you made a good trade there!

shoot-n-lead
12-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Sounds like you did good.

I like nightsights...but, I don't like Sig's...terrible ergonomics, remind me of a HiPoint.

Tackleberry41
12-07-2016, 02:04 PM
OP found out like I did all Sigs are not Sigs. There are the Sigs well known for quality and reliability, made in Europe. And then the 'economy' stuff made here and sold as Sig. Would think they could get their act together, but guess hard to do and keep the price down. I ended up with a P250, traded it for something else. Those were the ones they tried to pawn off on numerous govt agencies all over the world, and pretty much all of them were sent back. I didn't shoot mine enough for it to fall apart or anything break, which they were known for. It wasnt reliable enough for me to keep long. It had an annoying habit of just leaving an empty case laying there to jam up the works. Wasnt ammo, I tried factory and reloads, did it with either. Hope its not mags, brand new, and did it with all 4 mags I had. Didnt do it every time, but you just never could count on it going thru an entire mag and not jam. Certainly not reliable enough to use for defense. The same issues various govts had with them. I have looked at some of the newer ones, but wont buy one unless its a Sig made in Europe.

osteodoc08
12-08-2016, 02:58 AM
My Exeter, NH P226 has been flawless for thousands of rounds. Factory and reload, including cast.

Agreed on some models not being up to the "Sig Standard" and "Legacy"

Virginia John
12-08-2016, 10:38 AM
My P226 is great. I shoot 4 different calibers with it and all are extremely accurate. That 226 lead me to buy a 2022 in 9mm. Boy what a disappointment! No, not all Sigs are equal.

JimB..
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Only problem with my P226 was not locking back on an empty mag and that turned out to be caused by my thumb placement. Still happens from time to time if I've been shooting the 1911s a lot. Thousands of rounds, 8 or 9 mags including sig and mecgar.

Tackleberry41
12-08-2016, 06:00 PM
P226 is a classic Euro Sig, and the cost also reflects the quality. Sig tried to make budget guns to get themselves in the glock/ruger/s&w/etc market. And has not really worked out, seems you cant make $800 pistols for $500. Local place has never had a real sig in the case, its always the US made ones. I got burned on the one, and wont take the risk on another.

I was looking at one of their rifles a couple months ago. Not the AR clone, the one they made before it. The Euro made 550 was a good rifle, guess they tried to make them here. I was not impressed at all, there was something loose on it, asked the guy behind the counter, just shrugged his shoulders. They had 2 of them in the rack for a long long time, guess nobody else wanted them, not for $1500 at least.

shooting on a shoestring
12-08-2016, 10:51 PM
The round count is 500 give or take 20. No jams, no feed failure, all extracted, fired every time it was supposed to and none when it wasn't.

Its fired 3 factory rounds. They worked too.

This 229 is definitely a real gun. The 2022 was very disappointing.

Guns are like shoes. What fits me might not fit you. I find the 229 to be very ergonomic. I much prefer it to my 1911. My Hi Power is the sweetest of all my bottom feeders. However, this Sig is a tool and I really like the DA/SA system for carry and night stand duty.

Im hoping the Sig will prove to be a long term flawless shooter. I'm hoping to get confidence in it like I have in my GP100s or K-Frames. I do like the 40 ballistics and the size/shape of the 229 is good.

hp246
12-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Congrats on your Sig. Like anything else, you'll find people who love em and people who hate em. I loved my 226 when I was on the job. probably put 20K rounds through it without malfunction. When I retired, they sent it back to Sig and had it returned to like new and reissued it. Carry a P220 now because I can.

shooting on a shoestring
01-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Back from the range. 1k rounds through the 229. Running sweet. Not a single failure... except one round fired in a snatch and shoot drill. Didn't get a good grip on the Sig and I hit the slide lock in recoil. That's a risk with any auto. Count it as a point for carrying a revolver. So far I'm very pleased with the 229.

The DA/SA trigger is getting easier to run. Probably, it's getting slicker and I'm getting better at using it.

Texas by God
01-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Sigs that I have owned & liked; A Browning BDA .45, a P226 9mm. Sigs I have owned & disliked; a P220 DAK .45, a 2022 .357/.40 combo,and a P238 .380. Best, Thomas.

shooting on a shoestring
01-24-2017, 10:30 PM
TBG...I'm curious what about the Sig 238 didn't work for you? They look pretty cute.

osteodoc08
01-24-2017, 10:55 PM
I enjoyed my P238 but it went down the road for something a bit more.....capable.

Triggernosis
01-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed my P238 but it went down the road for something a bit more.....capable.

.22 Magnum? :grin:

osteodoc08
01-25-2017, 10:53 PM
.22 Magnum? :grin:

Ha ha. No. A colt LW Commander in 45 ACP or a SA XDS in 45 ACP

Doggonekid
01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
My first Sig was the 2340 Pro. As far a prices for a Sig I thought it was a good deal. It was a good gun but not a great one. When I borrowed my son's Glock and it outshot my Sig I took it back to the gun shop and sold it. Bought a Sig P226 elite and I really liked that one. Much better shooter.
I agree with osteodoc08 I like my Colts.