PDA

View Full Version : Turkey fryer

vrh
12-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Can I use the aluminum pot that comes with a factory made turkey fryer to melt lead . Have a lot of lead to melt down into smaller ingots.

Pipefitter
12-03-2016, 11:24 AM
NOT a good idea, too hot and the aluminum will melt, spilling whatever molten lead is in the pot. I suggest finding a cast iron pot (or stainless) to melt the lead in. Also, most of the turkey fryers are not built sturdy enough to support any significant amount of weight. When I melt more than 50 pounds of lead in one batch I stack 2 cement blocks on either side of my burner, and lay 2 pieces of angle iron across them to support the pot.

lightman
12-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Using aluminum is not a good idea. Lots of guys use a cut of propane tank for a pot. A Harbor Freight Dutch oven is another favorite.

Yodogsandman
12-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Just read a thread on another casting forum saying that the aluminum pot weakened and leaked out the whole load of lead into the burner and all over the ground. Could get dangerous!

Wayne Smith
12-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Not a good idea - but if you look up melting temps you will think it is. It is the slump temp of aluminium that is the issue, not the melting point. Molten lead will get to the slump point and the structure of the aluminium collapses, leaking lead everywhere. If you have a Harbor Freight close by get one of their cast iron pots. They can be brittle when hot, so don't bang anything against it. If you have the ability cutting a propane or freon bottle is probably better.

kenyerian
12-03-2016, 01:16 PM
plus 1 on the Freon bottle they are easy to cut into and if you ask your local refrigeration repair man nicely they are free.

Johnny_Cyclone
12-03-2016, 01:31 PM
D Crockett used to make these and sold them in the Swappin' & Sellin' section:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/bumpo628/IMG_20110903_180939.jpg

Havn't seen him advertise in a while.

More pics on this Thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?141746-propane-tank-smelter-question