PDA

View Full Version : No love for the LCR, especially in 9mm

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Finally found a snubnosed Revolver I don't care for. :(

Looker? nope. I knew it was ugly when i picked it up. I was wanting function over beauty. I got neither. It's longer than a j frame and just doesn't have that "feel" a good pocket pistol has. And it rattles!

Functions? Yeah, but don't give it long before something breaks. Why? Don't know, gut feeling. Trigger is gritty and "clunky". Has a false reset! I got over it with some trigger time, but it's happened to every shooter I let shoot it. Trigger is no better than a j frame, but worse. Pistol feels like it "rings" like a cheap bell when I fire it or dry fire it.

Moon Clips? Yep, and it's the weapon's only plus, IMHO. I can buy very good self defense ammo in 9mm all day long. For 38, it's slim pickings. I like the moon clips and see them as superior to speedloader. I do miss the flat carrying of the speed strip though. But doubt this pistol stays around long. And it kicks! Even with Buffalo Bore +Ps, I can keep my 360 or 642 on target for a couple of cylinder fulls. I shot the 9mm LCR with factory 115gr and my 124 gr reloads, and could barely stand twenty rounds of busting plates at 5 yards.

Accurate? It's as good as my worste j frame. The SP101 blows it away, of course. But my SW 360J can keep all of its five shots inside the LCR's groups! But after a few boxes of shells down range in the last two weeks, it's not on par with a 642 or Taurus 85.

Maybe new grips? Oh hell no! Hogue has that market wrapped up. And they offer three kinds, factory and boot and weird boot. They do make some G10 grips, but not sinking $70 into a pair for a pistol I don't even like. My factory boot grips on the 642 is smaller yet give me a better hold. I just don't get it.

Never had a Ruger that I thought was a total *** as a model, but now I have. Realy was wanting to like this LCR.

Lefty

LUCKYDAWG13
12-02-2016, 08:16 PM
I almost bought one too then a friend let me shoot his yes a *** but i love my SP101 with a 3" barrel

Walkingwolf
12-02-2016, 08:24 PM
I have never been interested in the LCR, though the 22 might be a good fishing gun. I would imagine the 9mm LCR could be improved with lighter loaded hand loads. 9mm just seems a little stout for a ultralight snub revolver.

bluelund79
12-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Don't have the 9mm model, but the 38+p model. Mine has been excellent for the past 5 years. Painful after a box of SD ammo, yes. And I run the tiny boot grip. Decent with 148gr wadcutters, yes. Accurate, yes. I shoot it at 25 yards. I also had a 042 Smith. It's the rattle trap compared to the Ruger, and I'm a Smith revolver guy. I carry the Ruger as a bug, and will continue to do so. Sorry you aren't happy with yours. If you sell it cheap, pm me and I'll give it a go. I'll never trust my life to a Taurus, nor will spend money on one other than a Rossi levergun for hunting. Personal choice.

shoot-n-lead
12-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Sorry you don't like it...as I LOVE mine in .357.

dragon813gt
12-02-2016, 08:52 PM
There are many reasons I don't own one in 327 Federal. I honestly don't like DA Rugers. I find them inferior to S&W's offerings in every way. I know many love them, I'm not one. Have a SP-101 in 327 and it has the absolute worse trigger pull out of any revolver I've ever handled. The geometry is completely wrong. Like I said, I'm not a fan of DA Rugers.

paul h
12-02-2016, 09:03 PM
I know several people that have them and they love them, but to me it looks like a kids cap gun. And I like Rugers!

I do really like my LC9s pro. I figure the 9 does everything I'd want in a 38 snubby, and with two mags and one in the pipe I have 15rds with one mag change.

marvelshooter
12-02-2016, 09:12 PM
I shot one cylinder full of 38's through my nephews LCR and decided that was enough. Can't imagine +P's or .357's.

PaulG67
12-02-2016, 09:15 PM
"Sorry you don't like it...as I LOVE mine in .357."

I just returned from my local toy store and almost put down a deposit for one in 357. Nice and lightweight, should be easy to carry. But the time of the year and bills to pay made it a bad idea. Maybe next year.

shoot-n-lead
12-02-2016, 09:25 PM
"Sorry you don't like it...as I LOVE mine in .357."

I just returned from my local toy store and almost put down a deposit for one in 357. Nice and lightweight, should be easy to carry. But the time of the year and bills to pay made it a bad idea. Maybe next year.

It is a very shootable lightweight .357 snub...it is my favorite snub revolver...like it better than my 642's.

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 09:36 PM
It is a very shootable lightweight .357 snub...it is my favorite snub revolver...like it better than my 642's.

That is one reason I'm so down over the whole deal, everyone that I know that has them loves them! I really wants to like this pistol. It's like going out with the captain of the cheerleading squad and finding out she is pretty boring! :)

I paid extra to get the 9mm too, about $75 over the LCRX and regular 38. I had second thoughts, but plowed through anyways. But when three good shooters, besides me, ask "Os there something wrong with it?" I know it's not me. Especially since we have 15 snubnoses between us! Just can't get over that cheap feeling when pulling the trigger. Going to run it to the gunsmith and see if maybe something came lose. Cause it just feels like a cheap cap pistol.

Lefty

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 09:46 PM
I know several people that have them and they love them, but to me it looks like a kids cap gun. And I like Rugers!

I do really like my LC9s pro. I figure the 9 does everything I'd want in a 38 snubby, and with two mags and one in the pipe I have 15rds with one mag change.

It it is hard to justify my obsession of snubnoses with the crop of proven small single stacked 9mms out there. My carry is my Sig 938, just can't get smaller or more shootsble. And I was wanting this LCR 9 as my front pocket pistol. Common caliber as my EDC and all the things I love in a snubnose Revolver.

And yeah, I consider myself a Ruger Fanboy! But I think they missed the mark on this model.

I could have bought two lightly used LC9's (I like the original DA/2nd Strike Capability Trigger better, yeah weird!) and some ammo or stuff for what I paid for the LCR! Ruger is the brand I go to for inexpensive yet quality.

Lefty

jmort
12-02-2016, 09:48 PM
I have five, two .357s, two 9mms and one .38 LCRX
Still have one J Frame, a 360 .357
Dumped the other three
The LCRX triggers blow the doors off the J Frames.
The $800 360 had a 15 pound trigger. How great is that, obviously not. I find the accuracy equal. Love the feel of the LCR and find it absorbs recoil better. To each his own. If they make a .357 LCRX I will be at 7 LCRs.

lefty o
12-02-2016, 10:06 PM
imo having played around with one, its a ***!

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Dumped the other three
The $800 360 had a 15 pound trigger. How great is that, obviously not. I find the accuracy equal. Love the feel of the LCR and find it absorbs recoil better. To each his own. If they make a .357 LCRX I will be at 7 LCRs.

I have heard that, from diehard owners. They want a X version in 357. And I don't blame them. I like the ability of that SA mode.

All of my Airweights have heavy triggers, but all smoothed up after 500 rounds or a tad sooner. But I will take my crappest trigger, 360J (likes like it was thrown together at the bargain bin at SW and spray painted black!), cause at least it's smooth. This trigger is stacking badly and just doesn't feel right.

Lefty

Ramjet-SS
12-02-2016, 10:25 PM
First off what in the sam heck possessed you to buy the 9mm? Moon clips? really? That's the entire issue heck compare the 38 +P and then throw in the 357 with a 125 or 130 grain bullet and there is NO comparison. I have thousands YES thousands of rounds through one of my LCRs. Flawless accurate easy to conceal, easy to carry and the double action is superb for a defensive handgun. Reliable rugged and dependable. Price point is excellent and when carrying this gun you have little idea that it is in your pocket or in a good defensive holster apex carry. Add a laser grip and then the gun really shines (pun intended) as a defensive handgun.

Sorry this is on you.......9MM in snub nose revolver? Really? What did you expect?

The LCR in 38/357 is a well designed well conceived defensive pocket gun that has served me well.

Have you run the Federal HST 147 grain in this gun?

Try some you may change your mind and add a laser. :drinks:

johnson1942
12-02-2016, 10:35 PM
love mine in 38 special and would have nothing else. it is strickly a pocket carry gun. very accurate for me with my small hands.

contender1
12-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Well, love it or hate it,, it all comes down to personal choice.
If a gun doesn't fit a person, then they shouldn't have it.
Personally, I have 38 spl & a 9mm in the LCR. I've not experienced the bad things mentioned above. And we use mine in our WOT clinics.

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 11:41 PM
First off what in the sam heck possessed you to buy the 9mm? Moon clips? really? That's the entire issue heck compare the 38 +P and then throw in the 357 with a 125 or 130 grain bullet and there is NO comparison. I actually like moon clips, they offer a faster reload for those they train with them. I also like the selection of 9mm ammo over 38 ammo. And from a short barrel, the 9mm loses less and has a better "paper stat" than the 38. And 357 is about worthless to me unless it's in a longer barrel, then I would still chooose a 44 caliber over it.

I have thousands YES thousands of rounds through one of my LCRs. Flawless accurate easy to conceal, easy to carry and the double action is superb for a defensive handgun. Reliable rugged and dependable. Wow, just about mirrors my SW's j frames.

Price point is excellent and when carrying this gun you have little idea that it is in your pocket or in a good defensive holster apex carry. around here, SW Airweights go for less than the LCR, and the j frames are a tad smaller and shorter than the LCR. And even though I don't use them as much as I would like to, I like to keep both of my family jewels.

Add a laser grip and then the gun really shines (pun intended) as a defensive handgun. not really a fan of a pocket pistol with gadgets on it. Especially when it's most likely to be used one handed and at contact distances.

Sorry this is on you.......9MM in snub nose revolver? Really? What did you expect? to use a cheaper and common caliber in a familiar platform and one I want to use for concealed carry.

The LCR in 38/357 is a well designed well conceived defensive pocket gun that has served me well. Awesome! Seems like my j frames have served me and will continue to.

Have you run the Federal HST 147 grain in this gun? And the 150gr Mirco Pistol loads, and the Hornady Critical Defense and Duty, Remington +p 124gr Golden Sabers, Remington 115 JHP, Winchester Defend 147gr, Ranger +p+ 127gr. All actually hit very close to POA.

Try some you may change your mind and add a laser. it's an issues of accuracy. It's an issue of the LCR just not being what I thought it was. It's an issue with its horrid trigger. It's all personal, yes. But like I stated in my OP, I just feels like a cap pistol. Glad everyone loves theirs. And if anyone want to trade a LNIB SW 638 or PC 642/442, you can have another one. :)

Lefty Red
12-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Well, love it or hate it,, it all comes down to personal choice.
If a gun doesn't fit a person, then they shouldn't have it.
Personally, I have 38 spl & a 9mm in the LCR. I've not experienced the bad things mentioned above. And we use mine in our WOT clinics.

That is does! I was hoping to expand my choices, but doesn't seem to be the case. My lost ,indeed, when I'm limited on gun choices.

Lefty

retread
12-03-2016, 02:26 AM
Got my wife a 1966 Colt Official Police in 38 Special. Nice revolver. We were at the range with friends and one of the other wives had an LCR in 38 Special. My wife saw it and said to me "Why didn't you buy me one like that, it is nice and small and would be perfect". I told her to ask her friend if she could shoot it. She fired 3 rounds and laid it down and said "I like my Colt much better, it doesn't kick so much and I can hit the target". Duh!

shoot-n-lead
12-03-2016, 03:03 AM
Got my wife a 1966 Colt Official Police in 38 Special. Nice revolver. We were at the range with friends and one of the other wives had an LCR in 38 Special. My wife saw it and said to me "Why didn't you buy me one like that, it is nice and small and would be perfect". I told her to ask her friend if she could shoot it. She fired 3 rounds and laid it down and said "I like my Colt much better, it doesn't kick so much and I can hit the target". Duh!

This demonstrates the difference in individuals...my 21yr old daughter shooters the LCR better than any of my other snubs...and that is with mid-power .357 loads.

Different strokes for different folks.

charlie b
12-03-2016, 09:46 AM
If I wanted a carry revolver I'd take the LCR. I've fired a friend's in .357 While it kicks hard it was accurate and the trigger was appropriate for a carry revolver. It did make my SP101 seem tame and made a full size .357 seem like a pussycat.

It seems to be a perfect TOOL for the job. I'd not want it for regular shooting at the range, but, I never considered my SP101 to be a good range gun either. I only put enough rounds through the SP101 to stay proficient. If I want range time I use my full size .357's.

Having said that, my main carry gun is a Colt light Commander in .45 :) If I want small I carry a Makarov.

contender1
12-03-2016, 10:53 AM
I think Lefty got my point.
Nobody is going to like all the guns all the time. No one gun fits everybody. I,,, like so many others have MY preferences, and what fits ME. It's just that what I like may not be for anybody else. That's why there are so many different models, as well as so many custom gunsmiths in business.
It is why we TRY HARD to get folks in our training clinics to understand they need to shoot & feel a gun BEFORE buying one. And we stress the fact of a grip replacement can make a lot of difference. That & how accessories can make the gun more to their liking.
We have many gun makers out there. They all make different models. Some SEEM similar,,, yet feel totally different. I'm a die-hard Ruger fan,,, BUT,,,, BUT,,, I own other brands as well. It's all in what you desire in a gun, as well as what it feels like & how it shoots for YOU!

Lefty Red
12-03-2016, 03:56 PM
I think Lefty got my point.
Nobody is going to like all the guns all the time. No one gun fits everybody. I,,, like so many others have MY preferences, and what fits ME. It's just that what I like may not be for anybody else. That's why there are so many different models, as well as so many custom gunsmiths in business.
It is why we TRY HARD to get folks in our training clinics to understand they need to shoot & feel a gun BEFORE buying one. And we stress the fact of a grip replacement can make a lot of difference. That & how accessories can make the gun more to their liking.
We have many gun makers out there. They all make different models. Some SEEM similar,,, yet feel totally different. I'm a die-hard Ruger fan,,, BUT,,,, BUT,,, I own other brands as well. It's all in what you desire in a gun, as well as what it feels like & how it shoots for YOU!

So true! And a little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me to try a different grip, but the limited selection for the LCR is hindering.

Oh well, life goes on.

BTW, picked the gun up from the gun smith and nothing it wrong, so don't know that to do know.

Did see a "cooper washed" cylinder on a 38 LCRX today at the gunshop. Cool looking.

Lefty

dverna
12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
If they made the LCRx in 9mm, I would own one in an instant

Don Verna

Bigslug
12-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Nope. They sure aren't a J-frame, or an SP-101, for that matter.

Moon clips? Meh. Especially for a snubbie. For a duty/belt-carry gun where they live protected in a pouch, OK, but how do you pack 'em for a CCW pocket piece? You can sit comfortably on a pair of speed strips fairly well - speed loaders and moon clips, not so much. . .and you'd have to worry about bending your moon clip if you did. I've tried hard to warm up to mooners, but between loading/unloading tools with the old S&W style and simply needing to keep track of the darn things, I just can't do it.

Now the real question for all us casters: Did Ruger give it a .355-compatible bore and cylinder throats, or did they retask .358" components?

historicfirearms
12-03-2016, 04:55 PM
I tried one in 357 for a week. It was the worst revolver I have ever owned, and I've owned hundreds over the years. The thing felt CHEAP. The cylinder would come unlocked and spin back one about every other cylinder full. The trigger was only the second worst on a revolver, behind my nagant. For about the same price, one of the cheap J frames is a much better gun.

Walkingwolf
12-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Dumped the other three

IMO 15 pound pull is good, that was standard for S&W, and Colt revolvers. My wife carries a Colt Police Positive with a 17 pound pull, and she is a small 60 year old woman.

Lefty Red
12-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Let a another shooter friend handle it and fire twenty rounds from it today. He commented that it doesn't stage like a SW. And I think that it why I don't like it. Maybe some more trigger time, but don't know. Still want that 9mm option.

Lefty

Multigunner
12-03-2016, 07:14 PM
For my Airweight in .38 Special I used mauser stripper clips as speed strips before the speed strip ever showed up on the market far as I know. The mauser clips hold 5 .38/.357 sized cartridges. I now use the same stripper clips with the side tabs of the springs ground off and the body squeezed in a vice to carry six .32 Longs for my I frame hand ejector.

I would not mind having a 9mm revolver, only because I already have a 9X19 S&W Mod 59 so I would in theory only have to keep one type of ammo around to use in either. Really though the .38 Special is so easy to reload its a much better choice for a revolver, same goes for the .357.
A spare cylinder to allow use of either type 9mm or .38/.357 cartridge would be a good compromise.

Another possible combo would be a cheap nightstand pistol that could use either .38 S&W or 9.3 Makarov ammo, bore size being fairly close. A third cylinder allowing use as a .36 Cap&Ball would make shooting practice very cheap.

Mtnfolk75
12-03-2016, 07:32 PM
I agree with the One Gun doesn't fit all replies, that said ... I bought an LCR in 9mm on 8-11-15. It has been carried and shot a bunch since then, after the 1st 250 round range trip I bought another for my son on 9-11-15. Both have the Hogue G10 grip and XS Standard Dot Nite Front Sights, both have been vetted to work without Moonclips to the tune of about 150 rounds apiece now. I purchased Speed Strips for the 327 Federal and they work and carry well, although I do keep a Moonclip in my truck console & in my right Jacket or Vest pocket if wearing a cover garment. The LCR is carried in a Round Bottom Mika in my right front jeans pocket or if in sweats in a Bellyband. A Speed Strip rides in the Watch/Coin pocket of jeans or in my right front pocket in the fold of a hanky in my right sweats pocket. Mine has north of 1k rounds down tube with no malfunctions, the trigger has gotten smoother with use. FWIW, I carried J's for years in the same way and do agree that the triggers are different, not worse ..... just different. My female next door neighbor was really impressed with mine and ultimately bought one to carry as her CCW, she is happy and has no complaints. Also, for the record .... SWMBO has shot & carried it some. She does well with it but prefers her G26 ....... :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
12-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I like the idea of a 9mm snubby. I like any moon clip gun. You have 38 spec power levels and much faster reloads. Whats not to like. I don't like the ruger but my dislike doesn't come from shooting one. I just think there but ugly. Sorry fans but to me there to ugly to own.

charlie b
12-04-2016, 09:01 AM
ROFLMAO.

If I gave up every gun I thought was ugly I'd end up left with 2. My Lyman Great Plains rifle and the Python. I don't have nor have I owned any other gun I thought was pretty. Since I've owned over 100 off and on over the years I've had quite a selection.

I select a gun for the job it will do, not looks. That's also why I will put rubber grips on a pistol and plastic stocks on rifles.

The guns go in a cabinet or holster, not on the wall.

dverna
12-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Lloyd,
The 9 mm is superior to a .38+P. It runs at higher pressure and that is why the LCR in 9mm uses a steel cylinder.

Don Verna

winelover
12-04-2016, 09:35 AM
The LCR can be compared to the song: If you want to be happy for the rest of you life......make an ugly woman your wife.........cause she sure can cook.

I own three S&W J-frames, one being a Talo Edition, and they all pale in comparison to the LCR. The Ruger has a much better DAO trigger and vastly improved sights. And if you opt for the 357 version, a more potent and versatile carry option, at the cost of a few more ounces. BTW, the 9mm version actually weighs .1 ounce more.

My 9mm carry option is a Beretta Nano ..... one of the lightest of the sub-compacts. Loaded or unloaded it is still heavier than the 357 LCR.

Winelover

Lefty Red
12-04-2016, 11:28 AM
The LCR can be compared to the song: If you want to be happy for the rest of you life......make an ugly woman your wife.........cause she sure can cook.Very good comparison. :)

I own three S&W J-frames, one being a Talo Edition, and they all pale in comparison to the LCR.) Pretty bold statement, I have shot a few performance center versions of the j frame (the 640 being my favorite) but everyone has different tastes.

The Ruger has a much better DAO trigger and vastly improved sights. I agree on the sights. Except for my 360J, I can't replace the sights on any of the standard versions of the 6series j frames. I put a Hi Viz sight on the LCR in like five minutes.

And if you opt for the 357 version, a more potent and versatile carry option, at the cost of a few more ounces. BTW, the 9mm version actually weighs .1 ounce more. I doubt the 357 is more versatile. Unless you add 38 in the mix. I'm one that does not get a 357 to just shoot 38s out of it, it's a PITA to clean if you actually train as you carry. Plus I'm way faster on that second shot with either the 9mm or 38. I can use a 357 in a snubnose, but I kind of like to put the bullets where I want them. If I was going to a 357 option then a SP101 or M60 or M640 a steel framed snubnose is what I would use. BTW, the 9mm and 357 versions of the LCRs weight the same, since they are both on steel housings and cylinders instead of an aluminum housing like the 38s. I think the "heavier" versions feel more like a j frame and less like a cap pistol. But the lighter LCRs do have a niche for those not wanting to spend for the very light weight 3series of j frames. Just at the cost of more polymer over alloy.

My 9mm carry option is a Beretta Nano ..... one of the lightest of the sub-compacts. Loaded or unloaded it is still heavier than the 357 LCR. My carry 9mm is a Sig P938. The best option for me. But not an option for pocket carry, for me. I normally pocket carry a snubnose, or should I say a light snubnose since my SP101 is belt carry.

Winelover ​Lefty in purple.

Lefty Red
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Nope. They sure aren't a J-frame, or an SP-101, for that matter.

Moon clips? Meh. Especially for a snubbie. For a duty/belt-carry gun where they live protected in a pouch, OK, but how do you pack 'em for a CCW pocket piece? You can sit comfortably on a pair of speed strips fairly well - speed loaders and moon clips, not so much. . .and you'd have to worry about bending your moon clip if you did. I've tried hard to warm up to mooners, but between loading/unloading tools with the old S&W style and simply needing to keep track of the darn things, I just can't do it.

Now the real question for all us casters: Did Ruger give it a .355-compatible bore and cylinder throats, or did they retask .358" components?

i will carry them in a single speedloader pouch on my belt. Or looking for a multi tool or knife case. I can fit two fitted in the one case, one on top of the other.

I have thrown two moon clips in my pockets of my jeans and sweats and have yet to bend one in a week. Not the longest test, but it has calmed my fears. The moonclips are pretty stout! I think they would go into my flesh before they bend! So another option is to drop a couple in my coat or outer shirt breast pocket. I carried moon clips for a 1917 in my pockets all day long on the ranch and farm and don't remember having lost one due to bending. Did have one bend, full moon, when I fell from atop a hay wagon, but that fall would have bent a magazine too! :) Hit my left front pocket area on the fender going down. Cut my pants pocket and my thigh, ouch! Re bent it straight on a vise when we got back home for the night. The damn things are like throwing stars!

But for belt carry, I like a single lightweight speedloader pouch on my belt. Maybe in front of my main carry or in front the of LCR when I belt carry. Will look for the "perfect" carry pouch, it's out there.

In a perfect world, there would be six shot snubnoses and I could use half moon clips and just throw them in a small dump pouch. But haven't seen a Speed Six in awhile. :)

Lefty

Lefty Red
12-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Question. Has anyone ACTUALLY used a moonclip until it was bent?
Not heard it from someone.
Not was told by a gun expert.
And can anyone ACTUALLY produce an article where a moonclip caused a malfunction in a citizen shooting?

Reason I ask is because I have used full and half moon clips and have talked to several vet that have use them in war time, WW2/Korea/Vietnam. And I haven't heard of it. So wondering where this stuff is coming from.

bedbugbilly
12-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Lefty - First I'll state that I have owned and do own a lot of different Ruger handguns and I like Rugers in general most well built and good customer service. Having said that . . .

Probably eight years ago I was looking for a lightweight snub for CCW. I wanted a Smith Model 60 but couldn't locate one. I ended up looking at the Smith "Bodyguard" revolver and the LCR. The Bodyguard just didn't fit my hand well so I opted for the LCR in .357. My feelings on mine are this . . . it was ugly but served the purpose. Trigger pull was stiff but doable on you got used to the requirement for the full return of the trigger. .357? I thinkI shot a half a box through it and decided that it would be 38 Specials only out of mine. My older hands couldn't take the punishment. At SD range, it was accurate enough but I still had many of the feelings that you had towards yours.

A lot of folks like the LCR and that's great. It's all up to the individual as to what works for them - some like Fords, some like Chevy. I kept my eyes open and finally ran across a nice Smith Model 36 snub. I bought it - my first J frame. I shot it, I loved it. I put a set of Pachmyer (sp?) combat grips on it and I can shoot it all day with no ill effect on my hands. In fact, I liked it so much, when I ran across a Model 36 with a 3" barrel I snatched it up.

I love my Model 36 J frame . . . the LCR? I guess I just "liked" it but not enough to keep it. I traded it off for a new 9mm Shield. The model 36 is still my favorite for EDC and I use a Fobus holster OTB. A little heavier than the LCR but 36 carries great for me in the Fobus. I admit that I am now loving the Shield as well and I switch off but the J frame will always be a favorite of mine. A shirt tail or a jacket conceals it well.

The LCR serves many folks well in a variety of calibers but personally, I'll probably never have another one. Maybe it's because I'm "old" and much prefer the more vintage style of wheel guns but side by side, I think a good Smith beats the LCR handguns. But as Louis Sullivan said, "Form follows function". But then again, my other "favorites" are my Combat Masterpiece and my 65 year old M & P. :-)

rintinglen
12-04-2016, 01:14 PM
I own a bunch of Snubnose 38's, Smith's, Colt's and a Ruger. I shoot them pretty well. I do not own an LCR. I do not shoot them very well. (plus they are Ugly)
Somebody else can marry, err carry, them.

Uncle R.
12-04-2016, 01:46 PM
When I was shopping for a CCW snubby a few years ago I had a salesman in one gun shop pushing the LCR pretty aggresively. I had to admit they seemed practical - light weight and inexpensive. I didn't like the trigger even though it was light and smooth. It didn't stack like the S&W triggers I cut my teeth on, and felt - well - like a toy cap gun to me. Mostly I couldn't get past the butt-ugly appearance. I know that sounds silly for a carry gun, but it was a factor nevertheless.

I wound up with a 642 that I like very much. Light weight, reliable, and surprisingly accurate for me with a trigger that feels right. My Speed Strips don't offer a blazingly fast reload, but they sure lay flat in your pocket and conceal well. I think of them as more of anti-rattle and anti-fumble protection than as speed loaders.

I have a couple of serious fighting pistols that were purchased with EDC in mind, but they don't seem to get out much. That little 642 was supposed to be my BUG but it's become my EDC gun instead because it's so light and conceals so well. It's not what I would choose if I knew I was walking into a fight, but I live and work in very genteel areas with low crime. Even so, if those long odds went against me and I found myself in danger I am far from unarmed with that 642 in my hands.

These days I generally only carry the bigger pistols when I'm forced to go into the city for some reason, or when cold weather and warm coat makes concealing them easier.

Uncle R.

35remington
12-04-2016, 07:02 PM
I"ve bent many a moon clip to the point of misfiring. Carrying them in a pocket is more problematic than needed given what we bump into and sit on. In terms of durability a piece of thin sheet metal that is clipped to ammo that can bend it if is dropped is not good. The ammo acts as a leverage arm to potentially bend the clip when pressure, weight or impact is applied.

The moon clip user user must be vigilant to problems by regularly inspecting carried clips and hope the clip is functional when needed.

I have more than once sat on my HKS speedloaders with my 246 pounds and nothing has ever happened to them. Not smart, but sometimes I forgot where they were in the midst of doing something else.

Personal bias here, but I regard a 9mm revolver as overly heavy and inherently less reliable as compared to an aluminum .38. Available Plus P .38 loads give equivalency in energy to the 9mm yet with heavier bullets. See Buffalo Bore. Or 158 SWC/6.0 Power Pistol.

Ramjet-SS
12-04-2016, 07:47 PM
First off what in the sam heck possessed you to buy the 9mm? Moon clips? really? That's the entire issue heck compare the 38 +P and then throw in the 357 with a 125 or 130 grain bullet and there is NO comparison. I actually like moon clips, they offer a faster reload for those they train with them. I also like the selection of 9mm ammo over 38 ammo. And from a short barrel, the 9mm loses less and has a better "paper stat" than the 38. And 357 is about worthless to me unless it's in a longer barrel, then I would still chooose a 44 caliber over it.

I have thousands YES thousands of rounds through one of my LCRs. Flawless accurate easy to conceal, easy to carry and the double action is superb for a defensive handgun. Reliable rugged and dependable. Wow, just about mirrors my SW's j frames.

Price point is excellent and when carrying this gun you have little idea that it is in your pocket or in a good defensive holster apex carry. around here, SW Airweights go for less than the LCR, and the j frames are a tad smaller and shorter than the LCR. And even though I don't use them as much as I would like to, I like to keep both of my family jewels.

Add a laser grip and then the gun really shines (pun intended) as a defensive handgun. not really a fan of a pocket pistol with gadgets on it. Especially when it's most likely to be used one handed and at contact distances.

Sorry this is on you.......9MM in snub nose revolver? Really? What did you expect? to use a cheaper and common caliber in a familiar platform and one I want to use for concealed carry.

The LCR in 38/357 is a well designed well conceived defensive pocket gun that has served me well. Awesome! Seems like my j frames have served me and will continue to.

Have you run the Federal HST 147 grain in this gun? And the 150gr Mirco Pistol loads, and the Hornady Critical Defense and Duty, Remington +p 124gr Golden Sabers, Remington 115 JHP, Winchester Defend 147gr, Ranger +p+ 127gr. All actually hit very close to POA.

Try some you may change your mind and add a laser. it's an issues of accuracy. It's an issue of the LCR just not being what I thought it was. It's an issue with its horrid trigger. It's all personal, yes. But like I stated in my OP, I just feels like a cap pistol. Glad everyone loves theirs. And if anyone want to trade a LNIB SW 638 or PC 642/442, you can have another one. :)

He he he well did you buy one?

If not then you can save some money. If you did well that's the way it goes.

By the way Laser grips are an excellent add on to a defensive pistol. If you are in a bad position because the fight has put you there having the laser to get on the threat is an excellent tool. Just saying they have there place and are really not a "gadget" as you discribed or I interpreted?

By the way the light weight J frames sell for less because in 357 or 38 are very difficult to shoot well for most people. They are like this because they do not have enough range time to learn how to shoot them. I had S&W scandium it was a absolute terrible gun to shoot with 357 mag ammo.

44 mag as a defensive pistol in a high pressure situation;:Fire: funny.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 12:52 AM
I"ve bent many a moon clip to the point of misfiring. Carrying them in a pocket is more problematic than needed given what we bump into and sit on. In terms of durability a piece of thin sheet metal that is clipped to ammo that can bend it if is dropped is not good. The ammo acts as a leverage arm to potentially bend the clip when pressure, weight or impact is applied.

The moon clip user user must be vigilant to problems by regularly inspecting carried clips and hope the clip is functional when needed.

I have more than once sat on my HKS speedloaders with my 246 pounds and nothing has ever happened to them. Not smart, but sometimes I forgot where they were in the midst of doing something else.

Personal bias here, but I regard a 9mm revolver as overly heavy and inherently less reliable as compared to an aluminum .38. Available Plus P .38 loads give equivalency in energy to the 9mm yet with heavier bullets. See Buffalo Bore. Or 158 SWC/6.0 Power Pistol.

you are the first person I know of they has actually had one do this, personally.

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2016, 06:27 AM
used moon clip guns for near 40 years now and never bent one or had any problem I could blame on a clip. That includes even the very thin ones that you need to use a a redhawk custom cut for moon clips. they use a milled down smith model 25 clip. I guess you could bend one if you really tried but your not going to do it with normal handling. Even if one did get bent it would be caught way before I put it in my pocket to protect my life. Even the ammo I use for that purpose is loaded with a bit more care then target ammo. I also check out a gun before I stick it in my pocket. Like you I will say I never even heard of a case where a clip caused trouble in a shootout. Some of the best combat shooters in the country like clip guns. Clint smith for one. I have fumbled around with speed loaders when shooting ppc. Its why most use the large competition speed loaders. There a lot more positive in completion but are to large to carry on a daily basis and bottom line even they are slower then moon clips.
Question. Has anyone ACTUALLY used a moonclip until it was bent?
Not heard it from someone.
Not was told by a gun expert.
And can anyone ACTUALLY produce an article where a moonclip caused a malfunction in a citizen shooting?

Reason I ask is because I have used full and half moon clips and have talked to several vet that have use them in war time, WW2/Korea/Vietnam. And I haven't heard of it. So wondering where this stuff is coming from.

winelover
12-05-2016, 08:14 AM
And if you opt for the 357 version, a more potent and versatile carry option, at the cost of a few more ounces. BTW, the 9mm version actually weighs .1 ounce more. I doubt the 357 is more versatile. Unless you add 38 in the mix. I'm one that does not get a 357 to just shoot 38s out of it, it's a PITA to clean if you actually train as you carry. Plus I'm way faster on that second shot with either the 9mm or 38. I can use a 357 in a snubnose, but I kind of like to put the bullets where I want them. If I was going to a 357 option then a SP101 or M60 or M640 a steel framed snubnose is what I would use. BTW, the 9mm and 357 versions of the LCRs weight the same, since they are both on steel housings and cylinders instead of an aluminum housing like the 38s. I think the "heavier" versions feel more like a j frame and less like a cap pistol. But the lighter LCRs do have a niche for those not wanting to spend for the very light weight 3series of j frames. Just at the cost of more polymer over alloy.

Better go and check Ruger's site and then tell them the have the weights wrong. :roll:

Not an issue shooting 38's in a 357......I clean my revolvers after every shooting/practice session. If your still concerned with that wives tale, load 357 brass to 38 Special velocities. If you can't put bullets where you want them......time to invest in a set of Lasergrips and more practice.:Fire:

Winelover ​Lefty in purple.

Winelover in red

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 08:37 AM
He he he well did you buy one? Yes, it's in the OP

If not then you can save some money. If you did well that's the way it goes.

By the way Laser grips are an excellent add on to a defensive pistol. If you are in a bad position because the fight has put you there having the laser to get on the threat is an excellent tool. Just saying they have there place and are really not a "gadget" as you discribed or I interpreted. I personally cant think of a situation where a laser on a small 380 or 38 j frame is better over the natural point shooting I've done. Now on a more steady platform like a full sized duty pistol, I think they are the stuff. A laser on such a small weapon is good for training and steadying the sights. And are awesome on a large weapon. But no I don't use them on a light weight, medium caliber, short barrel pocket pistol. Although I could see where a Crimson Trace grip laser is pretty cool. My use of lasers and lights on weapon come from military and corrections CQB and TRT training. I personally settle on a good light only, on my larger carry weapon over a laser only. Majority I have used had the more intense "circle" of light pretty much where my POI was. I just use it. Gives me lighting and a sighting aid. Most times a laser is bouncing around when your moving and searching and breathing hard. And gives the target a better idea where you are over short flash of light. They have their place, but for me just doesn't work on the type of weapon I use for pocket carry. Although a SW TRT-8 is on my wish list! :)

By the way the light weight J frames sell for less because in 357 or 38 are very difficult to shoot well for most people. They are like this because they do not have enough range time to learn how to shoot them. I had S&W scandium it was a absolute terrible gun to shoot with 357 mag ammo. The scandium, 3 Series in SW product line, have a great trigger for the most part. And they should for the price! When you get down to 12 ounces, you really push the limits of even shooting target loads. But you are more likely to carry it. And these "3's" were really marketed as ankle weapons or BUG WEAPONS FOR LEOs. i remember the first time I shot one. First time I ever had a weapon turn around completely in my hand and was pointing at me! I thought I broke my finger from the recoil. And that was with a LEO/low flash/med loading of a 125gr JHP. Swithed to my right hand and finished shooting the over four to save face. My "spread" was decent, but not what I would call good. Now in 38 +p or standard velocity, they are on par with the cheaper and heavier 6 series (642/637/638/442) or I should say Airweights since the 442 disproves my "6" theory. :) but with the extra three ounces you get a much shootable weapon. Just like you said, it's terrible to shoot 357 Magnum in any of these pistols. I think it's ego more than usability. I personally won't carry a 357 under 25 ounces, like my SP101. I can actually put a 357 where I want to with this weapon type. So one more reason I don't get a 357 in anything other than an all steel revolver. I would rather be able to but a 38 WC in the target's optical area than a 357 in the foot.

44 mag as a defensive pistol in a high pressure situation;:Fire: funny. It is! And would love to have a 44special snubnose that isn't a Charter Arms.

Lefty in Blue

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Winelover in red

LOL, I missed it by .1 ounce! LOL
Sure that 0.1 will be nulled when it's loaded with the longer and heavier 357 brass vs the smaller and lighter brass of the 9mm.

If it's an ole wives tale then why do you clean your cylinders after every time you shoot 38s in your 357? :)

I do shoot lower power loads in my 357s, it's just that my 44s have replaced most of my full sized 357s. I find i like the higher power and lower noise, the 44 offers over the 357. So I can say I shoot a 44 special loading in my 44 Magnum. But that is because I don't have any 44 special brass. But I have buckets of 38 brass and very few 357s. So since I have no need for a 357, I will just keep shooting 38s and put magnums in my 44s.

Lasergrips have a place in training, and I'm pretty much pass that. But you have to try to slam me because because I actually admit I can't put five 357 loaded rounds in a scanduim revolver, weighing 12/13 ounces, in a B27 size target at 7 yard one handed and in rapid fire. I doubt any amount of training with full bore ammo will correct this. And just lead to nerve and tissue damage in my hands. I would rather be able to use +p+ 38 or 357 ammo in my SP101 weighting 27 ounces because I can put those rounds in any target I can correctly aim at. It's more about common sense and end results over egos. Now my SW 360J has a hammer and is about 13 ounces and I can put factory Hornady Critial Defense rounds in a cluster at 7 yards acting like a bullseye shooter and in SA. Same with Winchester LWC I normally carry in my pocket j frame. But I practice in DA cause that is what I would think I would use in a defense situation. So if I can't shoot my EDC pistol to the accuracy that is safe to me and the public but strokes my ego, then I shouldn't be carrying. Safety should always trump ego.

Lefty

35remington
12-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Walk around with a moon clip in your pocket and they will eventually get bent is my repeated experience, but then I do not sit at a desk all day.

Sit on them and they are done. Sit on an HKS speedloader, no problem. Misfire causing bends in moonclips are hard to see....until they misfire. Careful frequent inspection is a non negotiable requirement, and if you bend them just before you need them no check is possible.

Not interested in a little metal clip that detracts from revolver reliability. Adding a loose bendable piece of metal to the headspacing equation never ever improves or beningly facilitates revolver reliability. In actual use it is a likely route for failure to fire or a jam. Especially for the pocket carried reload.

Not for me when there are such downsides. A moonclipped assemblage of rounds is far more fragile than a speedloader or even an autoloader magazine. Carrying such a bendable fragile assemblage in one's pocket is too much of a risk in my experience. I would be more foolish than I am if I did not learn from my past experiences.

35remington
12-05-2016, 10:39 AM
For those of you "less experienced" moon clip lovers, a misfire occurs with a single bent clip finger and the round misfires due to the bent area cushioning the blow of the firing pin.

If you can do it safely, ensure the gun will fire with it pointed upward when moon clips are used. The firing pin must shove several rounds forward to the headspace stop (not just one) to fire the gun in such a situation since they are clipped together. The additional weight cushions the blow of the pin such that it may misfire. The heavier the rounds the more likely to occur.

Never think you'll have to fire with the gun pointing at an upward angle? Guess again. You may be knocked to the ground in a scuffle, or have to fire from low cover.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Walk around with a moon clip in your pocket and they will eventually get bent is
my repeated experience, but then I do not sit at a desk all day. Sit on them and they are done. Sit on an HKS speedloader, no problem. Misfire causing bends in moonclips are hard to see....until they misfire. Careful frequent inspection is a non negotiable requirement, and if you bend them just before you need them no check is possible.

Not interested in a little metal clip that detracts from revolver reliability. Adding a loose bendable piece of metal to the headspacing equation never ever improves or
beningly facilitates revolver reliability. In actual use it is a likely route for failure to fire or
a jam. Especially for the pocket carried reload.

Not for me when there are such downsides. A moonclipped assemblage of rounds is far more fragile than a speedloader or even an autoloader magazine. Carrying such a bendable fragile assemblage in one's pocket is too much of a risk in my experience. I would be more foolish than I am if I did not learn from my past experiences.

Execpt for you are the only person, from the several LEOs and service members that have used them i have ever heard of this happening to. I got more complaints from magazines with bent lips and speedloaders with "gunk" jamming the release.

If its not for you, I respect that. But the other stuff is just your "what if's"

Lefty

35remington
12-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Not "what ifs."

Actual occurrences. I mention actual events that occurred, not theory. That is why I am so adamant about it. Theory don't deserve this amount of ink. Actual events do.

That moonclips are more fragile than speedloaders and magazines is absolutely incontestable. I can easily bend them with my fingers. A reliability enhancement for revolvers they are not. Rather like claiming aluminum U joints are as good as steel ones.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 11:25 AM
And I don't know how this thread got on to lasers on small pocket pistols. But my thoughts are this, good for practicing trigger pull while dryfiring at the walkers on TWD. Bad on a pocket pistol when carrying. Adds bulk and weight. Guess you can move it to your belt for carry, but then you can carrry a bigger weapon.

If you wanting to add bulk and weight to aid in shooting, add a bigger stock/grip. Will be a better add on and help with groups way better than a sighting aid.

And i respect everyones opinions. That is why I posted this here. But if you don't have any actual events to back up your opinion, don't get mad if a don't give it anymore thought. You carry how and what you want and I will do the same. I can change my way of doing things and thinking if the different view is backed by actual fact. One reason I'm so into snubnoses. Don't see a situation that they can't get me out of. If my movie/fanasty thinking kicks in, then I would have to have a full pack and SAW if I go anywhere. Plus I shoot snubs and single stacks way better than any polymer double stacks. Just blessed I guess. :)

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Not "what ifs."

Actual occurrences. I mention actual events that occurred, not theory. That is why I am so adamant about it. Theory don't deserve this amount of ink. Actual events do.

That moonclips are more fragile than speedloaders and magazines is absolutely incontestable. I can easily bend them with my fingers. A reliability enhancement for revolvers they are not. Rather like claiming aluminum U joints are as good as steel ones.

35, I respect your views. But I'm not seeing the same results with others I have talked to that have carried moon clips on a daily schedule. No need to go to a completely different discussion about something completely different.

Thank you for your input input and time in this matter.

Lefty

35remington
12-05-2016, 12:54 PM
A carry gun is a personal choice, and I am not offended if someone wants to carry a moonclipped revolver. However, my real life, actual experience with them is intended as a cautionary tale to be taken as advice to at least be considered for those that do carry them.

Which is:

Do not take it for granted that thin sheet metal cannot bend and cause problems. Also acknowledge the potential for poor headspacing and misfires if there is slack and the firing pin has to drag adjacent rounds forward to set off the struck round.

Real life issues and actual factual experience. From a guy that has likely more extensive experience with moonclips than some of your other sources. Not all that astonishing to discover that very thin sheet metal can bend, or that an angled upward revolver can have misfire inducing headspace slack.

shoot-n-lead
12-05-2016, 01:11 PM
The moonclip thing has gone on for years, and not just about this revolver...they do get bent over time if just dropped in your pocket. I read the review of this revolver, by Mas Ayoob when it came out and he mentioned this very thing, about moonclips...I suppose he might be a credible reference on this.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/12/massad-ayoob-looks-ruger-lcr-9mm/#ruger-lcr-9mm-4

The important thing is reliability, and like .38 LCRs I’ve tested in the past, the 9mm LCR was 100-percent reliable. The moon clips give this five-shot revolver the fastest possible reload, though we always have to worry about whether the clips will get bent and jam the gun. That depends on how they’re carried, and it’s hard to find compact moon-clip carriers that keep them from getting bent the way they can in a pocket.

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
ill will concede the fact that it IS POSSIBLE to bend a clip and it is POSSIBLE for it to happen in your pocket but it also is possible to have a dud primer, forget a powder charge, or get hit by lightning. I too never worked behind a desk and I think you know I shoot my guns and carry them under a lot of varying conditions and its yet to happen to me. So I guess ill still carry them and walk outside when the clouds are dark. :coffeecom
35, I respect your views. But I'm not seeing the same results with others I have talked to that have carried moon clips on a daily schedule. No need to go to a completely different discussion about something completely different.

Thank you for your input input and time in this matter.

Lefty

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Like is said, everyone had mentioned it. But I can't find NOONE THAT HAS ACTUALLY CARRIED ON A DAILY SCHEDULE THAT HAS ACTUALLY HAD IT HAPPEN.

i respect Mr Ayoob's thoughts on it. I have shot with him, and doubt he remembers it. But listened to him and others and learned allot. But I'm always looking for real world advice. And I will take a person's real experience over "What ifs". Magaizines can just pocket funk in them and jam. Speedloaders can get engaged and empty in the pocket. Things can happen. But if I wa worried about "what ifs" I doubt I would go out of the house due to fear. It's about balances. Mr Ayoob has enough money to carry the finest weapons around with companies throwing the most expensive and best ammo at him to use and carry. I'm a divorced guy trying to keep the ex in the life style the court said she she be accustom to and supporting my son. I try to shoot and carry the best I can afford. If I can narrow those done to a couple calibers, it's better for me. Mr Ayoob can afford to carry ten weapons in nine different calibers, I can't.

BTW, Mr Ayoob is a big critic of personally reloaded ammo for self defense. We disagree on this too. No one can produce any case file where the ammo had any effect in a good shoot situtation. But that is another divided issue and even longer thread.

35remington
12-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Some events are more possible than others. Of such is risk assessment made. One guy's "possible" is another guy's "likely."

If you are the rough and tumble type and not given to periodic equipment checks I would suggest that a rimmed cartridge firing revolver is more suitable for you.

Lefty, you found me.

Can't say "you've found no one that actually had it happen" any more.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Thinking of starting a less controversial thread like 38 vs 380 or hollowpoints vs soft casted. :)

Walkingwolf
12-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Thinking of starting a less controversial thread like 38 vs 380 or hollowpoints vs soft casted. :)

Don't forget factory vs handload, or the famous 9mm vs 40S&W.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I did get another 300 rounds through the LCR yesterday and today. Pretty good feat with just 15 moon clips

like exspected, I'm getting better at the trigger and groups are on par with j frames. Hi Viz replacement front sight helped ALOT! And the Hogue Boot Grip is actually not bad. Still not as refined as the j frames, but is filling a niche........for now. Or until a 940 is laying around the Performance Center at a very reduced price.

35remington
12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
"soft cast" is the correct terminology.

"Casted" is not a word

Now I am yanking your chain. But it still is advice that is correct!!! Lol.

Lefty Red
12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Some events are more possible than others. Of such is risk assessment made. One guy's "possible" is another guy's "likely."

If you are the rough and tumble type and not given to periodic equipment checks I would suggest that a rimmed cartridge firing revolver is more suitable for you.

Lefty, you found me.

Can't say "you've found no one that actually had it happen" any more.

Yes I have, someone on the internet. I have talked to actual combet vets and LEOs that I know and know they have carried these type of weapons and have used them. So don't take it too hard if I don't take your advice or hold it to the same value as those I know.

Thank you for the suggestions as well.

Lefty

35remington
12-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Well, I am in good company, as the caution about moon clips being a source of misfiring is well known and widely stated, often by those with "real" experience. Do with said advice what you will.

Can't help but wonder what "combat vet" would have an opportunity to use a moonclipped revolver in combat. I thought issue arms were M4's and M9's. Even LEO's old enough to use a wheelgun, let alone a moon clipped wheelgun, must be scarcer than hen's teeth.

I presume you are talking about ex LEO's and ex combat vets who conceal carry. Shootings are relatively few amongst those types. Very rare, actually.

I am simply a humble guy that was cheeky enough to simply drop a moon clip or two in a pocket when going on trips afield.....and noticed they got bent once in a while. And noticed if the gun was angled up occasionally it would misfire.

So I am not passing myself off as a combat vet or LEO that has shot dozens of perps. Just a guy that carries moonclips in a pocket and shoots such revolvers a lot.

Just clarifying my perspective.

shooting on a shoestring
12-05-2016, 09:34 PM
One more count of a bent moon clip here.

in the brief time I owned a 45 Colt / 45 ACP Redhawk, I bent a loaded moon clip enough I couldn't load it in the revolver just by carrying it loaded in my pocket. Now sure it wasn't a true moon clip, it was a six shot star clip being called a moon, and those are fragile enough to be bent by hand.

Personally that gun quickly quenched my thirst for a moon clip gun. Haven't missed it, won't replace it. For those that do enjoy moon clips...I'm glad for you and glad it's not me.

Art in Colorado
12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
I had one. And let me say I have shot many much more powerfull hand guns in my life.Some very hard kicking. The LCR in 38 special was the most un-comfortable hand gun I have ever fired. Maybe it was my extra large hands. Sent it down the road as fast as I could. The lite weight S&W J frames in 38+P are not anything like the LCP. Just my 2 cents.

johniv
12-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Add one more for a bent moon clip this was with .45 cal in 1917 S&W and Colt, don't know if a moon clip for a 9mm would be more or less liable to bend. Aside from that I like a revolver because it is not dependent on a magazine or clip . To me using a clip in a revolver is a "great leap backward" or more properly stated using a revolver that HAS TO HAVE a clip, is far more trouble than it is worth. I know you can reload faster with the clip, but the important (to me) part of a pocket gun happens before you have to reload. Is it possible to fire the 9MM LCR without the clip?
John

kingstrider
12-06-2016, 07:21 AM
A lot of people love them but I have never shot or even handled one. Too ugly to even look at in the store but some people swear by them.

winelover
12-06-2016, 08:07 AM
LOL, I missed it by .1 ounce! LOL

If it's an ole wives tale then why do you clean your cylinders after every time you shoot 38s in your 357? :)

I clearly stated there was .1 ounce difference in my first response, but you contradicted it.:-?

There are other reasons to clean revolver cylinders.....the main one being to remove unburnt powder granules that can get under the star extractor and tie up the revolver.

Winelover

Mtnfolk75
12-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Is it possible to fire the 9MM LCR without the clip?
John

My two will, they have been shot with out Moons about 150 rounds each with zero malfunctions or problems. IIRC, several times it was 3 & 4 Cylinders Full fired in a row. I have satisfied my question of Defense Reliability, BTW they are cleaned and lubed after every outing as well as weekly due to being pocket carried.

EDIT: I always carry a spare reload in a Speed Strip plus another in a Moonclip when I can, also carry a Moonclip in the console of my truck.

rfd
12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
interesting thread, i think. been researching for a potential snub .38 carry, and tempted by the LCRX. had a few other rugers revs and all were good 'n' tough buggers.

mcdaniel.mac
12-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I previously owned and LCR in .38Spl and .22LR. The .22 I didn't feel was accurate enough, and had a bad false reset. I sold it for a battered MkIII. The .38 was okay, but still suffered the false reset, and was a bit light for full-power loads. I looked at the 9mm model this afternoon, but it was still too light for me. I put a Ruger American .300blk on layaway, and while waiting found a gorgeous SW Model 60-14 sitting under glass for the same price as the Ruger, and pounced. Just my luck, it was another 10% off!

I handled the LCRx in .38 as well. IMO, if they chamber that in an eight-shot .22WMR or a .327 Fed Mag, I'll buy one in a heartbeat. It's the right combo of big enough to control, but light enough to carry all day. If my company would let me, I'd consider one over the issued Model 64 just on the weight savings.

jmort
12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
There is no such thing as false reset. There is user error. The LCR has a long reset and you need to let it reset. User error yes. I just let all my firearms properly reset. No problem.

W.R.Buchanan
12-06-2016, 06:40 PM
As I recall,,, earlier on this subject I recommended a S&W940 which is the nicer rendition of the 9MM Snub Nosed Revolver you got. But you said NOOOO! :bigsmyl2:

Guns are definitely like cars and not every one is for everyone. Unless it's a F-ing Prius! So you pays your money and takes your chances. I've bought a couple of turds myself.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell that gun locally for nearly what you paid for it, if not more. It should be popular due to the 9MM part and just make up a story about how your wife didn't like it cuz it wasn't pink or something. One thing about guns like this is that they are about the most Liquid Asset you can own. They always sell quick.

Here's some good pics of the S&W. The one my Buddy has is a nice feeling Revolver. I have no real use for it but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have it in my car just in case.

Randy

mcdaniel.mac
12-06-2016, 06:44 PM
There is no such thing as false reset. There is user error. The LCR has a long reset and you need to let it reset. User error yes. I just let all my firearms properly reset. No problem.
It is a user error, absolutely, but it's a user error I've only experienced with poor quality DAO guns. I've had or carried several Smiths (10, 64-8, 19-3, 60) and Rugers (LCR, GP100, SP101, Security 6), Dan Wesson, a DAO-conversion Python, and a Taurus 85. I only have the false reset issue with the Taurus and the LCR. I did not experience it with the LCRx even in DA pull, and found the trigger to be very good for a $450 gun.

shoot-n-lead
12-06-2016, 07:02 PM
It is a user error, absolutely, but it's a user error I've only experienced with poor quality DAO guns. I've had or carried several Smiths (10, 64-8, 19-3, 60) and Rugers (LCR, GP100, SP101, Security 6), Dan Wesson, a DAO-conversion Python, and a Taurus 85. I only have the false reset issue with the Taurus and the LCR. I did not experience it with the LCRx even in DA pull, and found the trigger to be very good for a $450 gun.

If you are saying that the LCR is "poor quality"...you are a joke.

I have shot this LCR .357 more than you have probably shot any one or more of your DA revolvers...never missed a lick. And, show me where people that know something about what they are talking about...talk about the LCR being poor quality. It is fine to not like the LCR...but show us some proof of it being poor quality. It has been one of the best selling revolvers made since it was introduced and most of the gunshops that I frequent, can't keep them.

Recoil, is the most common complaint against the LCR.

johniv
12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
BTW they are cleaned and lubed after every outing as well as weekly due to being pocket carried.

Good policy sir. "Take care of your gear, and your gear will take care of you"

mcdaniel.mac
12-06-2016, 07:33 PM
If you are saying that the LCR is "poor quality"...you are a joke.

I have shot this LCR .357 more than you have probably shot any one or more of your DA revolvers...never missed a lick. And, show me where people that know something about what they are talking about...talk about the LCR being poor quality. It is fine to not like the LCR...but show us some proof of it being poor quality. It has been one of the best selling revolvers made since it was introduced and most of the gunshops that I frequent, can't keep them.

Recoil, is the most common complaint against the LCR.
I can only share my experience. The trigger was closer to a Keltec semiautomatic like the P3AT than a good DAO gun, complete with the false reset issue. It's not something I experienced with DAO Smiths and DA function of nicer Rugers, and strangely wasn't something I encountered on the LCRX.

How many rounds would you estimate you've put through your LCR?

Mtnfolk75
12-06-2016, 08:09 PM
BTW they are cleaned and lubed after every outing as well as weekly due to being pocket carried.

Good policy sir. "Take care of your gear, and your gear will take care of you"

Thanx, it is one that I have learned well over the 38 years that I have daily carried a Concealed Firearm :-D

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2016, 05:49 AM
the clips for redhawks. At least the one I had were milled down smith 25 clips that were about half the thickness and yes would bend. Not a real good example of a typical moon clip
One more count of a bent moon clip here.

in the brief time I owned a 45 Colt / 45 ACP Redhawk, I bent a loaded moon clip enough I couldn't load it in the revolver just by carrying it loaded in my pocket. Now sure it wasn't a true moon clip, it was a six shot star clip being called a moon, and those are fragile enough to be bent by hand.

Personally that gun quickly quenched my thirst for a moon clip gun. Haven't missed it, won't replace it. For those that do enjoy moon clips...I'm glad for you and glad it's not me.

35remington
12-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I owned and own the regular thickness ACP ones, among others, and occasionally bend then. Just how I roll. Sometimes I don't know how it happens but they show up bent once in awhile. This despite not remembering treating them harshly in any way.

Believe me, I hate bending clips. If I am careful about treating them gingerly it makes me feel better if I had to use it when it mattered. Unless they were in a well protected carrier my enthusiasm for them as a reload wanes significantly.

Lloyd Smale
12-08-2016, 06:43 AM
I guess that's were we differ too. I carry my mags and clips in a mag holder or clip holder. I don't stick them in my dirty jacket pocket or in the bottom of a tool box. I want to insure my ammo is clean and undamaged. I don't think to many people would carry a spare loaded moon clip in there pocket to begin with. It would be pretty tough to keep from printing. that's why they make mag pouches and clip pouches. Your equipment is only as good as its maintained and treated. I guess a guy could stick a magazine in his back pocket and damage it sitting on it too. don't know to many that do that though. Don't know how you would bend a clip with it even in your front pocket or jacket pocket if you weren't as serious with this stuff as me. I think any blow to your front pocket so hard that it would bend a clip would very quickly have you taking out said clip real fast and looking it over probably on the way to the hospital. Bottom in is anyting can be damaged if your careless enough with it.

35remington
12-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Lloyd, I did not ever try to bend them or handle them carelessly. They just show up bent from time to time.

When you have lots of moon clips and being made of thin bendable sheet steel they get bent once in a while. This never surprises me (nor should it anyone else) given their composition. Bendable metal can get bent.

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2016, 07:13 AM
sure cant argue with that. If its breakable or bendable it will happen. Heck ive found clips that the lips were bent and damaged and speedloaders that were broke too. My point is that carried correctly in a clip pouch your self defense ammo that you carry in a clip is just as reliable as ammo carried in a magazine or speedloader. Stick a mag in your back pocket and it can get damaged too. I just see no difference in a guy who wants to carry it for self defense. Anyone with a lick of sense is going to test chambering of there ammo before they trust there life to it. So if you had a clip that got bent from abuse you surely should be able to weed it out before your life depends on it.
Lloyd, I did not ever try to bend them or handle them carelessly. They just show up bent from time to time.

When you have lots of moon clips and being made of thin bendable sheet steel they get bent once in a while. This never surprises me (nor should it anyone else) given their composition. Bendable metal can get bent.

35remington
12-09-2016, 09:21 AM
In summer a fat clip pouch is very "printy" and needs a sweat inducing belt to hang on. Since pocket carry is bad for moon clips strips or speedloaders get the nod for any pocket carry. Given headspace slack issues on upward shots for the rounds already in the gun, it adds up to "I'll pass" on moonclips.

My reasons are very sound. We all roll how we want. Of the three reload possibilities mentioned, moon clips have the most downsides, both when in the gun and for the reload in my extensive use.

W.R.Buchanan
12-09-2016, 03:32 PM
If you are getting fuzz or pocket lint in your magazines or moon clips I suggest that you could just turn your pants inside out and blow the fuzz out of the pockets every once in a while, then your ammo would stay clean. I take the insoles out of my shoes and blow the fuzz off them as well about every 3 months, keeps my feet feeling good.

If you take care of your equipment it will take care of you. That includes your clothes too.

I trimmed my toenails today as well. Personal maintenance is a necessary part of life.

Checking the status of your carry gun every single day before you holster it is kind of Mandatory in my estimation. Wild Bill reloaded his Colts every day for just that reason. You've got to know for sure that the gun is going to go bang when it needs to, otherwise you are just guessing and that little bit of doubt might just slow you down enough to get you killed.

It is a established fact that most gunfights last 2-3 seconds. Obviously you don't have time to rack the slide or do a chamber check, let alone clean the gun.

Randy

Texas by God
12-09-2016, 09:24 PM
They are ugly but the example of one I fired had no issues(.38 spl) and was plenty accurate for its purpose. I would carry one. BUT my favorite snubby of all is the Detective Special. I like the Chief's Special as well. Best, Thomas.

wrench man
12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Read the first page and just kinda skimmed over the rest as it seemed mostly about moon clips??

I have the LCR-LG and I LOVE that little revolver!, the trigger was a tad gritty out of the box but it has come around very nicely, and yea they are a HANDFULL! with +P ammo, but I don't shoot it with +P very often?
And as a comparison with the FIL's S&W M&P, the Ruger will out shoot the M&P any day of the week with any ammo we put thru them!

wonderwolf
12-10-2016, 05:39 PM
I waited to get a LCR until the .357 mag came out, I knew it had to be coming so I was excited when it finally came out. I've carried mine for a long time and have shot it with a wide array of loadings, it is abusive with the full house .357 loads but I'm carrying it way more than I'm shooting it and keep .38 +P's in it anyways, I just wanted the option of going .357 if I needed it.

I've knocked steel poppers down @ 50 yards with mine, the trigger on mine is heavy but thats ok as I grew up shooting wheel guns so its easy to control. It started my fascination with the .38/357 as a all around combination...as you can see Ruger is well represented here.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/wonderwolf223/media/DSC04123.jpg.html?o=77

No biggie if you don't like the LCR some people don't like 1911's and some don't like glocks...we have options, the rimless revolvers do facinate me but I've never shot one (besides .45 ACP). Would love to try a few different ones someday and see if I like them more than my .357 LCR, I think Charter arms makes a .45 snubbie now?

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/pitbull

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-13-2016, 08:33 PM
(no X)

Tracy
12-20-2016, 11:12 PM
I have an LCR .357 and love it. Actually the steel frame is the only reason I bought the .357 instead of the .38, but so far I've carried and fired it mostly with 125 grain .357s. It chronos right at 1100 fps with those.