PDA

View Full Version : Just got a New 1895 SBL today .

Smoke4320
12-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Just got a New 1895 SBL today .
2 issues out of the box (both are nitpicky but point to carelessness) the 3rd screw from back of the lever rail was 1/8" HIGH.
Had Lock tight on it just not tightened all the way down (it was sticking above the rail very obvious )
the rail is flush all the way around

2nd was the rear sling stud was overtightened by 1/4 turn again very obvious ..
the fit of stock to receiver is consistently about .015-.020 off the receiver sides
metal finish is decent not great ..
Lever edges are mildly sharp could use some smoothing/rounding off
Trigger pull in good . no noticeable creep and about 4 lbs
action is smooth

Now for the good part
I had loaded some NOE 460-350 HPs out of 98/2 alloy powdercoated then sized to .4595
4 loads 5 rds each in 1/2 grain increments of 2400 powder.
So 5 at 24.0 grns 2400, 24.5, 25.0, and 25.5. last loads (25.5grns ) chronos out of my guide gun at 1679 FP so should be nearly the same

first 2 rds of the 24.0 hit 1" hi at 50 yds and less than 1/2" apart mild recoil
Ok lets just see what the 25.5 grns will do .. less than 1" open ghost ring sights .. No load development at all.
Recoil quite manageable .. I could see shooting 50 or so rds not being an issue at all
I see great potential .. Now to send time refining what it likes

Oh by the way it will be in the stand with me in the morning

Blackwater
12-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Good luck in the stand! Hope you blood it first time out!

And the 1895's are great hunting guns. Not necessary, but great nevertheless, and those big bullets DO kill differently than the fast stepping J-bullets do. You shouldn't have any problem following a trail if one runs after the shot. All those little things can be readily fixed in the off season, including sanding the stock and metal together, radiusing the lever, etc. And with accuracy like that, you may never want or "need" to shoot J-bullets in it.

It's not a long range proposition UNLESS you learn to shoot at distance with it really well. Laser range finders help with that these days, and those big bullets kill WAY on out yonder, IF you can just place them right. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it'd be really neat to load up at least 100 rds. and try it on a metallic silhouette range. I think you'd learn a lot from that, even on a handgun silhouette range, that only goes to 200 meters, IIRC. Still a long shot for irons and a gun with a "rainbow trajectory," but eminently doable.

A buddy of mine liked the big, tall full buckhorn sights, and used it at distance like a semi-peep sight, and knew where to hold the bead for various distances. I sat and watched him hit a concrete block at about 250 or more yds., and THEN, shoot the smaller pieces until there was nothing left but rubble! But he's one of the finest shots I've ever known, and he'd done his homework on that distance before I saw him do that, so it was "old hat" to him by then. Still, it's an awfully good lesson on what CAN be done by a good shot with the old warhorse caliber and a good, accurate gun. His was an 1895 also, basically just like yours.

I suspect you're really gonna' enjoy that rifle! I have little real use for mine, but it'll never leave me as long as I live! Those darn things are just habit forming!

Intel6
12-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Nice! I got mine a while back and have been enjoying it a lot. I have few NOE moulds for it including the collar button. That is a fun plinking bullet if you want something like that.

Here is mine with the Leupold scout scope mounted next to my 336BL in 30-30:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Marlin_336_1895_web.jpg

Smoke4320
12-10-2016, 02:11 PM
intel6 have you found a load for a 325 gr or the NOE 460 350 that your gun likes

Intel6
12-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Smoke,

I have been shooting 45 gr of H322 behind my NOE 350 gr (conventionally lubed and GC'd) which gives me right at 1,700 fps out of the SBL. That shoots well for me as a heavier load and I also shoot the same bullet coated with 12 grs. of Unique for a nice 1,000 fps plinking load. I also recommend the NOE collar button for some great plinking loads!

Neal in AZ