PDA

View Full Version : #1 Reason I use French Amber Flints

FrontierMuzzleloading
12-02-2016, 04:43 PM
This lock/frizzen is the factory lock on my Traditions Mountain Rifle with 1/2x5/8" French Amber Flints.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/Traditions%20Firearms/F2.jpg

Close up of another strike to the frizzen.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/Traditions%20Firearms/F3_1.jpg

.455 Webley
12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I have often heard about the quality of these french flints, but pictures like this are worth a thousand words.

big bore 99
12-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Sure looks pretty hot to me. I've read that the ultimate test for a flintlock is to try firing it upside down. Has to be fast to light the prime before it falls. Never tried it myself.

Flintlock1812
12-02-2016, 06:18 PM
That's throwing some good sparks! I like the french amber flints too. I like the Tom fuller Black English flints as well, But I seem to get longer life out of the french.

smokeywolf
12-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Care to reveal your favorite vendor(s) for the French amber flints? Could use some extra flints for a 1835 model Springfield musket.

FrontierMuzzleloading
12-02-2016, 06:46 PM
I've always bought the FA flints from trackofthewolf.com

Flintlock1812
12-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Care to reveal your favorite vendor(s) for the French amber flints? Could use some extra flints for a 1835 model Springfield musket.

Track of the wolf. I buy both my french flints and Tom fuller English flints there.

Tatume
12-02-2016, 07:31 PM
I've used both the French amber and the Tom Fuller English flints for years. I've read, but can't testify, that the French flints are harder, last longer, and wear out the frizzen sooner. It's only a rumor until it's tested, but I buy more English flints as a result.

waksupi
12-02-2016, 07:41 PM
I have tried them, and as was stated, they do wear a frizzen faster. I sure won't say they spark better than Fuller's, I rate them as equal on that basis. I'll use either one, but have hundreds of the English greys, so they find their way into my locks more often. Both flints lasted just as well for me. I'm accustomed to getting around 100+ shots per flint.
I've also tried the Burlington chert flints that are available. Spark okay, but not as hot a spark, and REALLY eat a frizzen. Those are put away for emergency use only. The Arkansas flints aren't worth wasting money on, don't spark enough to light a fart.

A few years ago, my old friend Jack wanted to try some French ambers, but didn't have enough money on him at rendezous. I made a deal with him to go halves, and I got to use the flint for the first six months. Worked fine for me. He said that it didn't work well for him, when it was his turn! [smilie=1:

Tatume
12-02-2016, 07:54 PM
The French amber flints are pretty though. I carry one in my medicine bag.

rfd
12-02-2016, 08:03 PM
I have tried them, and as was stated, they do wear a frizzen faster. I sure won't say they spark better than Fuller's, I rate them as equal on that basis. I'll use either one, but have hundreds of the English greys, so they find their way into my locks more often. Both flints lasted just as well for me. I'm accustomed to getting around 100+ shots per flint.
I've also tried the Burlington chert flints that are available. Spark okay, but not as hot a spark, and REALLY eat a frizzen. Those are put away for emergency use only. The Arkansas flints aren't worth wasting money on, don't spark enough to light a fart.

A few years ago, my old friend Jack wanted to try some French ambers, but didn't have enough money on him at rendezous. I made a deal with him to go halves, and I got to use the flint for the first six months. Worked fine for me. He said that it didn't work well for him, when it was his turn! [smilie=1:

have you tried georgetown chert?

Boaz
12-02-2016, 08:22 PM

I usually use black English because a local guy I have known for years keeps them . I agree with Waksupi the Arkansas flints are trash . When flints got hard to find (a while back, lol) I gave em a shot , NO DICE......junk . I have tried most all in 40 something years of BP shooting , the English and amber are good (not discriminating which wears the frizzen faster) throwing sparks .
For fun I have Knapped local quartz and many local flints ..... English is still my go to . Probably for no more reason than they are consistent in performance and habit .

FrontierMuzzleloading
12-02-2016, 09:19 PM
I don't think the french ambers are hard as they say. Im using them on both cva and traditions frizzens and im not getting any damage. One rifle i've had since 2006.

waksupi
12-02-2016, 11:36 PM
have you tried georgetown chert? Not to my memory.

waksupi
12-02-2016, 11:37 PM
H
I don't think the french ambers are hard as they say. Im using them on both cva and traditions frizzens and im not getting any damage. One rifle i've had since 2006. How much do you shoot them?

FrontierMuzzleloading
12-03-2016, 12:26 AM
I've got about 1800 through the kentucky and 400ish on the hawken woodsman. The point being, since they are spanish guns and the frizzens are supposedly soft, I'd see something as far as damage goes if the flints were that hard.

Col4570
12-03-2016, 10:42 AM
I have recently faced my C V A,Flintlock Frizzen with Springsteel and Hardened it glass hard.It now makes a shower of sparks.I was having poor performance with case hardening the Original face.I use Will Lord Black Flints plus a few I napp myself.As a side subject The Movie " The Revenant" I noticed that their Flintlock Rifles and Muskets never misfired despite the wet conditions.Although only a movie and enjoyable I wonder if in the day they had methods to keep their weapons ready to fire.

Tatume
12-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Try making a cows knee for your rifle. Here's an ad for one, so you can see what it looks like. It's basically a raincoat for your lock.

http://leatherfromthepast.blogspot.com/2014/02/cows-knee.html

Also, use grease to make a gasket around the pan before you close the frizzen. It takes a little practice to get it right, but it's easy to do.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
12-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Another photo (not mine).

scattershot
12-03-2016, 11:58 AM
The Movie " The Revenant" I noticed that their Flintlock Rifles and Muskets never misfired despite the wet conditions.Although only a movie and enjoyable I wonder if in the day they had methods to keep their weapons ready to fire.

...In that same movie, DiCaprio fired a flintlock pistol twice without reloading. Movie magic, to be sure.

Seriously, I have read of sealing the pan with wax, and of using a "cow's knee" cover over the lock area.