PDA

View Full Version : Price of Lead

compass will
06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.metalprices.com/pubcharts/PublicCharts.aspx?metal=pb%20lme&type=L&weight=LB&days=6&size=M&bg=&cs=1&cid=0

I like this trend.

kir_kenix
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
wow...this is good. I was under the impression that lead was still climbing, shows how well I pay attention to these sort of things. This is a very good trend. Now if only copper and brass would begin to recede as well...

WARD O
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Now if only it transfers to shot and bullets !!!!!!

compass will
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a feeling this graphic I posted will keep updating every day.

kir_kenix
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
i imagine it will eventually transfer to shot and bullets WARD O. I suppose the big companies have to purchase their stock months in advance, or otherwise lock into some price for a certain length of time. If this trend continues I'd just about bet that ammo prices will begin crawling back down sometime in the near future. I'd also bet that the ammo prices of the late 1990's will never be available to us again tho.

jameslovesjammie
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree, kir.

It's just like gas prices. Even if gas were to drop back down to $50-60 per barrel, we won't have $1.79 gas again. They'd keep it up in the high 2's low 3's. They got us too used to paying high prices. If all of the sudden we were paying $2.50 for gas, the country would think it was the best thing ever.

dwtim
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
The problem with lead is that there aren't secondary markets that handle small orders for raw materials. I could go out and buy some of that eighty cent lead, but I'm not sure where I could take delivery of a few tons.

I imagine no one who supplies lead-based products to the small buyer is interesting in taking a loss on their current (expensive) inventory, since they absorbed some of the price increases during the initial run up of the prices.

I feel bad for the bullet makers out there, but now I've invested so much into casting that unfortunately their products will be collecting dust on store shelves, not my shelves.

wfsdno
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I've been paying .20/pd for lead and W/W.

I was paying 1.20/pd for brass casings but that just jumped to 1.50/pd.

Start looking at scrap yards and recycle shops. (just stay away from mine!!!)

Roger

Tom Herman
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
30 cents a pound for weheel weights, and 60 cents a pound for relatively clean scrap lead.
I've got sources for wheel weights, so the only thing I've had to buy is 50 pounds of scrap lead to alloy with.
It's good to see prices coming down.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

runfiverun
06-19-2008, 01:01 AM
the price is coming down on the opn market the problem lies in the fact that people
were paying the 20.00 per bucket before....attitude.
it may well come down to having to buy from a refinery in large quantities,picked up,
to ever see the .60 price again..

randyrat
06-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Here is a good link to show the lead and other metals.
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html
It helps when you go into a scrap yard to know the price and say geee the price is dropping through the floor on lead. Wanna sell me some.

yarro
06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
It will be a bit before you start to see the price of lead come down for bullets and shot as the manufactures were having to stockpile lead as delivery was getting spotty when demand was real high. Once they use up the expensive stuff, prices will start to drop some. Shipping is still higher, but maybe China's decrease in the subsidy for fuel will burn the oild speculators enough to get the price of that to come down a bit too.

-Yarro

Old Ironsights
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
As the price of lead drops and the price of fuel increases I think we will see fewer WW & Battery mfgs willing to pay the freight to reclaim WWs from all over creation.

We may start getting our "Beer Buckets" back.

milkorder
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
The price of lead isn't the problem. It won't be long before all wheel weights will either be zinc or steel. I work for a tire company that has over 400 locations in the NW and we are switching over to steel weights in the near future. Wheel weight lead makes great bullets. What are we going to do when it drys up?

trickg
06-21-2008, 10:27 PM
The price of lead isn't the problem. It won't be long before all wheel weights will either be zinc or steel. I work for a tire company that has over 400 locations in the NW and we are switching over to steel weights in the near future. Wheel weight lead makes great bullets. What are we going to do when it drys up?
We'll probably have to resort to other means to find and alloy lead, to include paying much more for it than we should have to.

Shotgun Luckey
06-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Here a a good link to check before hitting the scrap yard:

http://www.scrapindex.com/metal.html

compass will
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
that's a good link Luckey, it shows WW is bring less then 1/2 of what the lead price is.

hershey
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
i checked what i could buy lead at yesterday at the scrap yard, it was .55, i should of taken it i had money, just did not feel like fighting my way through the line of cars.

cohutt
06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Not saying i told ya so or anything:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19704

but i told ya so
:mrgreen:

trickg
06-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I think I found a source for WW today - I'll have to check back tomorrow, but it's a place where they know me and to my knowledge, they actually pay someone to come and cart them off. Unless there is something in place that prevents them from changing that setup, I'd be more than happy to take anything and everything they have off of their hands from now until further notice. Beer buckets? Could be! :D

I live within 5 miles of at least 15-20 different tire places - hopefully I can find a source and get a good supply before they all switch to steel or zinc.