PDA

View Full Version : Mauser peep sight options?

Tackleberry41
12-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I got my Spanish 1916, but the sights are just as bad as any other old mauser. $79 for a mojo seems a a bit steep. I have this one on my Yugo 48. But bought it 15 yrs ago, and no idea who made it, doesnt come up on google. Looks like it would work on the new mauser, but the pin is wrong size. 181846

There is the williams sights, guess they require a hole drilled in side of receiver. The rifle was drilled in past for scope mounts, filled with epoxy. Would the Williams 96 mauser fit with some modifications?

Tackleberry41
12-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Interesting nobody has ever put a peep on a mauser. I figured it out for myself.

corbinace
12-03-2016, 03:58 PM
So, what did you come up with for your 1916?

I tried a Scout mount for a scope but that was unacceptable. Went back to the terrible blade for the moment.

On this arm, I would not hesitate to drill, cut or grind. (it is that bad already)

FAsmus
12-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Tackleberry41 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?32905-Tackleberry41):

The Mauser 98 is easily equipped with a receiver sight: Two drilled & tapped holes, whittle off a little wood to relieve for the base & staff and you're done.

The deal is to get rid of the inverted "V" of the front sight. The darn thing is hopeless. My method is to have a shop mill off the issue front base, cutting off the old military dove-tail and cut a regular 3/8's dove-tail in the the remaining portion of the base. I use the lowest Lyman M17A front sight for my rifles. It works great.

If you can't find a reasonable deal for current production receiver sights I have a couple you might be able to use.

- Forrest

Tackleberry41
12-03-2016, 07:22 PM
I was unwilling to cut or grind anything on the rifle. No its not worth much, but no need. I looked at the one on my other mauser, since its not really needed. The pin is bigger but not something that couldn't be fixed. But its wider than the one used on the Spanish. Certainly wasnt gonna start grinding on it. I have a box full of random sights taken off things or bought and never used.

Had 2 of the Williams barrel mount style sights, bought at one time or another for some project. A file made the base narrow enough to fit in the existing base, the bottom flat. So not a big deal to mount a williams peep to it. Some epoxy in the bottom to ensure a good fit, some screws. Finish it monday, when my sons at school. The peep is 1000x better than that factory one.

FAsmus
12-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Tackleberry41;

Yes, I did a similar fix on my M31 Swiss.

For me I sawed offf the windage portion off a regular old Lyman 66 I had laying around, cut off the M31 issue leaf to fit and welded the piece of the Lyman 66 to the the remaining piece of rear sight of the M31. This provided me with windage AND a peep rear.

I controlled elevation with a 6-40 cap screw through a drilled & tapped hole in the old leaf sight. I adjust for elevation with a machinist's scale.

This worked quite well.

Good luck - Forrest