PDA

View Full Version : Drums, fire signals and yodals.

44man
12-01-2016, 04:11 PM
No deer seen at all even where we can't hunt. I understand deer under pressure but why do ALL of them go under cover. OOPS, forgot cell phones!

white eagle
12-01-2016, 05:40 PM
seems to be that way every year
after the first shots settle in they get wise quick
scarce as hens teeth
give it a break take the pressure off of them
they will roll back into their routines

44man
12-01-2016, 08:20 PM
My neighbor shot a nice doe in his yard, first deer ever. I had to go show how to gut, get the liver and heart. He did good. I have to go show how to skin and cut in the morning.
He is one happy camper.
I was out in my stand and didn't see a thing. I have to get his deer's cell phone numbers!
Nothing better then a friends first deer. He made a perfect shot and fell apart after.

leftiye
12-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Dangerous man! Get it done, then worry about it.

Vopie
12-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Remember hearing the late great "AltHeat" tell a "deer whiner" "If you've sat here for 3 days and haven't seen a thing, maybe you alto change your tactics".... He was one hell of a deer hunter, not a "stump setter" but a true hunter... God Bless him, I miss him....

Rick R
12-02-2016, 10:27 AM
I got a four point with the crossbow and an eight point opening day with the .300Blk. Everyone around here is seeing few doe this year. Several small button and spike bucks over the two month period but even they went into hiding. Game camera showed that the deer were at the feeder at midnight thirty along with a herd of raccoons that looked like baby bears. No mast to speak of, I don't know what they're eating.

But sitting in the woods is always better than sitting at a desk.

waksupi
12-02-2016, 12:12 PM
When they seem to disappear, I hope for rain or snow, and still hunt. Two steps, then glass. Hunt the bedded deer. It's amazing how many can't slow down enough, and walk right past a deer. If a rabbit could hide in a patch of grass, so can a deer. When I was young, dad killed some nice bucks right out in the middle of picked corn fields, where you would swear nothing could hide.

w5pv
12-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Go slow and stay with your back to a tree ,you will start seeing dem deers in places that you thought they would never be.

44man
12-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Even still hunting we have not kicked up or seen a deer. Most places they bed in are so thick you can't see 10 feet. Lots of sign but you can't enter where they are.
We have moved many times but they are not coming out before dark.

41mag
12-06-2016, 06:03 AM
You need to try heading out at around 9:30 in the morning and go until around 2:00'ish in the afternoon. Around our area and a lot of others I have hunted, the deer get tuned in with the dawn and dusk patrol, and move at times when movement is the least. They will alter their patturn so that when hunters are usually out trying the hardest they are laying up. Then around 10'ish when most hunters are heading in for breakfast they are just starting to get snacky and once it settles down, they will ease out and grab a bite.

My daughter is notorious for sleeping in and not heading out to the woods until around 10'ish and sitting to around 2:00 or later then coming in. She has taken 4 of the best bucks off our little farm that have been taken. I have also had prety good luck doing this when the deer seem to have evaporated from the landscape. I slip out mid morning and either find a nice oak flat or set up over the edge of a pasture and have watched as the woods come alive. Might give it a try especially if you are seeing cam pics of night time feeding. They will also hit it again around the same times during the day.

44man
12-07-2016, 11:35 AM
That is true, deer key on hunter movements and mid day can be best. Some sit or stand all day but I can't. Deer that feed at night also bed at night and will get up to feed again at mid day. I know that but to sit or stand long enough is hard.
I agree, just go later.

leftiye
12-08-2016, 08:42 AM
There are the trophies taken by those who remain in camp too..............

44man
12-08-2016, 10:13 AM
One day in Ohio I was in a stand that I could see the parking lot at Sleepy Creek. I was at a crossing on a creek. I seen a huge buck walk between cars and come my way. Across a big field of brush. He was near the crossing but turned to come on the wrong side. I could not shoot my bow that way. He tried to jump across and failed, got stuck in the mud behind me. He struggled big time to get out. He was full of mud. Shook like a dog and had a funny look on his face, embarrassed I guess. He walked off. I still laugh about it.