PDA

View Full Version : Slugs through a fixed full

Jim atlas
12-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Howdy!
Quick question: how much larger than the choke can a slug be before it might cause problems? Specifically, I'm wondering about the 12 ga shuttlecocks BPI sells in a 16 ga with a fixed full. I don't know how hard their slugs are, but they're advertised as being .660". I assume they're intended to be loaded in a 12 ga shotcup, but thinking about using them just on cards in a 16. Based on it's shape, and even if it's a hard cast, it's still not harder than steel, I *feel* like it should be safe for the choke, but you know what happens when we base actions on feelings.
Thanks.

Texas by God
12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I would test fire them in a inexpensive gun like a Topper before any other gun. It otter work but guessing as well.

Taylor
12-01-2016, 04:24 PM
your shoulder might not like it,I speak from experience,I won't do it again.

Jim atlas
12-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Well, the two guns I'd use it in are both sub $175--I'm very fond of them, but they're by no means safe queens. At the same time , I'd hate to wreck them needlessly. I may give them a whirl.
As far as recoil, these shuttlecocks are only 450 grains-- just a skosh over the standard 16 ga load. And 492 grain loads at ~1300 fps are no skeet loads to be sure, but neither are most 12 ga slug loads, right? I usually add a fair amount of weight to any gun I'm using when working on duck loads and the like. Amazing how much difference a few empty hulls filled with shot in the mag helps.
Anyhow, when bambi is scooting by, I don't notice much :Fire:
Thanks!
Any one else load 16 ga slugs?

longbow
12-01-2016, 08:06 PM
They are swaged slugs so soft lead.

I think I would contact BPI for their opinion on using those slugs through a full choke in a 16 ga. gun. If the nose is solid they may be a bit much for a full choke even being soft lead. I wouldn't shoot a full bore round ball through a full choke and I think those shuttlecock slugs are solid nose so similar to a round ball if they hit a choke. Full bore Fosters have thin skirt and nose so they definitely swage through a choke.

I think they'd be fine in a shotcup in 12 ga. because the shotcup will squish.

They are very similar to the Rapine slug made for shotcups and I tried some of those that Greg Sappington sent me. The skirts are so thin they collapsed rather dramatically. I've post pics of recovered slugs.

If BPI says they are okay or you decide to go ahead, I'd fill the skirts with hot melt glue, silicone caulk or similar to keep the skirts from collapsing.

YMMV

Longbow

I just noticed that BPI has Gualandi DGS slus in 16 ga. why not just buy some of those? you know they'll work.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-02-2016, 05:35 PM
It depends what you mean by safe. It is most unlikely to burst or crack the choke, in a modern or halfway modern barrel, and it won't do the shooter or bystanders any harm. It is possible that it will progressively swell the choke, reducing it closer and closer to cylinder, just as steel shot can. A slug surrounded by some sort of resilient material, so that it can be pushed through with a rod, shouldn't even do that.

As to recoil, it is a rearward reaction to the forward movement of bullet, gases and fouling. Gun and ejecta have equal momentum, mass multiplied by velocity - not energy, mass times the square of velocity, or the gun would whack you about as hard as the bullet whacks something else.

Nothing extra moves forward, or at an increased forward velocity, as a result of a slug hitting the choke.