PDA

View Full Version : Ross Rifle MkIII

AbitNutz
11-30-2016, 06:18 PM
So I just picked up a sweet Ross MkIII. This the much maligned Canadian WWI rifle that had a the reputation of being able to be reassembled incorrectly and blowing the bolt back through the user's forehead....bad luck that.

Several things I have found. Number one is that this is without a doubt the most accurate WWI combat rifle. It is close to MOA with my 303 handloads. It is stupid accurate. It's right there with my K31, if the ammo is up to it.

Second...some nimrod really could reassemble this thing wrong and make a third eye in his head....
It is shockingly easy to do this. However, the user should recognise that the bolt is not going into battery by the way it feels...right? Maybe, if the rifle is spotlessly clean and lubed up with Frog lube you can absolutely tell something is amiss by the feel of it. Add some mud and crud...I'm not so sure. I thought you would have to do something really extraordinary to have this thing fire out of battery...nope. The first time I reassembled the bolt after a clean and rinse in my ultrasound, I assembled the bolt wrong. I knew it was wrong right away but the fact is, it was sooo easy. It was so easy to do that if I wasn't a nice guy and didn't like the rifle so much, I'd hand it to my brother-in-law and ask him to tear it down, clean it and test fire it...funeral services would be forthcoming.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-30-2016, 07:38 PM
They are an interesting firearm with an interesting history. Be careful. Nice addition to your collection.