PDA

View Full Version : Found Out Not All Tang Sight Windage Adjusters are the Same

oldracer
11-30-2016, 12:47 AM
Well the rain went away so I took "Miss Rosie" the under hammer slug gun to the range to get the tang sight settings down in my note book as the LRO told me on the phone there was no wind. I was a tad chilly, temp was 52 degrees which for San Diego is dead of winter stuff. Anyways, first shot was 6 inches to the left of center and 4 inches low. Raised the eye piece and the impact went right up even with the bulls eye with same left hit. So I looked in my note book and got the readings from my Pedersoli Gibbs and cranked in the new setting. Bang went the gun and whammo went the left vertical 1 x 2 flopping around. One of the ROs who is a long time Schuetzen man laughed like crazy and said "you killed it"! He asked how I adjusted and told him and then we checked my note book and found I was using a Pedersoli sight set on Miss Rosie but the Gibbs has a Lee Shaver set and the little hash marks are backwards! So I cranked back the other way and bang, nearly dead center. Whew, as far as I know I won't have to buy a new target stand.

Tatume
11-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Yeah, some target sights have reversed threads. It can get confusing if you have examples of both.

johnson1942
11-30-2016, 10:53 AM
i always get a scope or tang sight wrong the first try when i havent shot for a while. then i take time and figure it out and do it right. as i get older i like things to just happen with out figureing it out. however life is not like that, keep the post coming old racer, i like reading all of them.

big bore 99
11-30-2016, 11:11 AM
That gets confusing for me too. I have one of those underhammer (belly slappers) in .58. I put a Williams peep and Lyman hood on mine and it shoots nice.

Standing Bear
11-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Boy memories. My son's offhand gun has an Anshutz (sp?) rear sight. APPARENTLY the German word for Left starts w an "R". TC

johnson1942
11-30-2016, 07:26 PM
men dont like to figure things out but women do. i let my wife figure most things out and go with the flow. if she wasnt here the tv would never ever work and just sit their. i get the sights right after a while but never at first attempt. it a wonderment we can even get dressed in the morning.

oldracer
11-30-2016, 10:46 PM
You have a good point there Roger, since I retired several years ago I keep my PJ's on all day unless I need to go somewhere. Most of the tops have oil stains in the belly area!!!

M-Tecs
11-30-2016, 11:44 PM
For NRA match rile sights rotation is counter clockwise for up and right, however, service rile is clockwise and the same as European sights. Confused yet?