PDA

View Full Version : Slug debate begins !!!

JohnClark7886
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Let the games begin, I am opening up a can of worms. What is your favorite slug load for deer sized game using a 12 gauge? Give us the type of slug, load configuration and grouping size that you usually get at 50 and 100 yards. If you have an ultra long range set up that works give us that too...Let's see how many different variations we get and if there is any rhyme or reason to any of them. Also let us know if you are shooting out of a rifled barrel or smoothbore. Now to sit back and watch the fireworks...........:holysheep:redneck::Fire:

Hackleback
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
175 gr of FF under a Dixie slug in a AA hull. Will do 4" or less @ 50. out of an H&R USH in 12 ga. You WILL know when it goes off.

Dixie Slugs
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Interesting Indeed! However, we shold know what the slug/bullet is desired to do? Thin skin deer? Wild Hogs? Large and/or dangerous game? Or whatever?
James @ Dixie Slugs

Blammer
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
What is your favorite slug load for deer sized game using a 12 gauge?

I believe this is the second sentance above.

tommygirlMT
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Favorite Slug Load ?????

Okay -- 1-1/2oz. full bore diameter custom cut 10ga. drive-key, improved-foster slug mold. Slug has Lee tumble lube pattern on sides and has a hammer head shaped nose (large flat menplate with shallow tapared sides like the Lee modern mini-ball muzzle loader mold). Loaded inside a federal 3-1/2" hull with a FED209A primer, Alliant STEEL powder, and Felt and waxed cork wads.

Puts out about 1,400 fps. out of the sawed off or the double both of which are cylinder bores (left side barrel only on double gun, right side barrel is choked so a double or triple ball load goes in that side)

Accuracy? Well I can consistently hit a paper plate sized area with either gun out to any sensible smooth bore slug range.

Works fine on deer -- used mostly for bear hunting though.

Dixie Slugs
06-19-2008, 10:04 AM
OK...I read the second sentance! Now how about are we talking about a smoothbore or rifled barrel?.....James

BABore
06-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Mossberg 500's, one with 24", and second one with 20" cantilever rifled bbls. Barnes Expander copper HP saboted bullets over Hodgdon Universal Clays. Barnes supplied sabot and X12 gas seal. New Fiocchi 2 3/4" hulls and primers. Roll crimp.

24 inch gun, 1 1/4", 3-shot groups at 100 yards.

20 inch gun, 3/4", 3-shot groups at 75 yards.

Both guns with 4x scopes from a bench.

JohnClark7886
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
OK...I read the second sentance! Now how about are we talking about a smoothbore or rifled barrel?.....James

Jim, that is on the last line, let us know if you are shooting a smoothbore or rifled barrel...thanks/John