PDA

View Full Version : Wall of shame for me!!

rockrat
11-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Bought a new rifle at Wally world, a Savage 270 that I planned on pulling the barrel, changing bolt heads and making a 300 win mag varmint barrel gun. Had already rechambered a 308 barrel, just needed a long action. Luckily it was on sale!!! Made it a little easier to swallow what came next.

In the shop and pulled out my action wrench and barrel nut wrench and went to work. Durn, that nut was on tight. Heated it a bit as suspected something like rosin or loctite on the threads. Little extra HP and the nut came loose, but the twist in the action did NOT. Had pulled out my action wrench for a SHORT action, not the LONG action wrench! [smilie=b:. didn't grab the rails in the front of the receiver only the rear.

Came out with a new bolt, accutrigger, stock and new 270 barrel. gonna send the remains to BATFE so they can take it off their registry

Sigh!!

M-Tecs
11-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Savage may work with you on this. Contact them first.

rundownbear
11-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Don't send that in!

I have successfully straightened several receivers that were damaged in the same manner. If you don't want to mess with it, please sell it to me!

Smoke4320
11-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Wow . Thanks for manning up and alerting us once again to be careful in what we do
Hope it works out well in the selling/replacement arena

Texas by God
11-29-2016, 02:36 PM
I twisted a genuine Mauser 1909 Peruvian action. I almost cried then & I'm misty thinking about it after all these years. Oh well caca occurs. Best, Thomas.