PDA

View Full Version : Tiny bits of lead on mold face

Chris C
11-27-2016, 05:34 PM
I just realized today I've got tiny bits of lead stuck on the mold face surfaces of one of my molds. Not sure I understand how they got there, but more importantly, I need to know how to get them off. I've tried heating the surface with a torch and using a brass brush..............but I'm hesitant to heat too much with a torch because it's not a uniform heat and I don't want to warp the molds. I'm sure these will affect the closing of the mold because I've noticed some minor flashing. How do I get it off?

farmerjim
11-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Brass, Aluminum, or Iron mold?

dragon813gt
11-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Brass, Aluminum, or Iron mold?

Ditto, if it's brass you can potentially have a hard time getting it off. Typically you heat the mold up and hit the spot w/ some mold lube and a toothpick. I know many use beeswax on the spot but I don't have any handy. Hopefully it's not a brass mold and it's not tinned.

jcren
11-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Heat the mold to casting temp and use a orange stick (nail care stuff) or popsicle stick to scrape off. Very hard to do if mold is not hot.

Chris C
11-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Sorry guys, I failed to mention it's an aluminum mold.

ShooterAZ
11-27-2016, 06:30 PM
I have found that the best way is to heat up the mold to temp, and gently scrape it with the square base of a plain based boolit. The lead will stick to the lead. Just be careful not to burn your hand!

farmerjim
11-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Do not use a brass brush.
Use sharpened Popsicle stick, toothpicks. You can get some off at room temp, but heat it up on a hotplate to do what you couldn't get off cold. You can use a metal scribe very very carefully on the vent lines. A tinned copper wire heated hot will sometimes wick up the lead.

Chris C
11-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Just got an e-mail back from the mold maker and he said the next time I get the mold up to casting temperature, just take a Q-tip or rag and it'll come right off. DUH!!! Did I mention I'm a fairly new caster? Still learnin' new stuff every day. Thanks for the responses.

Hick
11-27-2016, 07:12 PM
Fairly new or not-- I think some us just learned something-- glad you raised the question.

Chris C
11-27-2016, 09:05 PM
That's what these forums are for................as long as things stay cordial! :drinks:

gwpercle
11-27-2016, 09:07 PM
While casting I keep a square of rough cloth on hand to scrub off those pesky bits.
I'm not sure what it is , something like burlap or canvas cloth, thick and coarse textured but it will not scratch the aluminum block. Works on steel / iron moulds too. As soon as you notice the bits , remove them carefully.
Gary

DocSavage
11-27-2016, 09:20 PM
If I have lead stick In place it shouldn't I heat the area with a torch and when the lead puddles up I use a rag damped with a spritz of WD40 and the Lea wipes right off.

Grmps
11-27-2016, 09:23 PM
I just coat the face with the hot lead and everything peels right off.

Chris C
11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
I just coat the face with the hot lead and everything peels right off.

Hey, that's a good idea.

runfiverun
11-27-2016, 10:07 PM
not when you drop it in the pot it ain't.
I just wipe the specks off with a shop rag if I see them while casting.
if not then a chop-stick or popsicle stick comes in handy.

tomme boy
11-27-2016, 11:36 PM
It was Gear that mentioned that it was antimony. I had one mold that I tried the sticks and heated and wiped. And heated and a q-tip with oil. It finally came off when I heated it up HOT and put the beeswax on the spot and wipes it off.

Mk42gunner
11-28-2016, 05:04 AM
A rag/ popsicle stick or toothpick has always worked for me.

Robert

toallmy
11-28-2016, 08:19 AM
I keep a old shop rag with bee's wax on it near when I'm casting , because sometimes I get on a roll and smear the top of the block and bottom of the plate , along with a pencil and some thick toothpicks . And that usually takes care of the little specks of lead .

Green Ghost
11-28-2016, 08:42 AM
+1 using the base of a lead bullet. That aluminum is very soft, I wouldn't use a brass brush on it. Brass is harder than aluminum.

robg
11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
I wear leather gloves so when the molds hot just rub with my thumb, worked OK .

Spector
11-28-2016, 06:35 PM
The problem is if you don't see them and close the mold on them they get mashed into the vent lines.

I use woven Kevlar gloves to open the sprue cutter and I catch the sprues in my hand to be returned to the pot. Same for wrinkled or incomplete fill-out boolits.

Dropping bad boolits from the mold back into the pot is just inviting lead to stick on the mold faces.

Love my woven Kevlar work gloves. Good to wipe hot lead off of molds and sprue plates with. And the mold rubdown with a pencil helps too.

Mike

Mitch
11-28-2016, 10:58 PM
it seems most molds make tiny bits some more than others.I keep a pise of burlap and 0000 steel wool for wipeing it off while I am casting.Use some good lube on the top of the mold and sprue plate 2 cycle oil er bullplate is what I use.try to keep the mold upright not tilted when you open the mold this way the bits fall strait down and don't get on the face.hope this helps