PDA

View Full Version : Air Gun Pellets

Toymaker
11-27-2016, 12:07 PM
My range has a top rated indoor airgun range used by a number of local high school teams. They started emptying their traps and are selling 20 lb buckets of pellets for $20. Return the bucket and get a $5 refund. I picked up 80 lbs. It's got paper and plastic from the backers in it but that will burn off, outside, when I turn it into ingots. The carbonized dross will help clean the lead too. They'll be cleaning out the traps on a regular basis too.

I read somewhere about the content of pellets, but don't remember where. I recall that most were pure lead but some had a little tin in them. A little tin isn't going to hurt anything. After I make ingots I'll test and check the content.

jsizemore
11-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Here ya' go:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?313749-Air-Rifle-pellet-XRF-test&highlight=pellets

GhostHawk
11-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a score to me!

melloairman
11-27-2016, 10:20 PM
My range has a top rated indoor airgun range used by a number of local high school teams. They started emptying their traps and are selling 20 lb buckets of pellets for $20. Return the bucket and get a $5 refund. I picked up 80 lbs. It's got paper and plastic from the backers in it but that will burn off, outside, when I turn it into ingots. The carbonized dross will help clean the lead too. They'll be cleaning out the traps on a regular basis too.

I read somewhere about the content of pellets, but don't remember where. I recall that most were pure lead but some had a little tin in them. A little tin isn't going to hurt anything. After I make ingots I'll test and check the content.
You might ask how many are using non lead pellets . I do not think you will have a problem unless there are a lot of shooters using them . They are becoming more popular as time goes by .Marvin

Black Beard
11-28-2016, 05:38 AM
I think that some non-lead pellets might be zinc. They should be removed asap when you see them. They will go yellow and make toxic fumes if you try and melt them.

Toymaker
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the warning about zinc pellets. I'll watch but spotting them may be a problem. These people are serious shooters. Virginia Thrasher started and trained there. So I figure they're using the highest quality competition pellets. The top shooters are testing different lots and when they find one that's special they'll buy enormous amounts of the same lot.

Mytmousemalibu
11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
I have some non-lead pellets for extra high velocity out of my Gamo, pretty sure they are made out of tin. They are soft, easy to deform with a fingernail. If they were zinc I would guess I couldn't do that. I'd jump all over a bucket of pellets like that!

too many things
11-28-2016, 11:36 AM
I would think it would be hard to make pellets out of zinc. just my thought non lead would be tin

runfiverun
11-28-2016, 06:03 PM
a little zinc isn't the end of the world.
we probably have some in all of our ww alloy and don't even know it.